DAY 27

Hundred Ways

“Try some.”


For my entire life, I have never gone to the Spring Festival here in Zitao’s hometown. I mean, yes, I have attended different festivals in different countries, but not here, where my boyfriend lives.

The lanterns are wonderful. They bring light to the dark surrounding of the lively night market. People are joyous, and the stands bring out the festive vibe of the event. My eyes couldn’t stop looking at different places, and I think tonight’s going to end nicely.

Zitao sees me stare at random things, so he takes the chance to lock our hands. Smiling, I nudge him and quickly lace our fingers. Without any warning, he begins to sprint over some food stalls to start the night.

There are numerous snacks on sticks, and actually, I don’t know what to eat. They look appetizing, but what Zitao offers to me is a… a… a something.

He smiles, “Try some.”

“What in the world is that?” I say silently, but loud enough for him to hear.

It’s a stuffed something on a stick dipped in seemingly barbecue sauce. It actually looks like a small balloon but I keep it to myself. Reluctantly, I grab the stick and examine the thing. Then, when Zitao shoves his street food in his mouth, I boldly do the same.

For some reason, it doesn’t taste as horrible as it looks.

Zitao says, “You just ate a frog.”

Well… Let’s just say, I was expecting something worse.

“What’s next?” I daringly ask after putting my stick down. Zitao laughs at that, but brings me over to where the Shabu Shabu is, saying that it’s enough exotic food for tonight.