Four

Speak Without Words

The entire staff quickly stands up when their tall, blonde superior finally arrives. They would always greet him but he never greets them back. It is quite understandable as he is very known for his cold personality and hot temper. No one dares to accidentally offend him, since they all still care about their jobs.

The tall man continues to walk toward his office. He stops when he sees a rose bouquet on top of his secretary’s table. She quickly stops typing and stand up from the chair when she sees her boss.

“Good morning, Mr. Kris.”

“Good morning, Ms. Ng. Although it isn’t my business, I would appreciate it if your boyfriend stops sending flowers. This is a workplace after all.”

“These roses aren’t for me… I am still single…”

Kris raises his eyebrows, “Then, why it is on your table if it isn’t for you?”

“It was addressed to you, sir….It was….from the same person….” Ms. Ng bites her lips nervously when she sees her boss’s expression change.

He has been receiving gifts from the same person since a year ago and no one knows who this person really is since they write K.J.M as his initials on every card; it has made his secretary very curious as to who the person is, having the guts to court her boss.

She isn’t going to deny that her boss is a very handsome young man; many mistake him as model. Still, his cold personality makes people think twice in planning to court him, which explain the reason why he has not had a lover up until now.

“Throw it away.” Kris’s deep voice breaks her thought.

“Yes...sir…”

“And one more thing, Ms. Ng, if you still cherish your job, you had better not accept flowers or gifts from this person ever again.”

Ms. Ng gulps, “I understand….sir…”

“Good.”

The sound of the door slamming resonates throughout the department. The staff gulps; that is a sign that their boss will be in bad mood all day today and that they should stay out of his way if they want to keep their jobs.

 


 

Sehun sits down next to Jongin on the school rooftop, where they usually have lunch. He feels as though his energy has been drained and he doesn’t think that he will be able to last until his last class.

The reason is very simple. His classes have been more hellish than usual; it seems that his conversation with Luhan has spread around the school and that he has been getting more attention than ever before.

Every class he went to, all the students wanted to know who Luhan was and their relationship is. Heck, there were even a few female students who were brave enough to ask him whether or not Luhan had a girlfriend or if they could have his number, despite the fact that Sehun cannot answer their questions verbally.

A quick glance to Jongin shows that his friend is as equally exhausted as he is. Sehun couldn’t blame him; they have most of their classes together and all the answering was left to Jongin, which was quite difficult because of Jongin’s shy behavior. Sehun is glad that Jongin didn’t pass out or have one of his panic attack again.

Sehun massaged his temple. From the way the students were acting, he could tell that his school life wouldn’t be as peaceful as before, all thanks to Luhan.

“So?” Jongin’s questioning voice breaks his thought. Sehun sighs and nods, knowing what Jongin wants.

Sehun speaks in the only way he knows, sign language.

Jongin attentively watches the hand gestures, nodding and gasping as Sehun relates the entire encounter in detail.

He blushes when Sehun reaches the part where Luhan implied he wanted to something inappropriate. Jongin let out small chuckle when Sehun related Luhan’s statement about liking him, earning a glare from the storyteller. He smiles at Luhan’s reaction toward Sehun’s impairment.

From that smile, Sehun knows that Luhan had won Jongin’s approval.

Finished explaining, Sehun lowers his hands. His fingers ache a bit, as he has not had to explain so much at one time in a long time. Sehun only uses sign language when he doesn’t have another medium to directly communicate with someone, mostly his older brother and Jongin.

He taught Jongin sign language not long after they become friends. He likes to use it to communicate with Jongin because it is like their secret code, as no one else in the school knows it.

He was five when his kindergarten teacher advised his parents to learn it with him so that it would be easier for them to communicate. It was that moment that set off his father’s hostility towards him, because to his father, it was an act of defeat to accept the fact he his son is unable to speak. His father ended up refusing to learn it along with his wife and sons.

“He said he was going to see you again right?” Jongin asks while staring at sky.

Sehun nods.

“How do you feel about it?”

Sehun thinks for a second. Does he want to meet Luhan or not?

He shrugs and signs, I’m not sure

Jongin taps his chin, “But, he seems interested in you.”

Sehun scowls, No way. Why would he be interested in me, a mute? He only wants to play with my feelings.

Jongin quickly shakes his head, “Sehun-ah, you should be more confident in yourself. Who knows? Luhan may be different from the others. Even he does, you don’t have to worry about it. I would punch him in the face for breaking my best friend’s heart.”

Sehun scoffs; I doubt you’d be able to do that. You can’t even talk to a regular person without having a panic attack or hiding yourself in a toilet stall.

Jongin pouts, “You’re a very bad friend. How could you tease me about my weakness?”

Sehun just ignores his best friend and continues munching on his sandwich. Jongin lets out small huff before he sips his carton of milk.

After they are done, Sehun lays down on the floor, using his arms as his pillow. He loves lunch period; it is his favorite time where he and Jongin can simply relax on the rooftop, knowing that no one else would go there.

A moment later, Jongin lies down next to him in the same position.

He is happy, at least for the time being.

 


 

Sehun and Jongin are waiting at the entrance after school when Sehun’s car arrives.

The black Mercedes Benz parks in front as the two teens make their way towards it. Jongin’s father is returning tomorrow; thus, today is his last day hitching a ride with Sehun.

Sehun opens the door to the backseat and lets Jongin enter first when, suddenly, he hears the sound of a horn. He turns around and is met with Luhan’s gaze.

“Sehun?”  Jongin calls.

Sehun signs with one hand without turning back, He’s here.

“Are you going?”

Jongin gets his answer as Sehun starts walking towards where Luhan had parked his car, in the exact same spot from this morning. Once again, he can feel students’ eyes on him; only this time, it isn’t gazes of curiosity, but rather, jealous glares from female students and few males student.

“Sehunnie,” Luhan purrs, causing the said person to flush and duck his head. Why does Luhan have to say his name like that?

“I missed you.”

Sehun quickly pulls the notepad out from his backpack. He scribbles few words on it before handing it to Luhan.

‘What do you want from me?’

“That’s very dangerous question, Sehunnie.” Luhan then hands the pad back to Sehun, “I just want to get to know you, that’s all.” 

Sehun’s eyes narrow suspiciously and he writes something down on the pad.

“Why?”

Luhan shrugs, “I said I liked you, didn’t I?” He then leans on his car and tilts his head, “Take a ride with me today.”

Sehun’s eyes widen in shock as Luhan continues on.

“Don’t be afraid. I promise I’ll send you home afterwards.”

‘Why should I when I have my own car?’

Luhan raises his eyebrows amusingly, “Don’t you want to know who I am? Curiosity is eating you up, isn’t it?”

‘Curiosity killed the cat.’ Sehun writes dryly and, much to his surprise, Luhan laughs.

“You’re a very amusing kid. Don’t worry, I can guarantee that you’ll live. Besides, you’re no cat,” Luhan pauses for a bit to give Sehun a wink, “Although I won't really mind if you want to show me some claws.”

Sehun chokes on the air. Is Luhan trying to flirt with him right now or is he misunderstanding?

He then meets with Luhan’s gaze. Something tells him that Luhan won’t give up until he say yes. He doesn’t want to admit that Luhan is right about him; he is curious.

He takes his phone out of his pockets, aware of Luhan’s questioning gaze. He then sends a quick text to Jongin. A minute later, he gets a reply from Jongin, ‘Be careful. Tell me everything tomorrow’

The next thing he knows, his car is pulling out from the compound without him.

He looks at Luhan, who has been watching him, and nods.

Luhan smirks and opens the passenger door, “After you.”

Sehun hesitates for a bit before letting out a small sigh and climbing into the passenger seat. He almost flinches when he hears the shocked gasps of the female students.  

Luhan gets into the driver’s seat, pretending that he doesn’t felt the tense atmosphere at SM High.

And as they pull out, the hateful, jealous glares never leave Sehun alone.

 


A/n Finally an update! I'm sorry for taking so long. I just finished my mid-term exam.