One

You're Messing with my Head

My eyes flew across the Library. He was leaning on the wall holding a book open in front of him. His eyes locked on me.

I couldn’t tell what he was thinking even though he was burning holes into my face. You’d think after a year of friendship I’d be able to tell Jackson’s thoughts by his face, but he was hard to read. I thought he was looking at me like he wanted to kill me. After all those brown eyes were intense.

Maybe I’d left my towel on the floor of our room again. It was a reasonable enough excuse to be angry; He’d asked me so many times in the past to pick it up. Maybe this was the final straw.

I was getting ready to have his hands around my neck when I noticed it wasn’t anger he was feeling, but confusion. I wonder if he’d even seen me look up. It didn’t seem like it.

I waved at him. He almost jumped, looking startled and embarrassed. He waved back gently, slapped the book shut and turned around to leave.

Whatever he was thinking it would really have to wait until I’d finished my work. I had long essay about some book to finish by tomorrow and I was only half way through. University life sure was a lot tougher in second year.

I think I was at the library until four in the morning, but I didn’t really check the time; I was just so ready to sleep that I powerwalked back to the dorms. I do remember getting a badly spelt text from Junior at around midnight along with a blurry picture of him and BamBam. We call him that because he’s from Thailand and we can’t pronounce his name – he laughs at us every time we try. The message said something about going into town, so they’d already been drinking. It’s okay for some.

Jackson was already tucked up in bed by the time I got home at about half past four. He had his back to the door and was snoring lightly.

I used my phone torch to find my way to bed, placed my bad as silently as I could on the floor and got into bed. I didn’t have the energy to change so I slept in my clothes.