Six

You're Messing with my Head

His breath smelt of mints as he spoke. I’d never been this close to anyone, never smelt someone’s breath as they spoke before.

I was a little surprised that he’d be so worried about telling me that. We’d be friends for a little over a year so I should hope that he liked me!

Jackson reached his hand up and touched my chest. He leaned in a little closer until his lips were touching my cheek and kissed there.

“Oh!” It finally hit me! or rather, it finally kissed me. “Jackson!” I was very shocked!

At that moment a small boy with brown hair and a really knowing look about him came around the corner. He had a large backpack on and a large suitcase which he dragged behind him. In the other hand he held a small piece of paper. 

“I’m sorry! I don’t mean to interrupt!” He said, waving his hands in front of his face with his eyes closed. The piece of paper wafting as he did.

Both Jackson and I jumped a little, but neither of us moved from our close proximity to each other.

The boy spoke again, this time with his eyes open. He started to blush a little and smiled way too much. “Would either of you be able to help me find my room? I’m Yugyeom; I was a late entry.”

“Jackson,” Jackson said as he stepped away from me and held his hand out for the piece of paper. After studying it for a second he raised his head and handed it back. “L25; that’s right next to us. We’re gonna be neighbours,”

Jackson had regained his usual composure like the past few minutes hadn’t happened. I stared at his face. He was totally calm and collected.

“I’m Mark,” I said shaking the free hand of Yugyeom feeling a little ignored. Jackson didn’t even look at me.

“Nice to meet you both. I’m really glad I have friendly neighbours. I’ll see you both around,” He smiled way too much again and then disappeared into the door next to ours.

Jackson looked back at me then. He looked so sad.

“Just, please tell me as soon as you can. I don’t like feeling this way,” He slipped back into the room with little noise.

I was so confused. He’d been such a good friend. How can he suddenly have feelings for me? Why did I want him to kiss me more? He’s a boy! I can’t like boys! But if we become more than friends, it will be ruined!

I slid down the wall and sat on the floor. How was I supposed to face him now? What was I supposed to say? Did I have to act like nothing happened in front of Junior? What would he even say if he found out? What would the others say?

I was scared.