Chapter 16: More Than Words

My Single Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 16 More Than Words

 

Life is like writing a diary using a permanent pen. When one makes mistakes on writing their life story, no one can erase it as if it never existed and no one can renew it as if nothing happened. However, it can be fixed and there’s always a way to make it right. Just like in life, when one makes mistakes of their past, they can only move forward and experience something new to make things right and back to its way. No one is ever late to start anew.   

 

“You came late today. I was about to leave because I thought you’re not coming. You're supposed to be here earlier.” Hyoyeon said while she's guiding her patient who is exercising her leg as she holds on the pole for support.

 

“Sorry, something came up.” Jessica replied then hardly takes another step forward.

 

“Where are your friends by the way?”

 

“They’re all busy.” Jessica once more answered short as she hides the fact that she and Tiffany had a fight earlier.

 

After having a misunderstanding with Tiffany, she decided to attend her daily therapy session all by herself hoping that she can calm her mind and ease her stress over their complicated situation. By solely focusing with the therapy, she’s hoping that she can at least take Tiffany off her mind, even for just the remaining time of the day.

 

“Anyway, you’re showing a very good progress despite of the injuries you had but you have to be patient when using your crutches and don’t rush on walking with it to avoid accidents. You don’t want to cause trouble for your friends again, right? So, don’t make them worry and keep calm. Don’t abuse your healing injuries or else it might lead to worse. You’ll get healed soon if you follow your therapy properly.” Hyoyeon patted her back before leaving her to attend another patient.

 

“Get healed soon, huh? Am I really getting any better?” Jessica exhaled as negative thoughts flowed to her and makes her way for a seat to rest her exhausted leg.

 

“Please have some water.” The nurse who noticed her tiredness handed her water and she gladly accepted it. “Where’s your personal assistant?” He then asked as she helps Jessica wiping her sweat on her back.

 

“I don’t know.” Jessica kept on with her short replies.

 

“She’s trending because of Nichkhun. Even the other patients know about her already. It must be hard for her to go out especially now that she’s gaining popularity. Just this morning, there was—”

 

“I don’t want to talk about her, please.” Jessica cut off the nurse just when he was about to tell the kiss scandal that surfaced a while ago where she knows nothing yet.

 

Jessica looks around and her some patients are indeed staring at her, not as a fellow patient but as a president of the biggest and most competitive company business in the nation and as a president of a personal assistant who’s hot in the public’s eyes.

 

“I’m supposed to be relaxing here but I guess it’s giving me more stress.” Jessica again let out a sigh of disappointment. 

 

It’s already late afternoon when Jessica ended her session. With her driver, they make way out of the hospital and asked him to drive anywhere but not going back home just yet. Jessica wishes to free her mind and wants to distract herself from all the stresses and problems she’s been carrying the whole time.

 

“Amusement park…” Jessica muttered to herself at the scene of a Ferris wheel from up high when the car stopped before the pedestrian lane.

 

By the sidewalks, there she saw Taeyeon alone as she’s eating street foods looking like a kid who was bullied by high school students and Jessica couldn’t help but giggle. Wearing just plain white shirt and blue jeans, Jessica leered at kid-looking Taeyeon.

 

“Hey, Kim Taeyeon!” Jessica rolled down her window and shouted at her from inside the van.

 

Taeyeon turned around, “Jessica?”

 

“Come! Fast!” Jessica ordered and pointed at the traffic light’s time before it turns green for a go.

 

Taeyeon finished her food in one bite and a big gulp before jogging fast to Jessica’s van. She successfully made it inside before the light could even turn green and the vehicles swoon fast behind her.

 

“Whew, that was close.” Taeyeon puffed and occupied the seat next to Jessica. “I didn’t expect to see you around here.”

 

“Me either. What are you doing alone in a place like this?”

 

“I work on that amusement park and I just finished working on my duties so I’m free.” Taeyeon said and pointed at the same Ferris wheel that Jessica was staring a while ago.

 

“Oh so that’s why.” Jessica nodded.

 

“Why did you call me out anyway?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Huh?” Jessica watched at her dumbfounded. “Now that you mention it, I wonder why.”

 

Taeyeon laughed at her sudden remark, “Let me guess. You had a fight with Fany.”

 

“You can say that but I don’t want to talk about her for now. As much as possible, I want to do something that will help me relieve my stress.” Jessica frowned.

 

“I know!” Taeyeon jumps off with a sudden excitement on her face as she held Jessica’s hands before pronouncing, “Let’s go on a date!”

 

“Excuse me?” Jessica raised an eyebrow.

 

“Oh sorry, that sounded wrong. What I’m trying to say is, let’s hang out while we’re in this area.” Taeyeon awkwardly grinned. She then tapped the driver’s back and requested him to stop by the corner.

 

As soon as Taeyeon opened the van, Jessica immediately covered her face at the sight of tons of passersby, “Wait! Close the door! There are a lot of people outside! They will recognize me!”

 

Taeyeon brought out her cap and let Jessica wear it and got an unused face mask out of her bag and placed it on Jessica’s face. She showed her own look on a mirror and proudly said, “There! Perfect disguise! Now no one will recognize you!”

 

Jessica can only blink her eyes several times from what just Taeyeon did. She’s dragged out of the van with her crutch that came late and caused her to lose balance for a second. But thanks to Taeyeon’s grip, Jessica went back on her feet to meet tons of people walking all over.

 

“Mr. Driver! I’ll take care of Jessica. We can manage from here on.” Taeyeon went to ask the driver and so he did drove away.

 

Taeyeon hops back to Jessica who’s frozen on the side as she’s not used to be on such place, more of a commoner’s street. She looks like a lost cat with her sharp eyes ogling every single person who closely passes by in front of her.

 

“Welcome to commoner’s world!” Taeyeon said to stir Jessica up from her nervousness and uneasiness. She led her and started to introduce the area, “Right now, we’re on a place called the shopping district. Vendors mostly sell foods and fashion trends in here. All of it may be so cheap for you but for us commoners, everything’s so damn expensive! Workers often spend some quality time here after long hours of work.”

 

“Why did you bring me here? I’m getting dizzy!” Jessica complained as she struggles on walking with her crutch as the thick crowd is making it harder for her.

 

“You said that you want to do something that will relieve your stress. So here we are! I’ll let you experience something new so that you’ll forget momentarily your problems.”

 

Jessica stopped and realized, “Well you’re right. I wouldn’t remember my problem if you didn’t mention just now.”

 

“See? It’s effective!” Taeyeon clapped to her own achievement. “I learned it from a book. It says that if one is having a breakdown, the best way to get out of it is to experience something new. You’re a rich and elegant woman so I thought putting you on a common place is the best way!” Taeyeon then said so proud and fully smiled at Jessica with her thumbs up.

 

“She’s right. But if she keeps acting childish like that, she’ll just end up reminding me of Tiff.” Jessica thought. She returned the smile with the same one and said, “I’m on it! Just make sure you’re ready to catch me when I fall and get tired from walking!”

 

“At your service ma’am!” Taeyeon saluted and leaped beside her date for the day.

 

Meanwhile, the young Jung came back home from her endless researches and school works. Pursuing her dream to become a doctor is the path she chose with the support of her sister. Therefore, Soojung can only get updates of her sister from Luna who happens to be one of her best friends.

 

“I’m home.” Soojung said to no one as she’s seen nothing but an empty home.

 

That’s what she thought until she heard a woman weeping from her sister’s room. Because all the lights are turned off and only the sunset reflects through their windows, Soojung shivered from what she heard. Then another weep and sniffing sound was heard, making Soojung to hesitantly walk towards her sister’s room and slowly open it.

 

“Fany-unnie?” Soojung the lights and saw Tiffany crying hard by the corner, as she curled herself while hugging her knees tight.

 

Tiffany responded with another snuffle and tears overflowing from her eyes, down to her cheeks. There are rolls of used tissues scattered on the floor with a stain of lipstick. As soon as she remembers what happened earlier, she’ll cry more and wipes her lips with her arm.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter