Glow

Just A Spark

A tussled looking Sunmi passes by the door of the detention room.

I call out her name to grab her attention. “Sunmi!”

She snaps her head sideways aggressively.

“How’s—” She cuts me off with a frustrated groan.

“Youngmi,” she says as patiently as she can. “I haven’t got time to review the book. I’ll get back to you after the exams are over.” Before I can respond, she strides out of my view.

Right. I didn’t expect anything yet.

Jun Ryeol kicks my desk and it falls to the floor with a crash. My water bottle that I placed on top of it spills, the water spreading towards my books on the floor. I rush over to pick up my books.

I turn to Jun Ryeol, flaming. “What’s your problem?!”

“I was bored,” he shrugs with a smile.

Rearranging the desk to its original position, Jun Ryeol murmurs, “I never knew your back looked so pretty.”

I get shivers from hearing his eerie words that sound like a threat.

Avoiding his gaze, I move to a drier area, taking out my homework. Where’s the teacher? She’s been gone for more than half an hour. I don’t think I can tolerate Jun Ryeol longer.

“Hey,” Jun Ryeol whispers, moving to the seat beside me. “Do you want to go home with me after class?”

I glance at him and see how dirtily he stares at me from top to bottom.

“Get out of my face, you punk!” I push his chest but instead, he grabs my hand, kissing it. “Stop it!” I’m trying to pull it away from his filthy mouth but he’s stronger.

“Don’t pretend you don’t like it!” he teases evilly.

Finally, he loses his grip and the only action I could think of doing is to slap him across his cheek.

“Youngmi!” Of course the teacher just had to walk in when I’m slapping him. “Detention! For one more week!”

Jun Ryeol grins satisfactorily, leaning back against his chair. “Aigo. She’s so rude, teacher.”

I know I should defend myself, but I can’t bring myself to speak out regarding the humiliation. The way Jun Ryeol looked at me like an object.

I clench my jaw and hide my nose in a book to distract myself.

***

Even after detention ended, Jun Ryeol continues to irk me by slapping my with the palm of his hand.

I gasp, shocked at his behaviour. He winks, completely enjoying himself.

 

I walk towards the toilet and bend over the sink, puking in disgust.

What does Jun Ryeol think he’s doing? Slowly tears flow down my face without warning. I wipe it off hastily with the back of my hand and cringe when I realize it’s the one Jun Ryeol kissed.

What kind of a man is he? I thought I’ve been through the worse of life. Apparently not.

With a slow pace, I walk gloomily to the bus stop.

I’ve slept on numerous streets but never have I felt so degraded as I did when Jun Ryeol looked at me that way.

“Youngmi?” Jackson approaches me carefully. “Are you okay?” I look up at him when he stands in front of me. Tears well up in my eyes and a drop falls down on my cheek.

“Is everything alright?” He wipes the single tear gently with his thumb.

Here’s someone I can trust, my heart says.

“Jackson…” I mumble, unsure of what to do.

“Did something happen?”

I nod weakly.

***

“That bastard!” Jackson yells, clenching his hands into fists beside him. I’ve finally calmed down in GOT7’s car. His manager is driving us again.

It took me awhile before I could tell Jackson what happened.

“I’ll punch him the next time I meet him,” Jackson says angrily.

“He’ll only make my life worse.” I slip my hand in hid tightly clenched fist. He loosens it to let my fingers intertwine with his. “Don’t do anything drastic. He’s a jerk.”

“That’s ual harassment!”

“Don’t remind me,” I tell him, looking down.

“I’m sorry,” he says when he realizes how uncomfortable I am. “So where are we going?” He glances out the window, assessing the unfamiliar area.

I secretly told the manager where to go to surprise Jackson.

“Come on, let’s go down,” I say, getting off the car once the manager pulls up in the car park. Jackson follows me closely.

“Who are we visiting?” Jackson asks as we enter the old building. We walk through the white corridor which was quiet at this time.

I tap lightly on the door.

“Come in!” a chirpy voice replies.

I exchange a glance with Jackson. “We’re meeting someone special.” I bring him in with me.

The expression on Munhee’s face is priceless.

She’s wearing a cute beanie on her head, hiding her thinning hair. Her pale skin is even more translucent now. She’s skinnier than before. I feel a tinge of sadness after noticing the differences, but it is quickly replaced with happiness when I see her gasping at the sight of Jackson.

“You’re – you’re –” She’s breathless, staring at Jackson with wide eyes.

I notice Jackson’s thinking hard, putting the pieces together. We’re at the hospital in the cancer ward. Come on, Jackson. Do you remember what I told you yesterday?

“You must be…Munhee,” he says, putting his hand out for a handshake. That’s right, Jackson. “I’ve heard so much about you.” I chuckle, knowing full well I only told him that Munhee is my bestest friend yesterday.

Munhee screams in high pitch, alerting a nurse outside who immediately runs into the room.

“Is everything okay?” he asks, concerned.

“Yes, yes,” I assure him, ushering him out to give Munhee more privacy for her fangirling.

“I’m a big fan of you!” she exclaims, pulling out a bunch of GOT7 merchandise from a drawer on her bedside table.

Jackson, being a professional idol, starts providing fan service by complimenting her and taking a bunch of photos with her from each angle at every corner in her room.

When her excitement finally dies down an hour later, Jackson takes a breather from his professionalism and sits tiredly on the chair.

“I’m sorry,” Munhee mutters, noticing his exhaustion. “I was so excited!”

“It’s not a problem!” Jackson reassures her. “I like excited fans.”

“I’ve never met an idol before. It’s so hard to get seats to music shows or fan signs. They’re virtually impossible if you don’t devote yourself to a group,” she says. “I live in Korea and I’ve never seen idols. It’s pathetic.”

“Nothing pathetic about that,” I disagree with her.

“Says the girl who works with tons of idols!” she replies with a hurt expression.

“So are you guys…” Munhee glances at me and Jackson with a cheeky smile on her face. “You know.”

“No…no, we don’t know.” I stare blankly at her.

“Never mind,” she waves it off, leaving both of us in confusion.

“I have to call someone.” Jackson excuses himself from the room.

Once Jackson is gone, Munhee jumps over to me, hugging me tightly.

“Munhee!” I laugh, getting the breath squeezed out of my lungs.

“Wake me up if this is a dream!” She murmurs against my shoulders, pinching my skin at various spots. “Please wake me up now if this is a dream.”

“It isn’t,” I say, holding her close.

She pulls herself way and settles back into her blanket. “The stories you told me always seemed…unreal. Jackson. Hanbin. YG. Now that I’m seeing Jackson in front of me, it feels different. It feels…” She searches for a suitable word.

“Real?” I suggest for the lack of a better word.

Jackson re-enters the room and we both stare at him in awe.

“I know, I know,” he says, smirking proudly. “I’m too goodlooking.”

We laugh at his brazen behaviour.

A knock on the door distracts us.

It’s Jackson’s manager and he hands something over to an enthusiastic Jackson. He thanks the manager and hides the item behind his back.

“What is it?!” Munhee shrieks in anticipation. Goodness, I have never seen Munhee act so childish in front of other people!

“It’s a gift for you two,” he declares, grinning widely. Even I am secretly eager to know what it is.

“Please!” Munhee begs after a moment of silence from Jackson. “Just tell us!”

I’m slowly being moved to tears again seeing Munhee glowing from happiness so I bite my lip to hold it back.

“Tickets!” He waves it around. “To our music show. This weekend!”

Munhee pauses, her expression falling.

“You…you don’t like it?” Jackson asks, hesitant.

Munhee slips out of her bed and tiptoes her way to Jackson. She checks the ticket for its authenticity. Then suddenly, she envelopes Jackson in a silent hug, hiding her face in his chest.

“Thank you,” she barely says, choking on her tears.

Jackson smiles at me while patting Munhee’s fragile looking body.

Here’s someone who cares, my heart chirps in.

***

“That was sweet of you,” I say in an undertone.

We’re standing a block away from YG building.

“Munhee’s a sweet girl,” Jackson states, shrugging. “Anything for her.”

I awkwardly rub my neck. “Well, see you…whenever.”

I turn around to leave but Jackson holds on to my arm.

“Yeah…?”

“You forgot something.” He stares at me expectantly.

I scratch my head, clueless. Does he want something? …A kiss?

“You left your ticket,” he interrupts my thoughts, slipping the ticket into my fingers. “See you.”

“Uh, right,” I mutter nervously, tucking it safely into my pocket. Right. Focus, Youngmi!

I’m walking towards YG with light steps.

I would never trade Munhee’s happiness that I saw today with anything else.

Entering the building, I give a huge smile to the security who stares indifferently back.

My steps turn into skips but halts abruptly at the sight of Bobby reading a book next to the elevator. “There you are,” he mutters, as if he expected me.

“I’m not in the mood,” I say, pressing the elevator button. He follows me in. I’m about to press the button to my floor when I realize that Bobby’s watching. “What do you want?”

“Don’t you remember your promise?” he asks, pretending to be surprised.

“Jackson gave me…” Should I tell him? “A phone.”

“Well, great,” he says through clenched teeth. “Give me your number.”

I shoot him a dark glance.

“I’ll give it to you if you leave me alone.” I cross my arms across my chest. “Get out of this elevator after I give it to you.”

“No problem.”

After giving him the number, he immediately calls it to check if it’s the true number.

My phone rings and he nods, satisfied.

“Alright, hottie. Take care.” He ruffles my hair on his way out.

“Whatever,” I say, quickly pressing the doors close so that he doesn’t change his mind.

On my way up, of course, Jiyong has to enter the lift.

“I haven’t seen you in quite a while,” he says solemnly.

I’m looking away, secretly giggling at the memory of our last visit at the ice cream shop. He deserved it though.

He appears distracted, looking at his phone while sighing.

“Kiko problems?” I ask as he loudly sighs for the fifth time.

“True love problems,” he mutters cheesily.

“You don’t need to emphasise that every time,” I say, weirded out. We arrive on my floor and I lie, “Oh, I need to get some papers off this floor. See you around, Jiyong.”

***

I’m unpacking my bag in my room.

Finally. This day ends.

I’m about to drop on my mattress when my phone rings, but it’s inside my bag which is across the room so I ignore it.

It might just be Jackson checking in, but I’m too tired to move.

It continues to ring for a few minutes until I’m growing numb to the sound.

“There you are,” a voice awakens me from my slumber and I snap upwards. “I’ve been looking for you.”

My eyes grow wider when I realize it’s Bobby standing at the entrance of my room.

He looks around the small private space where I belong. “So what’s this about?”