Fifteen

Speak Without Words

 

Sehun and Jongin decided to eat their lunch at the rooftop. They want to avoid other students. The news about Luhan brawling with Sehun’s bullies had traveled among the students which is why they’re avoiding the cafeteria. They already had enough from their questioning regarding Luhan and they don’t want to face another one.

Jongin feels worried about Sehun since he was looking a bit moody since this morning. Not only that, the lunch box on his best friend’s lap was untouched which made him think is Sehun feeling unwell?

“Hunnie, are you okay?”

Sehun snaps out from his reverie. A small sigh then escapes from his lips. He then started to tell everything to Jongin.

Jongin took Sehun’s hand and squeeze it gently, “Hunnie, I know that you were heartbroken because of your parents, but you mustn’t let that affect you.”

‘I know that and I should get used it, but watching how my mother treated my brother like gem while treating me like a stranger, it just broke my heart.’

Jongin’s expression then changed.

“I know how it felt, Hunnie.”

‘Your father still…’

“Well, the way that he’s treating me indeed had changed, but it wasn’t for better. Before this, he keeps on insulting me since I’m a sore in his eyes. Now, just like you parents, he’d ignore me like I don’t exist. At least, Suho-hyung and all the maids still treat me the same. .”

Sehun was about to asked Jongin regarding Suho because something about Suho intrigued him especially after the incident he saw Suho with his brother when the door suddenly barged open.

They turned their head toward the door and no words can describe how shock they were after they recognize the person that just come into the rooftop. It is none other than their school president.

“So this is where both of you eat your lunch?”

“P-president, w-what are you doing at here?” Jongin asked after he regained his senses.

“Drop that formality. Just call me hyung or Ge will do. And the reason why I’m here is because I want to join you for lunch.” Chanyeol said while flashing his signature smile to them.

“Y-you want to join us for lunch?”

“Yes, I do. So can I?”

“Well…”

Jongin then stares at his best friend, looking for answer. Seeing the president not a threat, his best friend just sighs before nodding his head.

“Y-yes, you can join us.”

“Thank you so much.”

Chanyeol then sits beside Jongin. Jongin feels awkward being around Chanyeol because he doesn’t know how to start conversation with anyone, much more to public persons like Chanyeol. Sometimes, he envy Sehun. Being mute has given Sehun a perfect excuse not to interact with others.

“Do both of you always eat lunch at here?”

Jongin nodded his head.

“Why? Was it because of the seniors from that day? Do they still bully both of you? If they do, just tell me. No need to be afraid. I’d given their name to the discipline teacher.” Chanyeol reassures that made Jongin quickly flail his hands in the air.

“T-there is no need for that, hyung. They never come looking for us after that day. I-I think you may scare them off. The reason... we eat here because we kinda hate… um. . . crowded places.”

“I can understand that. I also don’t like crowded places too, but I can’t avoid it because of my job as your president.”

“I see.”

There was a moment of silence between the three of them as they were to focus on eating their lunch. Jongin jumped a little when his best friend suddenly elbows his stomach. Sehun then signed to him to ask Chanyeol why did he want to join them. Are you for real, but Sehun just ignored him.

“H-hyung, c-can I asked you a question?”

Chanyeol quickly swallows down his food, “Sure, what it is?”

“Why do y-you want to eat lunch with us? I mean we aren’t exactly very popular in this school.”

Chanyeol looks at the sky as he ransacks his memory lane for his reason.

“It happened three months ago. I had to stay back until five p.m. because of my school president duties. I was walking around the school compound to clear my mind a bit. Then I heard music coming from the dancing room. I felt weird because most students already went home. Thus, I decided to check it out. Turns out were both of you, practicing dancing. That day, I was mesmerized by both of you and I think both of you are very cool. So I want to befriend both of you, but I didn’t get the chance until today.”

Sehun and Jongin were shock when they heard that. It never occurred to their minds that their loveable and kind school president wants to befriend with them who are school’s outcasts.

“Am I being too direct?” Chanyeol asked after few minutes of silence.

Jongin quickly waved his hand, “That wasn’t the case!” Jongin covered his mouth when he realizes his mistake. “I-I’m sorry.”

Chanyeol then lets out a small laugh.

“Take it easy, Jongin.” He said before he pats Jongin’s shoulder gently.

“Both of us were shock because we never thought that our famous school president wants become our friend.” Jongin shyly tugs his uniform while Sehun nods his head as gesture that he agrees with Jongin’s words.

Chanyeol rubs the back of his neck, “I’m not that popular and I’m very sincere to become your friend. Please give me a chance.”

“Well…”

Jongin stares at Sehun, seeking for an answer. Although it’s quite tempting for him to accept Chanyeol’s request since he doesn’t see any harm befriending Chanyeol, still he wouldn’t accept it without Sehun agreeing with it too.

Sehun mentally sighed. He is a bit reluctant to accept Chanyeol’s request. It wasn’t because he doubted Chanyeol’s sincerity, but Chanyeol is one of the popular students in their school. It will surely gain attention from the students when they learn about this and he doesn’t want that. He doesn’t want to complicate his life further.

However, he feels bad rejecting Chanyeol who’s currently looking at them hopefully. He sighs again before nodding his head.

Jongin’s lips then curls into a smile upon seeing that. He then tells Chanyeol that they accept his request. He never expected that Chanyeol would pull both of them into hugs after he finish his words.

 


 

Chanyeol hums as he walks along the hallway since his apartment was located at end of the corner. He is very happy that he managed to befriend Sehun and Jongin. He felt a bit guilty for lying to them though. Yes, he did saw them practicing dancing three months ago, but that wasn’t enough reason to trigger him to become their friends. It was after the seniors who punched Sehun on the cheek.

He suddenly had this sudden need to protect them and the only way for him to do that without causing any dissatisfaction among the students is by becoming their friends and hopefully, no one will try to bully them again. However, he couldn’t tell the truth to them because he doesn’t want them to feel that he was insincere in befriending them or thinking that they are a burden to him.

He stopped his steps abruptly while his face turned pale when he almost reached his apartment. The person that he dreads the most is currently in front of his apartment. His heart almost stopped beating for a second or two when Baekhyun’s lips curls into a smile.

“You’re back. I’ve been waiting for you for almost two hours. Why are you coming back so late? Do you have many things to do at school? Is…”

“Why are you standing in front my house?”

Chanyeol quickly cuts off Baekhyun’s words. He can’t continue hearing it anymore especially when Baekhyun spoke to him very caringly.

Baekhyun’s expression changed for seconds because of Chanyeol’s cold words, but Chanyeol didn’t see it.

“I forgot my keys. I tried to call the locksmith, but no one is picking up the call. So I went to the shop and the shop was close. That explains why no one is picking up the call. I was hoping that you may let me stay overnight at your apartment. If that’s okay with you.”

“Y-you want to stay overnight at my apartment?”

“Yes, I’m.”

“But… you have girlfriend. Why…”

“If she was available, do you think I would ask you?” Baekhyun rebutted back quite rudely. He only realized his mistake when he saw Chanyeol’s shock expression, but he doesn’t have any courage to apologize for his mistake.

“But…”

“Are you that heartless to let me sleep outside in this cold weather?”

Chanyeol lets out a small sigh, “Fine, please come in.” he said as he took out his keys.

He opens the door and lets Baekhyun enter his apartment. He tried his hardest not to let Baekhyun’s words affect him, but he couldn’t. It hurts him to know that he is Baekhyun’s last option when he already lose the right to feel hurt.

“Your apartment doesn’t change much. It still looks the same.”

“Yes.”

Chanyeol immediately headed to the side table. He quickly puts down the picture frames. He can’t allow Baekhyun see this picture. It is their picture that they’ve had taken together at the beach. He doesn’t know that Baekhyun actually had seen it after Baekhyun stepped inside his apartment.

“Err… please have a seat. I-I should...well...oh… I should prepare drink for you first. You must be thirsty.”

Chanyeol quickly runs toward the kitchen. His heart never stops on racing ever since he invites Baekhyun inside his apartment. It had been almost two years after they stopped talking to each other, yet Baekhyun still can give that kind effect to him.

Calm down, Chanyeol. You need to be strong. It is only for one night. He’ll be gone by tomorrow morning and we can go back on being just neighbours.

Chanyeol lets out a shocked gasp when Baekhyun suddenly hugged him from behind.

“B-baekhyun? W-what are you doing?”

“I miss you, Channie. I miss the saturday nights where we watching movies while under the blanket. I miss the time where we always hang out with each other, go shopping or eating. I even missed you calling me ‘Hyunnie’. Why did you suddenly treat me like a stranger? Have I done something wrong?”

“I-it wasn’t like that...I…”

Baekhyun then turns Chanyeol around so that Chanyeol is facing him.

“Then what it is the reason? Without any explanation, you suddenly treat me like I’m a stranger? Do you know that you have broken my heart?”

I know that, Hyunnie. It hurt me too. To do this to you, but what choice do I had?

“I-I’m sorry, Baekhyun.”

“I don’t want your apology. I need to know the real reason so that we can fix this. Fix our relationship.”

“Why?”

“Because I’ve always been…”

Baekhyun’s words were cut off by his handphone ringing. He then took it out from his jeans pocket and let out a small groan when he saw it was Taeyeon calling him.

Chanyeol who saw the caller id, quickly push Baekhyun. Before Baekhyun can say anything to stop, he already run inside his room. Baekhyun growls angrily and punch the kitchen wall. He then runs out from the apartment and sound of door being slammed can be heard after that.

Chanyeol cries his heart out while hugging the Rilakkuma doll that Baekhyun given to him on his sixteen birthday.