Five

You're Messing with my Head

Now it was just Jackson and me standing in the hallway. I was still wondering about what was up with Jackson when he turned to me.

“Hey, so I had something to talk to you about,” He almost whispered. His eyes wavered from mine to the floor and back. He seemed nervous.

“It’s something odd, and I don’t want to freak you out, so…I don’t really know how to say this.” I’d never seen Jackson like this before. Except maybe right before our end of first year exam.

“Whatever it is, you know I’m gonna be here for you.” I’d hoped he wasn’t in trouble with anyone. Maybe someone he knew had gotten into an accident and he hadn’t been able to deal with it. Or a fight he’d gotten into; but he doesn’t seem hurt at all.

“It happened when you were helping me with my homework the other day. You leant over me, and gently placed your hand on my shoulder and you smelt of your cologne and the way your hair fell over your eyes as you read my essay I just…” he trailed off.

I still wasn’t totally on the same page as him. Was he trying to tell me I smelt nice? Was he saying I need a haircut? what was it?

“What are you talking about?” I asked, leaning against the wall. He rubbed his face and then pressed his hands together. I could tell this was hard for him, but I don’t know why telling me I need a hair cut would be hard.

“Mark, I didn’t mean for it to happen. I think this might make a lot of sense though…like why I never end up asking a girl on a second date…” he was giving me solid eye contact now, waiting for me to get it. But of course I still didn’t.

“Oh, Mark can’t you just read between the lines for once?” he said looking down at the floor. it sounded more of a desperate plea than him trying to be rude. I was still so confused. “You being that close to me…you’d never done it before…it made my heart race. And I’m finding it difficult to tell you because we’re such good friends.” He said this still looking at the floor.

“Are you saying…” I started but I couldn’t finish before Jackson interrupted me. He took a step closer and look right into my eyes. His face was closer to mind than it had ever been before.

“I’m saying, I like you, Mark Tuan.” He said.