A time traveller's tale

Forever and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gary the farmer returned home from the market, after selling all his produces there. He didn’t earn a lot, but it was enough to sustain himself. He didn’t plan to be a farmer all his life- he wants to study and pass the official exam, so he could serve as a government official, like what his grandfather wished.

He was tired out, but he still noticed box by the tree near his house. It was brown and had the same shade as the bark of the tree, and he wouldn’t have noticed if he hadn’t happened to look in the direction. He bent down to have a closer look and realised that the exquisite box had strange carvings on it. He couldn’t understand it, but it looked like a message. He wondered for a moment if he should bring it home- it looked expensive, maybe the owner would come back to take it, whatever the reason he left it there. But then, if he left it in the open, then it would be terrible if someone else took it. He debated for a long while, before deciding to take it and left a note there, telling the owner to find him, if he ever comes back.

He dusted the box and studied it for a while. There were strange, protruding circles on it. It looked like gems to him, but he wasn’t sure. He was tempted to open it, but he knew he shouldn’t.

Several days past and no one came to collect the box. He wondered if he should open it to see if he can find any clues leading to the owner. After a long repetitive debate it his head (“Open it, you wouldn’t take anything away anyway, it is not stealing. You are just doing this to search for the owner.” VS “No, it’s rude to peek at things that aren’t yours. The owner will come and find it sooner or later.”) he finally decided to open it.

“I’m sorry,” he muttered under his breath, and he unlatched the box.

There was a bright flash of light, then he was knocked out.

He woke up lying on the floor, with a bad headache. He frowned and rubbed a spot on his neck, where the blow hit him. Then he noticed there was a person, sitting on his chair, frowning at him.

He blinked, unsure of what to say. Was she the person who knocked him out?

“Who are you?” he finally asked.

She rolled her eyes. “I am from that,” she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter