A Time Traveller's Tale

Forever and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gary and Ji Hyo went back to his own village the day after the celebration.

 

Ji Hyo checked her Transporter for new messages. Gary hovered behind her anxiously.

“Are you going home soon?” he asked sadly.

“They can fix it by tomorrow,” she replied.

He looked away sadly. Ji Hyo put her hands around his cheeks and held his face up. “Do you want me to stay?”

He looked at her blankly.

“But that’s your home,” he reminded her, as he remembered how she broke down when she was afraid she couldn’t return.

“It’s too flawed back there, I don’t want to return anymore. I have nothing to live for there… But here," she said, sliding her hands into his. “I have you.”

Gary smiled. He nodded. “My father used to say, ‘Home is where the heart is.’ Your home is here now,” he said, “because your heart is here.” He pointed to his chest. She chuckled.

 

And she stayed.

 

But she was getting weaker, day by day. She hadn’t told Gary that all these time-travelling screwed up her body so much that she needed a lot of supplements to rejuvenate it. She kept brushing him off when he asked about her dizzy spells, saying that she’s just tired.

 

One day, she fainted at home again. In panic, Gary knocked open her Transporter. It was flooded with messages since she had ignored it since the day she decided to stay. The holograms floated out, the video messages playing one after another. The first few sounded official, and were said in English. But subsequently it was all in Korean, so he understood. They all came from the same guy and it’s mainly the same messages- ‘Where are you?’, ‘Why are you not responding?’

And the last one…

“Ji Hyo, you have to return! This is very important. It’s not just about not getting your supplements. It’s a matter of life and death!”

Gary managed to wake Ji Hyo up with some herbal tea and confronted her with the messages as soon as she seemed well enough.

She was as confused as he was. She always thought that as long as she managed to get the correct composition of nutrients, she would recover. She opened her transporter and talked to the guy who sent her all these messages.

“Kingston? What was all that about? What about life and death?” she asked, panic rising in her voice.

He looked dishevelled- his hair was a mess and his eyes bloodshot.

“Ji Hyo, I…” he hesitated, not knowing how to phrase it.

“I hacked into the systems,” he finally confessed.

Ji Hyo’s eyes rounded with shock. “You what?!”

“I… I heard stuffs, okay? I got suspicious of the government, that’s why I started. But it’s not the point. You have to return now, Ji Hyo. Whatever the reason that’s keeping you there.”

His eyes than glanced over to Gary. “Is he the reason? Because you loved him?”

Ji Hyo nodde

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter