A Time Traveller's Tale

Forever and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Since Jihyo has nothing to do at home anyway, Gary decides to bring her out to the market place. He let her wear his clothes. She originally complained that it was rough and uncomfortable, but she wore it eventually.

She hadn’t talked much to Gary’s neighbours; she didn’t want to cause suspicions in her identity. So she just sat around and observed. People started to question if she was Gary’s wife. Gary and Ji Hyo vehemently denied it, but people continued insisting. Ji Hyo stopped denying after a few days, but she was obviously uncomfortable about it. Gary continued to explain to his neighbours that she was a relative from another village, but Ji Hyo told him not to waste his breath.

She silently watched Gary as he served his customers. Sometimes she helped out, but most of the times she observed. In fact, she had been observing Gary most of the time, since it’s the only thing that she could do. Looking at him, she realised that maybe people of the past weren’t as bad as she had learnt. At least not Gary. Gary was hardworking- he worked in his farms in the morning, and then sold his goods in the midday, and at night he studied. All without a word of complain. Unlike her, who whines at every little thing she can. She admits it- she used to look down on them. She felt like she was above them because she was saving the world they lost, because she had so much fancy equipment that these people didn’t, because she had studied so much more that these people ever could.

But Gary had shown her something that she didn’t have- compassion.

In her world, everything was constantly lit up, because everyone was always at work. She hated to admit it, but she was afraid of the dark. But in Gary’s world, there wasn’t lighting yet. People used candles. Gary had been frugal with candles, but when he realised that Ji Hyo didn’t like the dark, he willingly sacrificed his stash of candles. To make up for the loss, Gary had to study by the moonlight until it got too dark. No one had ever sacrificed for her in her home. If you made a mistake, you’re out.

And when he realised that it was inconvenient for her to bring a candle around (a few times the wax dripped on her), he made a holder for her. Just because she commented on how much easier i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter