Renaissance

Forever and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She suddenly recalled how her father made her keep her paintings! It didn’t occur to her that it was weird, but now that she looked back, it was so awfully strange that his last words to her were ‘Keep the paintings!’ and not ‘I’m sorry’ or Save me’ or ‘Don’t worry’. Her heart palpitated wildly against her ribcage as she thought over her father’s words.

Could it be…

She moved towards her paintings, or should she say those not-her-paintings. With trembling hands, she reached out to … she didn’t know. Hold it? Touch it? In any case, she had to do something.

Just then, Gary came home. She froze mid-air.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“I…” she hesitated. She was shocked that she did. She thought she trusted Gary, but maybe she had doubts about him now. Why would he suddenly look for her? Of course, she looked for him first, but it was to thank him for his help 7 years ago. He had no reason to help her again now, especially with the rumours that her father was a spy. Why? Why did he offer her- a stranger- his house? And for so many days! Was it purely out of kindness… or does he have an ulterior motive?

“I was trying to arrange my paintings,” she finally said. “I think I painted too many,” she said, trying to sound enthusiastic about her paintings. It surprised her how she could lie so easily.

Gary just nodded, not suspecting anything. “That’s fine,” he said. “We’ll find a way.”

Jihyo watched his expression carefully, but doesn’t say anything.

Finally, Gary asked, “What’s for dinner? I’m starving!”

Jihyo blinked. Dinner! She had forgotten about it all while painting! She wore a blank look on a face. Gary chucked good naturedly. “You forgot?”

Jihyo nodded. “I’m sorry, I was…”

Gary brushed her off. “It’s okay, I’ll just get something for us. I’ll be back in ten,” he said, running out of the h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter