Chapter 1: Confused Heart

My Single Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 1  Confused Heart

 

Strive and survive, live and struggle, fight and endure, that’s how people nowadays go on living without realizing their dreams and ignoring their ambitions. “I want to be a doctor but I have no money for college.”, “I want to be an artist but I’m so ugly so I won’t reach for it anymore.”, “I want to put up a business but I don’t have a capital so I’ll just work under an employer.”. With these thoughts in mind, with these kinds of thinking, people tend to be hopeless and continue on living with their boring lives jumping from one job to another. In other words, people these days don’t have self-confidence to do something beyond what they can do with their current lives. They don’t have resolve, and maybe their resolves are too weak for them to motivate themselves to reach for what they really want and need in life.

 

“Welcome!”

 

This bubbly, happy-go-lucky, with an attractive eye smile yet clumsy laborer greets a single customer entering their bakery that is on the verge of bankruptcy due to poor promotions, poor management and increasing number of competitive competitors surrounding their vicinity. Old-fashioned bakeries that sell traditional breads that can be baked through simple tutorials at home, a coffee which can be made by each household in this generation are not popular amongst people of this era.

 

“No way…” The cute laborer sighed deep at the sight of their only customer went out of their bakery and went to another instead.

 

“We can’t help it. We may look attractive but our shop isn’t. My long legs aren’t bread for me to sell them and your cute eye smile isn’t those sweet bread fillings we make everyday.” Get over it, Tiffany.” Another laborer said and cheered up the clumsy one.

 

“But look!” Tiffany, the cute yet clumsy laborer then shows her cuteness, “Should I greet them like this? Welcome! I’m brighter than gems, Tiffany!”

 

“Sorry, but that won’t work. They might think this is a maid café or a cabaret opening on daylight instead of night time. If you do that with our pink flashy collared uniform and blue jeans, they might also think we’re old women trying to act teenagers. Not to mention, your flashy pink jacket matches well with our uniform. We should be thankful that we still have sales despite of this unfair tight competition.” Another laborer on the bakery named Sunny witnessed Tiffany’s action.

 

“And we’ll be closing this shop by the end of the month.” Tiffany sighed in defeat.

 

“Our manager hasn’t showed up since last week. She’s running an errand by herself again. She should have at least told us where she’s going. It’s so frustrating, we’re totally broke…” Sunny heaved a sigh deeper than the other two did.

 

“We can’t help it.” Tiffany said.

 

This laborer Tiffany is one of the best examples of a person who strives hard and surviving within her comfort zone without realizing her own dreams and ambition. “As long as I’m gaining money it doesn’t matter where I work and what kind of job it is.”, that’s the usual way of thinking of a person like Tiffany. She goes to work early in the cold morning and closes the shop early on a breezy evening with her co-laborers, that’s how her weekday routine, dry and boring.

 

“How are you dear? Are you alright? Don’t overdo yourself. Tell daddy if they’re abusing you at work and I’ll kick them out of the company! I don’t care if they’re the president or CEO! Just tell daddy, okay?” A worried father called his daughter through a long distance phone call, just to hear her safe voice.

 

“I’m fine dad. I’m as busy as bee like always. I told you I have work on weekends. You sound like you own the company I’m working at. Don’t worry, everyone is nice.” Tiffany said in a low tone over the phone.

 

“Oh really? My lovely daughter works hard huh? I guess I won’t be taking too long with this conversation then, since you’re doing the job well. Whatever happens, don’t disappoint your boss, alright? Bye sweetie~” Her father happily ended the conversation but Tiffany ended up with a huge frown forming on her lips.

 

Working on weekends is a lie. Working on a company is another lie. As busy as bee is another lie because she only serves less than ten people at the bakery for the straight eight hours of work. On weekends, she only lurks around the city but never shops. She would hang out with her best friend Taeyeon if they’re both free and her best friend would sometimes treat the poor her.

 

“Just what exactly kind of lie did you tell your family before you came flying here?” Tiffany’s best friend, Taeyeon asked as they stopped at the park from lazily walking around.

 

“I work at a huge company with high salary and position, that I’m living on a huge apartment and that my boss is an attractive person and we’re pretty close that’s why I get special treatment sometimes.”

 

“Wow! That’s something unimaginable! You’re crazy!” Taeyeon’s eyes went wide upon Tiffany’s shocking confession.

 

“I know right. But still I blurted out those things…”

 

“You won’t be struggling and worrying like that on a weekend if you’ll tell your family the truth.” Taeyeon said as they sat on a vacant bench. “If you didn’t lie that you’re having a good life in here then you must be having a good time and life in America by now.”

 

“But I don’t want my dad to be disappointed and regret sending me here, so I needed to lie about my life here. My brother is married and dad is so proud with him. I want dad to be proud of me too. I don’t want him to regret that he sent me all the way here. I swear I tried to tell him the truth million times now but whenever I hear his caring and loving voice I just couldn’t tell him.” Tiffany said as she feels guilty over her lies.

 

“For sure if he finds out about your lies, your father is the one who’ll get hurt the most.” Taeyeon concluded.

 

Tiffany has been living with her family in America until four years ago when she decided to live on her own, flying from the other side of the Earth. She wanted to live alone and tries to be independent, a little selfish with her decision but still pushed through with the help of her best friend Taeyeon who knows every single lie of hers.

 

“So what’s your plan now that the bakery you’re working at will close soon?” Taeyeon asked out of her concern towards her penniless best friend.

 

“Look for a new job though it might be hard. The bakery’s manager is the only one who took the risk of hiring someone like me, a clumsy and hopeless woman like me. I thought that she hired me because she’s too old to know who she’s hiring. I even applied as a sweeper but still didn’t make it. I’m so dead…” Tiffany put her head down, feeling hopeless and miserable.

 

“Here.” Taeyeon handed her a business magazine and shows her the front cover and featured businesswoman. “A perfect definition of your lies, an attractive boss due owns the biggest name on hotel and res

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter