LOG SET #7

Hikikomori
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

June 7, 2337

It's Agent MIN's turn to drive.  Since he's preoccupied for now, that means I have some time to relax in the backseat with my friends and sort out my thoughts.  Reading through Suho's journals keeps convincing me that whatever I've been told in the past few hours is true.  Our government was established with ill intentions towards humans, not the instinct to survive against all odds.  Here's what I've learned so far:

- My parents, the Parks, and the Commander were the first ones to defect over to the Resistance.  The Commander is Suho's son which makes sense that he was the one that found the journal. Apparently there's been a lot of drama in that family.  Anyway, once they found out that we were the bad guys, they decided to become double agents.

- The journal isn't fake and Agent MIN isn't lying.  A few minutes after he told us the whole story, he got us on a secure line to talk to the Commander so he could confirm the story.

- After being told the truth by his parents, Chanyeol joined the Resistance shortly after we left the academy and moved into our apartment.  Despite my unwavering loyalty to the military, he was convinced that if I was eased into knowing the truth that I would join the Resistance.  He spoke for me, telling the Commander that I would be a valuable asset for the cause.  He was right.  Chanyeol knows me too well.  Agent MIN was in on the plan and decided to be our protector that lives down the hall in case anything happened to us.

- The only reason the Commander has not gone public with this information is politics.  There are a group of people within the system that share Suho's vision, that we should be pushing for the right to keep humans as slaves.  We were told that they are dangerous and they haven't the Commander yet because they believe that he is still on their side.  The Commander wants to change the system from the inside.  He doesn't want to fight a war which I completely understand.  I don't know who these people are or why think that such a thing could be just but it's now our job to find out.  What scares me is that I know many Elementals out there that would agree with them, especially considering the losses we've faced at the hands of humans.

Kyungsoo seems broken.  He's human and so is Siwon, two friends who could possibly become enslaved if the Resistance fails.  I think that they've realized how grave the situation is.  I keep feeling sick whenever I think about them being owned by one of us, not just because they're human.  No one, whether they are human or Elemental, should be owned by anyone.  We should be free enough to live our lives for ourselves, without fear and mistrust in those that govern us.  I understand that now.

I think I'm beginning to understand many of the mysteries in my life.

The Commander's guard comes in close contact with all the political officials at the Headquarters building.  At one point in time I would have been there and it suddenly makes sense that I'm not.  The old me wouldn't have cared what would happen to humans because of what I thought had happened to my parents.  I would have been into this conspiracy to overthrow the Commander and collaborated with those awful people to enslave humans.  I suspect that Chanyeol saw that and he asked the Commander to take back what he had once offered me and convinced him to make me an asset instead.  I suppose it worked.

I've fought alongside a few humans that have been fooled by a false history and have grown quite fond of their species.  In the lower ranks, I learned that not all humans were bad and I had even come close to forgiving their kind for killing my parents.  Now that I know what they were fighting for, I forgive them completely.  Chanyeol saved me from myself like he always does.  I will never be able to thank him enough.

As for the mystery of my parents, it is still unclear.  Agent MIN was still in the academy at that time and therefore he did not know my parents very well.  When we spoke to the Commander earlier today, I asked him how they died.  To put it simply, no one knows how or why.  According to him, they had gone on a mission for the Resistance without telling anyone and had gotten themselves killed in the process.  He doesn't know who killed them or if it was an accident.  He is not even sure what lead they could have been following up on at the time.

It didn't hurt me as much as I thought it would.  I guess I've been too used to not knowing what happened to them that I don't allow myself to hope that anyone would know.  Maybe I'll never find out.  Maybe I'll die the same way they did, fighting for the Resistance, but I'll always be kept in the dark about their death.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter