One

Speak Without Words

As with every morning, the class is full of noise. Girls are giggling about the latest boy bands and while occasionally squealing about their biases and boys are conversing quite loudly as they discuss the latest football games and complain about their latest girlfriends.

However, there is this one person who doesn't fit into this routine.

Wu Sehun, who is sitting in his usual seat located beside the window with a book in his hand as he waits for the teacher to enter the class.

Some students glance at him before snickering to themselves and turning to their friends to make snide comments, but as usual, he just ignores it.

Many people would always think that the Wu name alone would be enough for him to earn popularity, as his family is known as one of the richest families in China. However, all people see when they look at Sehun is the fact that he is mute.

It came as a big shame to his family, especially to his father, when the doctor announced that he had been born with a damaged larynx and that the chance for him to speak was equal to zero. His father, who always strived for perfection, decided to distance himself from Sehun and altogether stop speaking with him. Now, his father barely even looks at him. After all, Sehun is his only living proof of imperfection.

His mother can be considered more understanding, perhaps because of her maternal instincts. However, over the years, his mother’s treatment towards him has changed. It wasn't like that in the beginning. His mother was very optimistic and sure that Sehun would be able speak someday. She defended him from his father, which resulted in lot of fights and put a strain in their marriage.

She wasn't as obvious as Sehun's father as she still speaks to him to ask him about school or to take care of him occasionally when he is sick. However, her movements are detached and her words toward him are usually very few or forced.

But, to public eyes, they were perfect parents which sickened Sehun. Yes, he is hurt by their acts; but over the years, he grew accustomed to their treatment toward him. He just can't bring himself to hate his family after all, not because he loves his parents, but because of his older brother, Kris.

Kris is six year older than Sehun and he always finds time to spend with his precious younger brother, who enjoys his older brother's company the most. In other words, he idolizes his older brother. Who wouldn’t? Kris is a genius, having entered one of the most prestigious universities in Canada and graduating with top honors last year.

Currently, Kris is working as the vice president in Wu Corporations along with his father. Sehun's brother is everything; smart, talented and extremely good looking with tall a figure. Some people even often mistaken him as model. He is their parents’ golden child--their father's pride and mother’s joy.

Sehun has some degree of envy and resentment toward his older brother, but they are overshadowed by the adoration he holds for him. He much more prefers people to addres him as 'Kris's younger brother' rather than as the 'mute boy.'

Kris is extremely overprotective, having sent some people into the hospital for picking on his brother. Sehun knows that Kris hates their parents much more than he does for discarding their younger son and Kris never fails to point this out to their parents.

Looking back now, Sehun finds it hard to believe that there was time when he tried to outdo Kris in hopes of getting his parents’ acknowledgement. He studied hard almost every night and got the best grades in his whole school, yet, his father simply grunted and turned away.  After a couple more tries that all waranted same reaction, Sehun finally gave up, realizing that he just wasting his time to get his parents’ favor. He even doubted that his parents would treat him differently even if he got the ability to speak. He doesn’t care anymore even if that does happen.

Not to say that Sehun wouldn’t love to get his voice. It is the wish that he makes on his birthday every year--that he would get his voice. He had gotten used to being mute, but for once, he would like to say words with his mouth instead of using his hands or writing it down as people tend to stare at him a lot.

He hates that the most; the staring, correction, he hates it when people stare at him with pity. That’s what pisses him off. His being mute isn’t anyone fault, it's simply how he was born and Sehun had already come to terms with it; it no longer bother him. He simply sees it an unaccountable happening in his life. So what if he’s unable to make phone calls? There is still text messaging, thanks to modern technology. He will not allow his disability to detect him.

The vibration inside his phone snaps him out from his thoughts. He grunts as he takes out his phone. It is message coming from his best and only friend. He turns to look at his best friend who urges him to read the message. He opens it and scans through the message.

From: Kkamjong

I’ve an errand to run after school. Please come with me?

Sehun looks up and raises a questioning brow to his best friend who looks at him with a pleading stare. It isn’t that he is going to refuse anyway. His friend hardly asks favors of him and when he does, it is very important. Besides, he is no hurry to go home. His older brother is going work late tonight and he doesn’t have any desire to be alone with his parents.

Sehun sighs and nods in response.

Jongin grins at him before going back to listening music with his iPod.

Like Sehun, Jongin comes from prestigious family, being a Kim. And also like Sehun, Jongin is somewhat an outcast too.

It is odd because with his dark brown locks, tanned skin and a body that most boys would kill for, Jongin can be considered the best looking male students in their school. Yet, his painfully shy attitude had put him in same level as Sehun. Jongin would blush or hide behind Sehun’s back whenever someone tries to have a conversation with him. In the worst cases, he would run and hide himself inside the toilet until Sehun comes to get him.

Sehun still can remember how they met; it was three years ago in an alley. A group of mean boys thought it would be fun to pick on ‘The Nerdy Kim.’ Sehun doesn’t know what made him to go to the boy's defense as he isn’t known as a people person and often comes out as cold and unfriendly. However, the sight of Jongin in tears angered him and the bullies ran home crying afterwards. The next day, a stuttering Jongin asked Sehun to eat lunch with him and their strong bond of friendship was formed after that.

Sehun still looks upon at the memory with a smile. It was, and is still, his greatest decisions as Jongin truly understands him more than anyone. Not only that, they also share the same passion in dancing and they would occasionally stay back after school just to practice.

Sehun has no voice, but his actions speak loud and clear while Jongin has a voice, but does not know how to use it. However, throughout the year, Jongin gradually started to come out from his shell as he often found himself in position to speak or translate something for Sehun. Jongin forced himself to talk more so he could become a voice for the both of them, and he can now speak a few lines without stuttering. His self-esteem, though, still needs a lot of work.

The bell rings the minute the teacher comes in. She apologizes for being late before asking them to quiet down so she can start the lesson.

 


 

Sehun leans against the tree while listening to music as he waits for Jongin to come out from his class. This is their usual spot where he would wait for Jongin when they don’t share the class, like today.

Some girls passing cast him flirtatious glances, but they doesn’t last long because their friends would whisper something into their ear, no doubt informing them of his disability. Sehun doesn’t care about it since he knows that all they see is his looks.

The first thing that they would notice about him is his soft, pale skin that contrasts beautifully with his blond locks. Sehun stands at an average five foot eleven inches; taller than some students, but still shorter than his older brother. His slim body is defined by some muscles and those are what people would see, until they are overshadowed by his disability.

Footsteps approaching him draws his attention to Jongin, who is clutching his book into his chest.

“I’m…sorry, Sehunnie…for being late….” Jongin pants as he tries to catch his breath.

Sehun make a dismissive gesture with his hand and stares at his friend with amusement.

Jongin then smiles back at him. Sehun replies with questioning brow and begins to walk out of the school with Jongin close behind.

“Father has given me a parcel to deliver to my cousin, Suho.” Jongin says as he puts his books inside his backpack. Sehun is able to glimpse a small box wrapped with brown paper.

He shoots Jongin a look.

“Father would have it mailed himself, but he doesn’t want this important parcel to fall into the wrong hands,” Jongin explains.

That is another thing Sehun likes about their friendship. They are so close they don’t need words to understand each other.

He can’t help but smile at the Jongin's glow of pride after being trusted with something of importance after years of falling out with his father.

Jongin then takes out a small, folded piece of paper from his pant pocket, “He gave me the address to where I can find Suho-hyung and since it's not far from school, it shouldn’t take long. I can actually go by myself, but…” he trails off, knowing Sehun will understand what he is trying to convey.

Jongin is extremely shy and Sehun doubts that anything will change that. Jongin is very terrified of going to new places and would make Sehun tag along whenever he needs to. The blonde is Jongin’s shield as his presence alone is already enough to reassure Jongin.

“Thank you for coming with me, Sehunnie.”

Sehun just gives him a shrug that has Jongin grinnings. Most people would think of Sehun as cold person, but Jongin knows better. Sehun is the kindest and most caring person that he had ever met.

Since Sehun cannot speak and Jongin isn’t much of talker, they walk in a comfortable silence. A quick glance at his watch tells Sehun that it is quarter past five. Sehun wonders why Jongin’s driver couldn’t drive them, then he remembers that Jongin’s father had gone on a business trip and will only come back next week, so Jongin has to hitch a ride with him.

Sehun notices that the street has gotten seedier the further they went and he cannot help but be curious as to what kind of person Jongin’s cousin is.

“We’re here.” Jongin says with a disbelieving look.

Sehun can understand why Jongin had such an expression as he looks at the building, or should he say club as there is a medium sized neon sign at the side that spells out ‘Exodus.’

That, however, isn’t cause of the teens’ shock. No, the reason is the people that are hanging around the club. Though the club isn’t open yet, people have already started to queue up at the front. They are all the type of people that the boys would usually avoid in the streets.

He subconsciously shifts closer to Jongin when the people turn to stare at them and Sehun is glad that he had come along. He would be scared for Jongin’s well-being had he come alone.

He catches Jongin’s gaze, and gives him pointed look.

Jongin quickly takes out the paper from his pant pocket and reads it with hopefulness. Sehun can’t blame him; he is nervous too, but he isn’t showing it since one of them--which is always him--had to be strong.

“Yes, this is the correct address.” Jongin continues dejectedly.

Sehun nods. With a deep breath, he takes Jongin’s hand into his own, a gesture to reassure both Jongin and himself, and leads him to the entrance.

 


 

A/n Here is the first chapter. I hope it meeting your expectations. Please do forgive me if you found any similarity with fic out there. I had stated that this fic was inprised by Naruto fic that I read long ago. Thanks. :)