Renaissance

Forever and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gary was a spy too. He had been a spy all along, like the old shoe maker.

The old shoe-maker worked for the activists supporting the Renaissance, because he believed that it was the way to progress. But not everyone wanted progression. Some were fine with the way things were. Most people, in fact, were resistant to change. They didn’t want to believe that the Earth revolved around the Sun, they didn’t want to believe that the Earth was flat, they didn’t want to believe that there weren’t witchcrafts. Those were the powerful ones- the churches, politicians. Because if the masses started to believe in science, they could no longer wield the power over them. While it appeared that the church and government were fighting for power, it was really just a disguise to stop the renaissance of arts and science.

And this group of activists emerged. Through the shoe-maker, information was passed around between this group of activists- which the others refer to as ‘spies’. Slips of paper were sent to them inside various paintings. The messages were written in many different language, so Gary would translate them, recode it, hide them under the insoles of the shoes they make, and have it delivered to designated people. Other times, Gary slipped into the churches or court houses to eavesdrop on plans. His job was to gather and spread information.

But he didn’t set out to hurt Jihyo. He hadn’t approached her just to get information. He really, truly, wanted to help her because she was the only other person who didn’t treat him as invisible.

The day she came to find him, he already knew she would take a special place in his heart. As a spy, being invisible was a good trait. But sometimes, he felt lonely. When Jihyo told him that she watched over him for the past seven years, he felt like he wasn’t alone anymore. But as a spy, he knew that he shouldn’t approach anyone, what more a rich socialite’s daughter. He hadn’t intended on looking for her again. It was good enough to know that there was someone who knew of his existence.

They say that your life depends on which turns you make. Some go straight, and end up as they expected. But most people make a turn at some point or another, whether involuntary or voluntary.

Gary’s life changed when he decided to look for Jihyo.

When he heard that her father w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter