복잡한 (Complicated)

I'll Always Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
It's almost midnight, but Tao doesn't really seem to care.   He's sitting in an airport chair, glancing between the clock and his phone as he re-reads the last text Kris sent him.   'Kris-ge: we just left. love you and see you soon.'   That had been nearly fifteen hours ago. Besides that, it was only a thirteen hour flight.    Kris was late. Or something was wrong. One of the two and Tao didn't particularly want to explore the latter option. Kris was fine, he had to be.   Tao sighs softly, glancing back at the clock as the minute hand moved forward, only five minutes until midnight now.   He should be at home, asleep, resting for school tomorrow. Or, today, in five minutes anyway.   But he'd promised Kris that he'd be waiting at the airport for him when he arrived home and Tao didn't like breaking his promises.   Another half hour passes and Tao settles for a crappy cup of airport coffee, letting the sharp bitterness burn his throat, the caffeine already making him feel more awake.   He glances down at his phone again, a nearly nervous habit now, checking to see if Kris had texted or called.    There's a small red '1' next to the icon for his calls and Tao presses it, lifting his phone to his ear as he takes another drink of coffee.   At first it's quiet, but soon the message plays, Baekhyun's sleepy voice making Tao smile,   'Tao? Why don't you pick up your phone, you little ? It's almost midnight and you're not home. You better not be drunk and passed out somewhere. I miss you. Call me back, okay?'   The message cuts out and Tao pulls his phone back to eye-level, tapping the home button and finding the small book-shaped icon, scrolling through his contacts until he spots a picture of Baekhyun, hitting the small phone icon next to his name and tapping 'speaker phone'.   Each ring seems to last for an eternity, a few people glaring at him for disrupting whatever they were doing that commanded their undiluted attention.    Idiots.   Tao lifts the coffee cup to his lips as Baekhyun picks up and he hurries to swallow,   'Hello?'   Tao clears his throat, running a hand through his hair and trying to suppress a yawn,   "Hey. It's me."   There's a pause, the sound of static crackling through Tao's mind in a constant way that annoyed him,   'What's your problem?'   Tao arches an eyebrow at the phone resting on his thigh, feeling a bit put off by Baekhyun's irritated tone,   "Well excuse you....."   Baekhyun snorts and Tao can imagine him rolling his eyes, probably only half paying attention to their conversation,   'I'm serious. What the hell is with you?'   Tao takes his time answering, choking down a few more mouthfuls of coffee, the black liquid already giving him a headache,   "I don't know what you're talking about...."   There's a silence and Tao can imagine how Baekhyun is probably pinching the bridge of his nose, trying to suppress his anger,   'Like hell you don't. I haven't seen you in two days....no one has.....'   Tao doesn't reply right away, his eyes darkening as he glances out the window, no stars visible thanks to the bright floodlights from the airport.    He swallows slowly, glancing back towards his phone,   "Sorry about that."   The silence is longer this time and Tao is beginning to wonder if Baekhyun has hung up when his voice emanates from the speaker at the bottom of Tao's phone,    'Where the have you been?'   Tao nearly flinches at the anger in his voice. But the sadness hurts more, the fact that Baekhyun was legitimately worried about him,   "I've been around....."   He pauses but decides to keep talking, hoping to smooth this over now before he has to see Baekhyun later,   "Look Baekhyun, I'm sorry. I just needed to be alone."   It was the truth really. After Kris had left, Tao's nightmares had returned. Worse this time. And even being in the house was too much for him.   So he'd pulled a few strings, said his last name a few more times than necessary, and gotten himself a penthouse room in the nearest hotel.   Not like sleeping there had helped at all. But at least no one was around to hear him scream.   It's quiet again, the same irritating static making a reappearance as Tao fights not to continue his explanation, to try to make Baekhyun understand.   Soon enough, his friend's soft voice fills his ears, sounding more tired than anything,   'I miss you.'   Tao smiles sadly, glancing down at his coffee cup which was nearly empty now,   "Yeah?"   Bakehyun laughs, but it's humorless, the sound seeming to hurt Tao, a dull ache in his chest.   'I love you.'   Tao pauses, the pain in his chest seeming to intensify. He curls his fingers tight around the cup in his hand, the fragile cardboard a victim of his frustration.   "My phone's dying. I got to go....."   There's another long silence and Tao can hear Baekhyun breathing, imagining how hurt and angry he must be at Tao.    Before the dark haired boy can yell at him again, Tao continues,   "I'll see you later, okay?"   Tao can hear Baekhyun sigh, the soft sounds of movement as he shifts from where he was sitting.    When he finally speaks, his voice is bitter, full of barely contained anger,    'Don't hold your breath.....'   He pauses for a moment, the soft sounds of him breathing the only thing keeping Tao from hanging up,    ' you, Tao.....'   He hangs up then, the screen of Tao's phone lighting up to inform him that their call was over.   Tao sits there for a moment, feeling a bit surprised that Baekhyun was so angry. He deserved it though.   After disappearing for two days, he barely maintained his side of a seven minute conversation where he sounded perpetually annoyed or bored.   Tao sighs softly, picking up his phone and pressing the button on the side to turn it off.   There was no point in trying to explain to Baekhyun. He couldn't understand.    But even so, it's taking everything he has not to call Baekhyun back and tell him he loves him, tell him he's sorry, that he wants to see him.   But sometimes, you had to choose to keep someone you loved happy, even if it meant breaking your own heart.    Tao swallows slowly, glancing down at his now empty cup. He should probably refill it, give him something to do while he waited.   A few minutes later, Tao returns to his seat with another cup of coffee that tasted like dirt, glancing at the clock. Quarter after twelve.   Where was Kris?    Tao feels a prick of annoyance and pulls his phone out of his pocket, tapping the home button to see if Kris had texted.   He hadn't. But Tao's eyes are now glued to his lock screen.   It's that picture of him and Baekhyun, the one with the cherry trees behind them.    Suddenly, Tao misses Baekhyun with a nearly physical ache, feeling weaker for not being with him.    How could he do this? Keep pushing Baekhyun away when he knew he needed him.    But maybe that was it. Tao didn't want to need anyone.    But he needed Kris to keep him grounded and Baekhyun to remind him to fly.    Just as much as he needed air or water, he needed Kris and Baekhyun.    Tao is about to text Suho and let him know what was happening when there's a crackle of static from the airport speakers and a calm female voice fills Tao's ears,   'Attention; flight 314, Chinese Airlines from Hong Kong, having experienced delay due to weather, is now arriving. We apologize for any inconvenience.'   Flight 314. Kris.   Tao gets to his feet, downing the rest of his coffee in a few swallows and tossing his cup in the trash as he walks along the soft carpet towards the gate.   He knows he probably looks awful, but it's so late and he has a feeling Kris won't look that great either.    Tao reaches the gate just as people begin to trickle out, some happily reunited with family, others walking past him in silence.   But no Kris. Not yet anyways.   Soon, Tao catches sight of Seungri's blonde hair and Kai's tan skin as well as a few others he doesn't know.    Kris can't be far behind.   No sooner has Tao thought this than his boyfriend appears, dressed in a white tee shirt and grey sweatpants, a black beanie covering his dark hair.   He looks beautiful.   He must catch sight of Tao at the same moment because he's smiling and Tao knows he is too as he closes the space between them and crosses his arms behind Kris's neck.   Kris's arms curl around him automatically and it feels so nice, to be held like this.    If only it could always be this simple.   Kris pulls back, tilting Tao's chin up and fitting their lips together.    Tao has missed this.    The kiss is soft and sweet and over far too soon for Tao's liking. Kris smiles at him, brushing his hand across Tao's cheek gently,   'Good morning, beautiful.....I missed you....'   Tao laughs, leaning into Kris's touch as he nods,   "I'm so proud of you...."   Kris's team hadn't won, but they'd placed second, a commendable honor.   Kris shrugs at Tao's words, still looking disappointed that they hadn't managed to snag the top spot.   Seungri is laughing, hitting the back of Kris's head,   'You hear that? Your boyfriend's proud of you!'   Kris glares at him though Tao can see that he's not really angry,   'Well at least someone is.....'   Kai is laughing now too, coming to stand beside Tao, looking amused as he watches Seungri and Kris continue to argue.   Their problems seemed so easy, so trivial. Tao almost feels like laughing.    But then he remembers how angry Baekhyun had been with him, the horrible dreams he'd been having, thoughts of Lay's death never far off.   Everything seemed to slowly be falling apart and no matter how hard Tao tried to hold on, it was all slipping away.    Tao figures he should probably call Suho and let him know that they're coming home and since Kris is currently engrossed in a conversation with his teammates, now seems as good a time as any.   Tao pulls his phone out of his pocket, scrolling through his contacts and tapping the one labeled 엄마. Eomma. Tao smiles softly as he presses the 'call' button and lifts his phone to his ear.   It rings a few times, the short pause between each making Tao think for a moment that maybe Suho had picked up.    Finally, it goes to voicemail, Suho's bright voice echoing from the other side,   'This is Suho, sorry I can't get to the phone right now. Leave a message and I'll call you back.'   There's a soft beeping sound and Tao clears his throat before speaking, sounding just as exhausted as he felt,   "Hey Suho, it's Tao. I'm at the airport and I just met up with Kris. We should be home by one. Sorry about all of this. I'll talk to you later."   He taps the red button to end the call and glances up as he feels Kris tug on his elbow, looking excited about something,   'Tao! I want you to meet the rest of my team...'   He gestures to four other boys who are standing in a semi-circle in front of them.    The one closest to them is tall and thin with thick black hair and a wide smile on his face. This boy, who Kris introduces as Hoseok, shakes Tao's hand enthusiastically, informing him that 'Kris talks about him all the time.'   The next boy looks a few years older than Kris, his hair slicked back, a color that reminds Tao of raspberries. Kris calls him Taeyang and instantly the name is familiar. Taeyang, co-captain of Kris's team.   The third boy is the shortest of all of them, his dirty blonde hair combed forward so that it nearly covers his eyes. He must be Daesung, Kai's partner. Kai talked about him often enough that Tao recognizes him instantly.   The last boy doesn't wait for Kris to introduce him, flashing a smile at Tao as he extends a hand, his voice borderline musical,   'You must be Tao. I'm Jiyong.'   Jiyong has dark red hair and cat-like eyes, his face possessing a beauty that Tao didn't know existed without makeup.    Suddenly the red hair rings a bell in Tao's mind and he remembers watching Jiyong dance the previous night.    Kwon Jiyong, Yonsei's varsity dance captain.    Tao pulls himself out of his thoughts and smiles back at the older boy, trying to resist the urge to ask for his autograph or a selca,   "It's nice to finally meet all of you....Kris talks about you all the time....."   Jiyong grins, tilting his head as he looks at Tao,   'He talks about us? More like he talks about you. I never hear the end of his 'beautiful, smart, and wonderful Tao'.'   Tao blushes slightly, scratching the back of his neck as he looks over at Kris,   "Yeah. He likes to exaggerate a bit...."   Jiyong laughs and it's just as wonderful a sound as Tao would have imagined it to be,   'Oh no, I think he was spot on this time.....'   He winks at Tao and turns to follow after the other boys, leaving Tao with a bit of a giddy-fanboy feeling.    This doesn't last long though.    Kris walks over to Tao, lacing their fingers with a soft smile,   'We better head home, huh? I told Jiyong and Taeyang that they could spend the night since it's so late and we all carpooled.....'   Tao nods, not really caring now that he realizes it's getting closer to twelve thirty and he has school in about six hours.   Silence falls between them as they walk and when Tao glances up, he can see it in Kris's face.   Something's wrong.   Tao arches an eyebrow at his boyfriend, his voice low,   "Kris? What's wrong?"   Kris looks surprised for a moment, glancing up at Tao and shaking his head, doing a fairly good job of sounding confused,   'What? Nothing's wrong.'   But Tao can tell he's lying and that makes him even more worried. If Kris was hiding it from him, it had to be pretty bad.    "Kris, I'm serious, what is it?"   Kris sighs softly, avoiding his gaze, training it on the dull blue carpet instead,   'It's not a big deal.....'   Tao makes a face, feeling irritated now that Kris didn't seem to want to answer him,   "Kris! What is it?"   His boyfriend is quiet for a moment, his words ones that Tao definitely didn't want to hear,   'While I was in Hong Kong, my dad called....'   Tao tries to push back his until shock, blinking a few times, his voice softer now,   "What did he say?"   Kris is smiling but it seems forced, not quite reaching his eyes,   'Oh, just the usual. If I don't break up with you, he'll make me pay, take away my inheritance, hurt me.....'   Tao doesn't reply. Not much scares Tao, but he feels afraid now.   "Kris.....would he ever really....?"   Tao trails off, unable to finish the sentence, the thought of Kris in pain making him feel cold.    Before Tao can think anymore, Kris shakes his head,   'No. I don't think he would. And besides, even if he did, it wouldn't matter....'   He looks over at Tao, a small smile curving his lips as he leans over to press a soft kiss to Tao's cheek,   'As long as I have you, he can't hurt me....'   Tao fights back a blush as the automatic doors slide open and Tao lets Kris lead him out into the parking lot.   It's cold, the wind ruffling Tao's hair, making him shiver as he tightens his grip on Kris's hand, adjusting the weight of his duffle bag,   "Where are you guys parked?"   Kris scans the rows of cars, shrugging as he turns his gaze to Kai,   'Jongin! Where's the car?'   The tan-skinned boy glances up, his eyes running over rows of cars as he pauses,   'We're parked over there but Seungri's car is right here.....'   After Kai finishes his sentence, Daesung smiles at the taller boy, giving him a quick hug and murmuring something about Kai doing a good job.   Kris releases Tao's hand to give Seungri a high-five, laughing as Hoseok hugs him, his gangly arms thrown around Kris's neck.   Tao watches them for a moment, realizing that this is the first time he's seen Kris this happy since Lay died.   It's nice.   Jiyong walks up beside Tao, seeming to sink into his turtleneck a bit to fend off the cold,   'He's wonderful, you know. Kris. He's already garnering sponsors for the team, getting people interested in scouting us.'   He pauses for a moment, his dark eyes seeming to shimmer in the fluorescent light,   'I got a call from our manager this morning. He said that SM Entertainment has contacted him. They're interested in Kris, in us.'   Tao feels a brief flash of shock, glancing over at the older boy,   "What? Seriously?"   Jiyong is smiling, his eyes crinkling in a beautiful way that, again, made Tao wish he could draw.   'Seriously. He's being modest about it, but I know he's excited. They want to put the seven of us into a group.....'   Tao shakes his head a few times, unable to believe what the older boy was saying was the truth.   If Kris signed a contract with SM, he wouldn't be able to see Tao much. Between recording, filming, and making public appearances, Tao would become a thing of the past.   Well that was a scary thought.    Tao doesn't speak for a moment, watching as Kris waves again to the other boys.    The smile on his face, the way he was laughing.   Would Tao really be able to sacrifice his own happiness for that?   Maybe.   But then again, maybe not.   Jiyong arches an eyebrow at Tao, poking him in the shoulder,   'Earth to Tao. Tao, do you read me?'   Tao laughs, brushing off his hand. He glances over at the red haired boy, again have to suppress the urge to ask for an autograph.   "Shut up. I was just thinking......"   He pauses for a moment, his voice softer than before,   "They really like him?"   Jiyong smiles at him, a strand of hair falling into his eyes as he nods,   'Yeah they do. You should-'   Kris cuts him off, calling to the older boy across the expanse of asphalt separating them,    'Hey! Jiyong! Stop flirting with my boyfriend!'   Jiyong rolls his eyes, a wonderful light red blush dusting his cheeks as he flips Kris off and turns away, mumbling something that sounded a lot like 'ducking gas pole'.   Taeyang is laughing, shoving Jiyong as they both head in the direction of Kai's BMW.    Kris comes to a stop beside Tao, glancing between s and his boyfriend, a small smile curving his lips,   'So you've met Jiyong....'   Tao laughs softly, watching as the boy's red hair and white turtleneck grow more distant.   "I like him."   Kris makes a face, glaring after his leader, his voice filled with barely concealed annoyance,   'Not too much I hope.....'   Tao rolls his eyes, hitting Kris softly on his arm,   "Oh shut up Kris. Come on, let's go home."     The ride home is a lot more fun than Tao anticipated.    He's squeezed in the backseat between Taeyang and Jiyong, the three of them singing SuJu at the top of their lungs and dancing along as best they can.   Kris seems annoyed with them, but Kai is laughing, singing along as he drives.   Tao doesn't remember the last time he laughed this much and for a moment, he almost forgets about what was waiting for him at home.   The car pulls to a stop far too soon, all of them retrieving their bags and heading for the door.   It occurs to Tao that this is the first time Kris and Kai's friends have been to their house. Somehow his mind puts Luhan, Baekhyun, and Jiyong together.   Well this should be interesting.   It's warm inside, a flood of light falling across the yard as Kris opens the door and ushers all of them into the house.   There's a small commotion as coats are taken off and shoes left in the hallway, Kris herding them towards the living room.   Even though it's nearly one in the morning, most of the boys are still awake, only Chanyeol and Sehun missing.   Suho glances up as soon as he catches sight of them, his eyes widening slightly at the newest additions to their group.   The others follow his gaze and Tao watches as Luhan's mouth falls open, Baekhyun elbowing him with a grin, whispering something that sounded a lot like 'You know who that is?'.   Before Kris has a chance, Jiyong sets his
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter