Chapter 1

To Love And Be Loved

Just as Baekhyun finished setting the popcorn bowl on his living room coffee table he heard his phone buzz. Without even checking he knew who it was and why. Not again he thought to himself as he opened the text.

 

Baekkie! Things are running later than planned ;) can we meet later or tomorrow? -C

 

He read the text and threw his phone on the couch next to him and sighed. This was a regular occurrence with Chanyeol, ditching him to mess around with some girl. Ever since high school when they had both thankfully transitioned from awkward kids to good looking men, or at least in Chanyeol's case Baekhyun thought. He wasn't much compared to Chanyeol. Chan lost his baby fat, ditched the nerd glasses and grew into his ears, sort of, not to mention how his voice went from a cracked squeak to a deep and sensual. Baekhyun had stayed the same save for getting a bit taller. He was still short compared to Chan even though he was older, and he was thin in an almost delicate way. The two had been best friends since they were kids. Baekhyun didn't mind so much that Chanyeol was always busy with girls, he himself had been asked out a few times though he always turned them down. He just wasn't interested, Baekhyun didn't understand the point of dating, it seemed tedious and pointless to him as he would rather watch movies with his friend than deal with pleasing girls.

 

Text me when you're on the way, i’m starting the movies without you though :P -B

 

He sent the text and began the movie. It was some sort of action film that Chan had wanted to see.

 

The movie was stupid. It was about some macho guy having to save the world all while getting the girl who was a busty blonde. Baekhyun felt more lonely watching this garbage with no one to listen to him make fun of it. He sighed and pulled out his phone. It was near 9:30 and he was starving. Baekhyun decided to order the pizza as he couldn't wait any longer for Chanyeol.

 

He ordered the pineapple pizza (Chanyeol would have to deal with it) and waited. About a half hour later the door finally rang. Baekhyun quickly grabbed the money on the table and bounded off to the door. He quickly opened the door and froze.

 

There on his doorstep was Kris Wu.

 

Kris had gone to highschool with him and Chanyeol and he had been the most popular and not to mention best looking guy in the school. Now he was at his door in a bright red shirt with a matching baseball hat hiding his dyed blonde hair. Say something. “Hhh-” Baekhyun's mouth was dry. Why did he feel so embarrassed? He wasn't in pajamas or anything. He was wearing his nice fitted knit and some skinny jeans nothing embarrassing about that. He had always been nervous around Kris and his group. They weren't the nicest people in school but they were definitely the best looking.

 

“2000 won even.” Kris said.

 

“R-right.” Baekhyun said in a too high voice as he scrambled to count the money

 

“Baekhyun, is that you? The tall man asked smiling wide. “It’s been awhile.”

 

“Y-yeah, um, Hi Kris.” Baekhyun said staring at the ground, his face on fire.

 

What the was wrong with him. Mumbling? Blushing? Why why why? Baekhyun had always been nervous around the popular kids at school and it seemed to carry with him after high school as well. Baekhyun silently cursed his shyness as he took the pizza.

 

“You always were quiet.” Kris said smiling down at Baekhyun who was wishing the ground would swallow him whole. Baekhyun nodded and gripped the pizza box. Why Kris? Why now??

 

“I hope to see you around Baekhyun.” Kris said giving him a pat on the arm before turning away.

Baekhyun rushed into the house for fear of fainting on his own porch. He placed the pizza on the coffee table and flopped onto the couch trying to catch his breath. What is wrong with me?  Why can't I function like a normal person? How did he make a bright red pizza uniform look good? Oh my god what the am I thinking what the fu-

 

“Baek?” A voice he recognized as Chanyeol's called from the foyer. Chanyeol closed the door and made his way into the living room. He grabbed a slice of pizza and sat next to Baekhyun.

 

“Sorry I’m late.” He said through a mouth full of pizza. “Pineapple really Baek?”

 

Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol.

 

“Hey I said I was sorry for being late. You know how things go…” Chanyeol smiled sheepishly before grabbing another slice.

 

“Why are you so red? Did I miss a scene?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“N-no! God Chanyeol i’m not a prude.” The smaller man squeaked while his face turned to a more violent shade of red. “Kris Wu was the pizza guy.”

 

Chanyeol whipped his head to stare at Baekhyun. “No way, you’re kidding.” he said his eyes wide.

 

“It’s true.” Baekhyun said finally grabbing a slice of pizza.


Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun his head cocked to the side. “So that's why you’re blushing?”

 

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

“We’re still on for lunch right?” Baekhyun asked as he shoved books and notebooks into a leather messenger bag.

“Definitely.” Chanyeol said absently. his eyes following the two girls who walked by.

Baekhyun frowned. There was a 50/50 chance Chanyeol actually heard him and an even slimmer chance that he would meet up with him for lunch. It was the beginning of their second year at university and Baekhyun was excited to finally be joining the music program. The music program was the main reason why he chose this particular school. Chanyeol came for the business program and because of his family connections. Chanyeol was to join his father's company Park Tech Inc. when he was done with university. Though Chan was always more interested in music he didn't really have a choice in his future profession. When the two were in highschool, agents would always stop Chanyeol on the street  to give him their cards and invite him to audition for their companies The agents were dazzled by Chanyeol's good looks that if they did look to Baekhyun it was in confusion. Some offered Baekhyun their cards but only to be polite. Baekhyun knew he wasn't bad looking he just didn't have the appeal that Chanyeol had. He was softer, smaller and more delicate whereas Chanyeol was tall, y and very masculine. Baekhyun, however, had a powerful voice which definitely didn't match his appearance. If he never got the chance to follow his dream of being an idol that would be okay, being a music teacher was a worthy profession to him.

 

“So see y-”

“Yeah Baek sure.” Chanyeol said before he trailed after the girls. Baekhyun rolled his eyes. He took out his class list to see where his first class was. He knew he would be about 20 minutes early but Baekhyun had the habit of arriving overly early for fear of being late, and he was excited to see the arts center.

 

The walk to the arts center was pretty. It was in the older part of campus so it was bit further but Baekhyun didn't mind. The air was crisp and the sky was a bright blue dotted by an occasional fluffy white cloud. The path to the art center was covered by tall shady trees and there were ferns and spring flowers on the forest floor on either side of the concrete. Baekhyun took in a deep breath as he approached the door. Something felt different and right, there was something in the fresh spring air that made him feel excited and inspired, like anything could happen.

 

Baekhyun found the lecture hall and sat in the first row right in front of the large black board. There was no one else around so he took his time taking out his books, straightening them and arranging his notebooks and pens into perfect parallel lines. He was setting down his last pen when he was interrupted by a deep voice.

 

“Baekhyun?” The deep voice questioned.

Baekhyun whipped his head to look behind him while his arm hit the table and scattered his pens on the floor.

“Kris?”

 

He looked good. He looked really good. Kris was wearing a tight gray shirt with the sleeves rolled up showing off his toned forearms. Baekhyun didn't think arms could be y until now. Kris had his hair down and messy, pulling off that just rolled out of bed look that Baekhyun could only dream of having. The sight of the tall man in front of him made his stomach do flips and his heart race.

 

“I should have known you would be in the music program, you were in choir in high school right?”

Kris said as he took the seat next to Baekhyun.

 

“Y-yeah I, uh, yeah choir.” Baekhyun stuttered feeling his face turn red in embarrassment.  Kris smiled at him his eyes turning into crescents he then took out his work books and Baekhyun had to physically stop himself from staring. Why the ? Why the does he have to be in the exact class I am? What the !!??

 

The rest of the students filed in and the class began. Baekhyun would have loved to hear any of what the teacher had to say but he was too concerned with things like breathing normally and keeping his eyes off the boy to his left. After an excruciatingly long hour class was finally dismissed. Baekhyun packed his things quickly in an attempt to get himself as far away from Kris as possible.

 

“Baekhyun wait up!” Kris called as Baekhyun was about to walk through the door to freedom.

Baekhyun froze. He was a dead man. Goodbye world, he mused on all the good food he would miss now that he was near death.

 

“Are you in a hurry?” Baekhyun opened his eyes and looked up at the handsome man before him.

 

“No.” He said breathlessly. Damnit Baekhyun what the is that???

 

Kris smiled and rubbed the back of his neck, unknowingly showing off his defined chest.

 

“Do you maybe want to go to a cafe with me tonight?”

 

Baekhyun's mind went blank. Cafe. He swallowed. With me. He felt his face turn red again. Tonight.

 

“Baekhyun?” Kris said arching a brow.

 

“S-sure. Coffee. Good.”

 

WHAT THE !!!!????

 

The taller man laughed despite Baekhyun's obvious embarrassment. Kris scribbled down his number on a scrap piece of paper and put it in Baekhyun's hand.


“See you tonight Byun Baekhyun.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eN_sAGbtAXAudI0i0kj4U76zFlAsUpkZWKBc9aGJ