DAY 17

Hundred Ways

“Watch your step.”


Junmyeon tied the ribbon of the hospital gown right above my baby bump. A big smile is on his face as he intentionally brushed his fingers on my stomach, still remembering what happened last night.

Our first baby made a little swirl yesterday, when we were in bed. Out of habit, Junmyeon kept his hands on my belly, softly rubbing his thumbs on the middle. It surprised him when he felt small movements on his palms. That was the first time our baby moved, and Junmyeon was really happy and excited to the extent that he placed his head on the bump and felt the baby’s movements on his cheek.

It’s my fifth month of pregnancy, and Junmyeon is more than excited to find out our baby’s gender. Last night, after the baby moved, he suggested that we go visit my OB today for the monthly check-up.

“Are you nervous?” I ask, peering at his face to see his anxious grin.

Junmyeon chuckles, “I’m more of excited than nervous.” He leads me outside of the dressing room and guides me to the stairs where my doctor is waiting. “Watch your steps. They’re a little steep.” With his hand on my back and the other one on my arm, he helps me step up the stairs. It isn’t really needed – my baby bump isn’t that big yet – but I really like that he’s being like this: extra careful.

The doctor greets us, and she helps me sit on the bed, telling me to lie down so we could start. Junmyeon is standing on the end of the bed, keeping his eyes on the monitor where the ultrasound will be shown.

After she spread some gel on my tummy, she rubbed the transducer over the bump. Almost instantly, something popped up in the screen, and I could almost hear Junmyeon’s smile. The doctor moves the transducer over my tummy, making sure to rub it on all sides of my stomach. It takes her about three minutes before her hand comes to a stop.

She smiles widely and eyes Junmyeon, “It’s a she, Mr. Kim.”