After Story: Off

Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Bomi POV

 

"Doctor!!! Come play with us!!" I was broke in thought when I heard the cute voice calling me. We were in the children's ward where kids ranging from 5-10 was kept for observation. And when I say 'we' I was referring to myself and my 'angel' Chorong who is currently playing lego with the other kids.

I sauntered my way to the voice of the girl who called me with a wide smile plastered on my face.

"Why are spacing out in the corner when you can play with us?" Chorong tugged my shirt as I sat down beside her.

"I already told you Chorong-ah. I'm not a kid and so are you." I patted her head but she quickly swatted it away.

"I know. You've told me that for ten times already. Then, you should stop treating me as one." She pouted and turned her attention to the kids she was playing with.

"Look. Look. Doctor Yoon and Chorong-unnie is having their love fight again." One of the kids tease.

"Yah! We're not having a love fight! We don't love each other anyway!" 

Ouch. Well, that kind of hurt.

It's been a month already. Yes, a freaking 1 month and yet she still haven't remembered anything. Chorong was still not allowed to get discharge from the hospital since she's still receiving her treatment for her recovery. Thanks to the continuous therapy, she can now walk on her own but sometimes she still stumble her way which is why I am always beside her to assist.

"It's so obvious that Dr. Yoon likes you! Why would she even stick to your side every second of the day if she's not in love with you huh?" The kid argued again. Tsk. Tsk. Kids these days. They're pretty sharp when it comes to this kind of things. I just wish that Chorong would also look the same way as this kid.

I glance at her and waited for the reaction she's going to throw. My heart is pounding and the anticipation grew as the seconds pass. However, my hope sank when Chorong suddenly attack the kid in a headlock.

"Yah! You brat! Stop spouting nonsense." She ruffled the kids head and played wrestling like she's one of them.

I shook my head in dismay and grabbed the back of Chorong's shirt dragging her out of the ward before a real fight would start.

"Bring candies when you return Unnie!" I heard the kid she was bickering with a while ago shout as we exited the ward.

"Okay!!! I'll bring tons!!" Chorong responded before we vanish from the sight of the children.

"Aren't you going to stand up?" I ask as I continued to drag her to the hallway. The floor was slippery so she glides with ease as I pull her along the way.

"How am I suppose to stand when you're not even stopping?"

I halted on my tracks and she stood up immediately upon the sudden break.

"Can you walk?" I offered my hand as a support but she just walk pass through me leaving me hanging with my hand still on reach.

I chuckled at the response and followed her silently from behind.

She slid the door of her room, took an apple on the table and plomp herself on the bed.

"Well, look at how comfortable you are." I said as I drew a nearby chair and watch her eat amusingly.

"If you think I'm already comfortable, shouldn't you discharge me already?" She was staring at the white ceiling as she took bites from her apple.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. We still have to wait for your results, and besides you still stumble once in a while."

"It's just once in a while. That's why I kept on going to the kids ward to exercise my legs." She reasoned out.

"Was that really it? Or you just want to play with them?" I gave a knowing smirk and she glance at me with a frown on her face before diverting back to the white ceiling she was staring so intently.

"Partly. Why? Is it wrong for me to play with them because of your reason that I'm not a kid anymore?"

"It's not that. It's just--"

"Adults can play with kids too. It's not the age that counts but the intention." 

She threw the half-eaten apple to the trash bin like a pro-basketball player and luckily it went in.

"3 points for Miss park!!" She exclaimed with a punch in the air.

The room became quiet as she stared at her outreached fist in the air. She slowly opened them and stared deeply as she tried to bent her fingers from time to time.

"Well look at how big they are." She murmured but I was able to hear it clearly.

"Still can't believe it?" I questioned.

"I'd be lying if I say that I fully took everything in. But everything you said seems or rather feels the truth and I don't find any reason for you to lie." She answered.

 

Flashback

 

"Then, may I ask. Who are you?" 

I was stunned at her words. Am I just hearing things or is this really the truth?

"Y-you," I pointed at her. "Don't remember me?" I pointed at myself disbelievingly.

"You said you're a doctor. But I haven't seen you here. Are you new?"

I process her words and finally caught an explanation to all this mess.

"What's the last thing you remember?" I carefully said.

She look sideways and was thinking hard about her past memories.

"There was police sirens and mother was holding me tightly, it was so hard breathing that time. And then..." She paused.

"That's it?" I tilted my head and studied her expression. She's wearing frown and I can sense that she can't remember anything after the incident.

"I see." I let out a deep sigh and roamed my eyes on the whole room. I spotted a mirror hanging near the door and I took it carefully.

I sat on Chorong's side and showed her, her own reflection.

"This is you. In your last memory you was only nine. You've been asleep for 15 years Chorong-ah."

Her eyes widen upon her own reflection. She touched her face gently and was boring hole on the mirror. She look at her hands and I can see the horror on her face.

Tears began to flow and she was shaking uncontrollably. I took her for a hug to ease her tension but it was useless. She began to scream and shout that I have to call for nurses to help her calm down. It didn't took long to apprehend her. I injected some medicine on her to make her fall asleep and she did after a few seconds. It aches to see her in this state but I know that her pain is greater than mine.

"I'm sorry that I have to make you fall asleep again." I caress her cheek and gave a kiss on her forehead before leaving the room to let her have some peace.

 

PRESENT

 

"You told me that I was older than you. But why aren't you calling me unnie, Doctor?" She suddenly sat up and face me with a curious look.

When she woke up after her berserk she became rather quiet. Too quiet that I think I would prefer if she would shout and throw tantrums like normal patient would.

"Because I don't feel like to." I shrugged in response.

"Well aren't you a bit rude to your elder." She chuckled and went closer to where I was sitting. She lifted my chin with her forefinger and was tracing something at my face. I knew that she's forcing herself to remember but to no avail there was nothing.

Everyday I provided her with information that she needs to know up to this day. Like her own age, what happened to the society for the past years and the most painful one, the death of Naeun. That was the information that struck her the most. Of course, she didn't remember it since she was already in heaven when that happened. She cried for days and I stayed by her side during those times. That was the only thing I was able to do, to be by her side and share her aches and pains.  Based on my observations, she lost all the memories she had while in heaven plus the five years she took when she walk inside the gate. Although it's been a lot of years and her body use to be weak and fragile, after conducting thorough examinations, I found out that her body now is as healthy as the people around her age. I can't say its a miracle but maybe it was a gift from heaven for serving as an angel for years. 

"You've told me a lot of information but there was one thing that you refuse to tell me isn't it?" 

"Didn't I already introduce myself? I'm Yoon Bomi a friend of Naeun. I believe she already mentioned my name to you correct?" I was staring deep on her brown orbs and I can't help but be in awe at how beautiful they are.

She remove her finger on my chin and sauntered to the window of the room watching the other patients take their fresh share of air from the garden of the hospital.

"I do remember your name. She always tell stories about you. And you know, I kind of hated you."

I felt an arrow shot a bullseye on my heart as I heard the word 'hate' left . 

"I see." That was all that I responded. I wanted to say more but her words cutted the string of sentences I wanted to throw.

"But not anymore. Maybe, I was sleeping too long that I've matured. Is that possible doctor? Can a person fall asleep as a kid and woke up as an adult?" She was still staring outside but continued to have her conversation with me.

"I believe it depends on the person. You're the one who can tell whether you're already an adult or still a kid." I responded.

"Is that so? You know, when I play with the kids it feels like my child persona is resurfacing. I wanted to have fun but at the same time it feels like I'm in control. That I wanted to protect those kids like how a big sister would do." She turned her attention to me giving a warm smile.

"Say, Do you also feel that doctor?" She made her way back to me and stared at my face again.

"Bomi. Call me Bomi." I ordered while we were having an intense staring battle.

"Doctor Bomi. Do you also feel like that?" She repeated.

"Nope. Maybe it's your own personality." I smiled as I hear my name left .

"It makes sense." She turned around and walk to the direction of her bed,  tucking herself comfortably.

"I want to sleep. Can you go now?" She uttered as she slowly close her eyes.

"You've been asleep for years. Are you not tired of sleeping?" I made my way to the door and was about to turn the lights off for her.

"I am sick of it. But I'm having nice dreams recently." She responded and yawn afterwards.

"I see. Well then, Sleep tight Chorong-ah." I clicked the lights off and gently close the door before returning to my office.

 

I leaned back at my swivel chair letting out a deep sigh. I playfully turned the chair with my foot and enjoyed the swirling sensation brought by the turning chair. My antics was stop when a soft object suddenly pounce me on the face, causing me to stumble on the floor.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL !?" I threw the object that landed on my face to the cold floor and clench my frantic heart who I think just had a moment of attack.

I glance at the object and realize that it was my favorite bear which I assumed has fallen from the cabinet it was place.

"Just what the heck. I shouldn't have place that bear above my chair. Seriously, I thought I was gonna die." I was about to pick up the fallen bear when a realization hit me.

"Well isn't this too familiar. I'm assuming a certain angel is there, am I wrong?" 

As I say those words, the bear carefully stood up and dusted off its fur. It face me with its permanent creepy grin, stitched on its face and gave a 90° bow.

"Did you know that you almost gave me a heart attack eunji-ah? And what's with you visiting me now after all these years? Chorong woke up a month ago and you just decided to visit her now?" I bombarded the bear with question.

The bear place its one hand on its mouth while the other on its chest and showed a laughing gesture.

I raise an eyebrow at the sight not fully comprehending what's happening.

"I miss you a lot unnie." The bear finally gave its words.

"Yeah. I miss--"

Wait. What!?

"Unnie? And that voice.... Naeun?"

"Bingo!" 

The bear jump and clung on my neck giving a tight hug. 

"I've always wanted to do this. Finally after so many years, so this is what it feels huh." Naeun let go of me and jumped to the chair I was sitting a while ago.

"You can come down from heaven now?" I chuckled at the situation. Looks like Naeun is quite adopting a lot of Eunji's habit.

"Yep. And you know what unnie?" She gestured me to come closer.

I crouched down and lended her my ears.

"I'm a head angel now." She whispered.

"What!? Really!? I mean. Wow!" I was shock at the sudden news. I can't believe that she's now replacing Eunji's position. It was not that long and now she's one of the considered high-class angel.

"It's a long story unnie but all I can say is we've already expected for this to happen." Naeun chuckled.

"We?" I frowned.

"Yep. Eunji-unnie and me. But she didn't expected that I'd be a head angel. I kept that a secret. What we've expected was Chorong-unnie's condition." 

"So, you knew?" I took another chair and sat opposite of her.

"That's right. Eunji-unnie told me something. You know, she's kind of smart and secretive that sometimes it freaks me out. But that's what I love about her." The bear wave its hand and feet like an obsess fangirl.

I rolled my eyes at the sight.

"Are you here to declare how much you love Eunji or what?" I chuckled.

"Nah. We're in a 'lovers quarrel' so maybe next time." She changed her mood quite so fast that I remembered how Chorong was also like that.

"Enough of the chit-chat. Care to explain everything?" I turned serious and the atmosphere between us became cold and silent.

"Eunji-unnie told me that Chorong-unnie might lose her memories if she succeeded on returning. She's a high class angel who serve heaven for a long time. She knows a lot of things that living humans should still not know so it's common sense that if she would return, she will lose all of her memories from heaven." Naeun started.

"You knew she'll return?" 

"Of course. We even bid our goodbye but we didn't told her about the matter regarding lost memories." Naeun continued.

I didn't say a word and continued to listen. It makes sense. Heaven is after all a righteous place that would consider what is best.

"The determination on Chorong-unnie's eyes was so strong at that time and we don't want her to have second

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter