Chapter Two

The Roommate

           The door slammed open, making you all jump.

            “What’s all the noise, I could hear you from outside.” A voice snapped. A figure stood in the doorway, outlined from the bright light coming in from the hallway. The figure dragged his suitcase through the entrance before turning on the lights.

            It took you a minute to adjust to the light, you had been in the darkness watching that show for hours.

            “Oh, you came early.” DK stated

            “No, I came on time”

            This was not what you pictured. He did not look like you imagined him to. There was no way that his guy got the rest of these idiots kicked out of apartments three times. He looked so…uh it feels so weird thinking this.

            He looked like twelve. He seriously could get the kids menu at a restaurant and no one would look twice. Not to mention he was short, he was definitely shorter than you. He had blonde hair that barely pulled itself into a ponytail at the back, framed by the pales skin ever.

            His expression didn’t seem to keen though. “No, I said I would come around three.” He snapped again, closing the door behind him.

            “It isn’t- Oh my gosh, how long have we been here?” DK showed me the clock: Three fifteen. What? There was not way you had been siting on the couch watching anime for that long. Did you even go to bathroom? You figured you must have been enjoying yourself.

            “We’ve been watch anime.” Hoshi told the new guy.

            “I could tell when you blew my eardrums out in the parking lot.”

            His guy did not seem friendly,

            He looked around the place before walking to the hallway. “Which one is mine?” He asked DK. Was he purposeful avoiding eye contact with you?

            “The one on the left. And this is your-“ DK gestured to you but before he could say any more that guy was already out of sight, the sound of a door slamming quickly followed his absence.

            There was an unsettling silence that followed in which both of the boys looked at you expectantly.

            “He seems like a .” You stated bluntly. You were too tired to care, and based on the repressed smile on Hoshi’s face, you weren’t the only one who thought so.

            DK coughed obviously, and Hoshi’s smile disappeared instantaneously. “He’s tired, and you know you wouldn’t be exactly sociable if you worked seven to two every time.” DK was talking directly to Hoshi, and then turned to you, “Just give him the night. In the morning he will be back to normal.”

            You looked at the TV the anime character fallen on the screen holding their stomach by their bloody hands, “Want to continue?” you ask them.

            Both of the boys looked at you with an expression close to mourning, “We can’t” Hoshi spoke quietly, well it wasn’t quite for a normal person, but it was quiet for Hoshi, “WoozI will probably  be annoyed by the noise.”

            “Woozi?” A laugh escaped you, “His name is Woozi?”  The name seemed too fun for whatever dickhead just walked through the door.  “What kind of a name is that.”

            This time DK and Hoshi smiled with you. “A nickname we gave him in high school. He used to say he hated it but he stopped complaining about it so… I guess likes it? I don’t know, maybe he just got sick of correcting us.”

            “The later is probably true.” DK added.

            “What’s up with you guys and nicknames?” You sat yourself down on the floor. Your legs crossed with  your head resting seat of the couch. DK stretched his legs out where you used to sit but his legs where too long to fit. He settled on setting his ankles on the armrests and his head in Hoshi’s lap. “Are you ever going to tell me your real names?”

            “Are you kidding me? You could have a Death Note or something, no way!” Hoshi explained  passionately through a mouthful of chips..

            “Oh come one!” You attempted to snatch the chip bag from him, “I don’t want to call you Hoshi forever.”

            “Yah! Guys!” DK yelled, the fight over the chip bag had left his face the rest ground for fallen chips. He grabbed the bag and sat up from Hoshi’s lap and began to eat them.

            “Once you start you don’t stop till you’ve finished the whole bag…” Hoshi huffed, crossing his arms.

            “There is not much left to finish,” DK retorted, shaking the bag close to Hoshi’s face to hear the barely audible rumble of the chips. Hoshi tried to make a grab for it but DK was anticipating it.  “We bought this bag  three days ago.”

            “Well you ate all the pork belly the night that we got it.” Hoshi retorted

            Anyone that would overhear this passing by would think they were having a legit fight. But you had heard them go over the same argument through your wall and it always seemed to end in laughter. Or a dance battle, either one.

            “Nicknames!” You half yelled, trying to get back to the original topic by jabbing DK’s leg. DK smirked, and grabbing a handful of chips, tossed the bag back to Hoshi before resuming his head on Hoshi’s lap.

            “We came up with those nicknames as a joke because Hoshi” DK turned his head to look at you, your chin resting on the couch cushions. “Was seriously paranoid after watching Death Note.”

            “Wouldn’t you be? I was young and impressionable, also that show is scary if you watch it young.” Hoshi spat defensively, “Hoshi means ‘star’ in Japanese”

            “DK stand for Donkey Kong, I was obsessed with that game in High School.”

            “Woozi?”

            Hoshi laughed hollowly, “I would like to keep my limbs, thank you.”

            “Good choice.” A voice grumbled from the walls. I could’ve hit myself, how could I have forgotten how easy it was to hear Hoshi and DK when they were out here. Hell, the living room was one paper-thin wall away from the bedroom.

            We all exchanged nervous looks. DK had shot up from Hoshi’s lap when we heard Woozi’s voice his head colliding with the chip bag in Hoshi’s hand on the way up. Chip crumbs were all over DK’s hair and clothes.

            This night was an emotional rollercoaster ride.