Two Halves Make One

Feels Like a Fantasy

 

Erika’s POV

 

After two restless nights, and a relentlessly vivid recollection of what happened at the entrance of my apartment with Zico two nights ago, I am now standing behind the railing across from the international arrival gates, waiting for Karla, my one and only crazy sister. I am waiting in anticipation and excitement. This will be my first time seeing her in person since I left America a year and a half ago.

I was about to look around when I see that people begin to emerge from the gates. But, thirty minutes later and my sister is still not out. Most likely stuck in immigration, I think to myself. The crowd of waiting people and incoming people thinned drastically. I check my phone to see if I got a message or a lost call, but there is nothing. I stand in front of the monitors with all the arriving and departing flights. I search for my sister’s flight and see that it arrived on time, an hour ago. I am about to turn around when I am ambushed by a stumbling hug.

“Guess who??” I hear an excited voice I know all too well.

“Really, Karla? You’re the only one I am waiting for,” I turn to her with a huge smile on my face and hug her back.

After separating from our embrace, I take my sister’s luggage on one hand and wrap my other arm around her shoulders and lead her out and to my car.

“Oh my gosh!!” Karla exclaims. “It’s so humid here!”

“More than Texas? I don’t think so,” I laugh at her reaction.

“It’s so great seeing you again,” Karla smiles to me. “What? You own a car now?” Karla asks me when we get to the car. “Are you really not planning on going back home?”

“This is home,” I tell her as I push her luggage into the car’s trunk, and shut it.

“No,” Karla shakes her head. “Texas is your home! Whataburger is your home!”

I laugh, “Yes, they are home too, but for now, this is my home.”

“Ok…. Just don’t get too attached, or I will have to forcefully drag you back hom—” Karla falters when I give her a stern look. “Back to Texas.”

I unlock the car and get in and turn on the engine and pull out of the parking lot and into the city, back home.

“Sooo~,” Karla wiggles her finger to me from the passenger seat. “What’s new between you and my brother-in-law?”

I can’t help myself from blushing fiercely. “Yah!!”

“What?” Karla was slightly taken aback from my response. “Did something really happen between you and Mino?”

“No. Wait, what?” I look confused to her. “Why is Mino your brother-in-law?”

“Because mom says so,” Karla grins widely. “So, does that mean that there is someone other than Mino? Ooh! You are a bigger player than me, sis!”

“Stop! That’s not true!” I say in defense. “I’m going to drop you off at the airport if you continue.”

“Tell me, Erika. I know something happened,” Karla continues to tease me.

“Nothing happened,” I stare at her when we arrive at a red light.

“Alright,” Karla crossed her arms. “You may be able to fool yourself, but you are not fooling me.”

I laugh at her and continue on home when my phone begins to ring. I pick up the call and put it on speaker.

“Hello?” I answer.

“Where are you? I’ve been looking for you all over the building!” Mino sounded out of breath.

“I came to pick up my sister from the airport,” Mino and I speak in Korean so Karla is looking at me suspiciously. “Why didn’t you call me or text me before you went looking for me, smarty?”

“Now you tell me?” Mino chuckles. “Are you going to introduce us?”

“No,” I smile.

“What?” Mino sounds perplexed. “Why not? I need to meet my sister-in-law!”

“OPPA!” I exclaim and feel my face turn red.

Mino roars in laughter, “I’m kidding!”

“What did you need me for, oppa?” I ask.

“Oh, I just wanted to bless you with my presence.”

I facepalm myself, “Really, oppa?”

“No, I wanted your opinion on a song I’m working on, that’s all.”

“Will you be in the building tomorrow?”

“Yeah.”

“Then, I’ll see you then.”

“Ok,” Mino said cheerfully. “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

“Yeah!” I smile. “See you tomorrow.”

“Who was that?” Karla askes the second I hang up.

“Your brother-in-law,” I spoke without thinking. “Oh !”

“AH-HA!!!” Karla exclaims. “So, it is true!”

“No, it’s not!” I exclaim too. “All of you need to stop calling him my brother-in-law. Now you have me saying it too.”

Karla chuckles. “But, do you have feelings for him, sis?”

“I adore Mino,” I state. “He was the first friend I made at YG when I arrived. But, I see him more as a brother figure.”

“Friend-zoned, I see,” Karla nods. “And what about the big-nosed one?”

“The ‘big-nosed’ one’s name is JIHO,” I say tightly.

Karla looks at me in surprise, “Dude, like, what is wrong? I was just teasing, you know.”

I feel my eyebrows crease. “You know very well I never liked it when you, mom and dad teased me about him.”

“Sorry, Eri,” Karla apologizes.

“It’s fine. Have you eaten?” I change the subject.

“No,” Karla shakes her head.

“Umm… Do you want Italian?”

“Is it good?”

“It’s exceptional,” I get my phone and look up the restaurant Zico took me to not too long ago.

“English please,” Karla says exasperated.

“I am speaking in English,” I look at her with a raised eyebrow. “It’s not my fault you never had a liking for reading.”

“No,” Karla points her finger at me and smiles. “It’s not my fault that the only books that interest you are the dictionary and thesaurus.”

“They are not,” I laugh. “But they are useful from time to time. Maybe you should leaf through one at least once in your life.”

“Nerd,” Karla laughs.

“Girly girl.”

We arrive at the restaurant thirty minutes later and Karla’s stomach is protesting in anger. We get out of the car and head inside.

“Wow,” Karla muses as she takes a look around. “How do you know a place like this?”

I shrug and follow the host showing us to our table in a back room.

“I didn’t know you had a knack for these types of places, but shouldn’t we be dressed better?”

“Yeah,” I just realized we are not dressed for the place. I was wearing a casual shirt and a pair of jeans with my favorite Converse, and Karla was wearing a hoodie and jeans with tennis shoes.

“But I’ve been meaning to come back here and so what if we are not well dressed?” I justify myself. “We’re still going to pay for our food, are we not?”

“Still classless, Erika,” Karla shakes her head.

“What is that supposed to mean?” I don’t get hurt by simple words, but somehow my sister’s words rubbed me off the wrong way.

“Nothing,” Karla sensed my hostility and backed off.

“This is a nice place, Karla,” I tell her softly even though no one else is around to hear us, let alone understand. “I have a very fond memory of this place. Do not mess it up for me.”

“Ok,” Karla nods. “Erika? Are you really ok?”

I nod, “Just a little stressed.”

“Good evening, ladies,” Our waiter arrives and takes our orders.

We ate and finished our meals with very little talk. I took care of the bill and we headed back to my apartment.

The evening went in a blur and before we knew it Karla and I were tucked into my queen-sized bed face to face in the dim light from the moon coming in through the window.

“Has it been hard?” Karla caresses my cheek. “You’ve lost so much weight.”

I take her hand away from my face. “You know I’ve never been an expressive person, sis,” I smile at her, and hold her hand in mine. “It has been hard, but nothing I could not handle.”

“I know you are strong and independent, but I feel this is taking a toll on you.”

“Maybe it is,” I shrug. “But I knew what I was signing up for when I came here.”

“You rarely called us,” Karla frowned.

“I’m a very busy person,” I smile at her. “And you know how detached I can be.”

“I know,” Karla sighs. “I just wish you weren’t like that. Taking all this load on yourself when you could talk to us—to me.”

“It’s just the person I am, Karla. I can’t change that. And what would talking do?” I counter her. “I still have to do everything, regardless.”

“Eri, since when have you become so emotionless?”

I frown at her question. “I am?”

I sigh heavily, turn on my back and stare up at the ceiling. After a couple of more minutes of mindless conversations with my sister we drift off to sleep.

 

****

We woke up early today and eat breakfast at home. Karla was up before the sun. It reminded me of when I first came to Korea, but I also know she’ll crash by midday. I got ready for my vocal lessons and since I had asked Yang sajangnim if I could take her with me she got ready as if she were going to the red carpet and followed along.

We arrived to the YG building with enough time to warm up. The class went by faster than I expected. Karla even gave it a try, and even though my teacher smiled throughout my sister’s performance, I knew what that smile hid. I also smiled but for a completely different reason. Karla is my sister and I would accept her whatever way she comes, even if she is tone deaf.

We get out of the vocal lessons room and Karla turns to me.

“So, where to now?”

“I have to go meet up with Mino as I promised,” I walk to the stairs.

“Yay! I get to meet my brother-in-law,” Karla’s smile brightens.

“No. We are going to go meet up with MINO,” I correct her. “And you better be in your best behavior.”

“Geez! Who is the older sister again?” Karla’s smile does not diminish. “Eri, must we go up by stairs? I saw an elevator on the other side of the building.”

“Yes,” I state and let out a chuckle. “I didn’t get to go work out today because you took hours with your makeup and wardrobe this morning, so now I have to take the stairs. And I am not going to let you out of my sight.”

Karla only laughs and continues up the stairs. I start to jog up the stairs and I instantly hear her protest.

“Erika! Wait for me!” Karla yells after me. “You know how much I hate exercising! Plus, if I sweat my mascara and eyeliner will smudge and make me look like a raccoon!”

“Just keep up without whining, will you?” I slow my pace and follow hers. “And remember I told you not to put on make-up?”

“It’s not my fault you are more athletic than me, and that I like to make good first impressions,” Karla laughs.

“Oh, come on,” I egg her on. “Three more flights of stairs.”

“What?” Karla shrieks.

“It’s not that much longer. Come one, you can do it!” I grab Karla by the arm and haul her along with me at a faster pace.

By the time we get to the third floor she was huffing and puffing. I roll my eyes and smile as I see her haunch over the veranda, trying to catch her breath. A slight sweat was breaking up on her upper lip. She dabs at it with the back of my shirt cautiously, not wanting to smear her lipstick, and stained the bottom of my grey shirt.

“Come on, Karla,” I nudge at her ribs, not worrying about my shirt. “Only a few steps to the studio.”

“You’re going to pay for this, Erika,” Karla gins at me and straightens up and follows me to Mino’s studio.

I can faintly feel the base of the speakers buzz the door as I push it open slightly, before the sound blasts past the open door. I knock on the open door as I am peaking to catch Mino’s attention. He turns around when he realizes the door is open and turns off the music.

He meets my eye and a bright grin spreads on his face, “Erika, you’re here! Come in.”

I walk past the open door and get a full view of the room. Mino is not the only one in the room. He is accompanied by three other guys: a YG producer, Bobby and Zico.

“Annyeong haseyo,” I bow to the producer.

“Oh!” Mino approaches Karla and I. “Is this your sister, Erika?”

“Ah! Yes,” I shift a bit in my feet. “This is Karla, my older sister. Karla, this is Mino.”

“Nice to finally meet you,” Karla gives Mino her dazzling smile that I always wished I had.

“Nice to meet you, too,” Mino responds in English and smiles politely back at Karla.

I turn to the producer and introduce him and Karla. Bobby gets up from his chair and shyly approaches me and shakes Karla’s hand in greeting and goes back to sit in his chair.

I then turn to Zico, “Hello, oppa,” I greet him first. “Karla, meet Zico. Zico oppa, this is my older sister, Karla,” I look down at my feet after introducing them.

“So, you are the famous Zico, huh?” Karla approaches him and extends her hand.

“Nice to meet you,” Zico takes Karla’s hand and shakes it. He then turns his attention away from us.

“Erika,” Mino calls me back to my senses. “Would you like to listen to the song I’m working on?”

I nod my head and sit on the couch against the wall with my elbows on my knees and my face on my joined hands, looking at the floor, and Karla leans on the center counter in front of me. Mino begins to play the track and I can’t help but lightly tap my foot to the beat. I slowly begin to nod my head too. I lift my face to look up at my sister’s face and I immediately lose my concentration.

Karla has her arms crossed with a grimace on her face, staring at me as if I lost my mind. Out of the corner of my eye I see Mino, Bobby and Zico intent in my sister. I hang my head again swallow a lump that is growing in my throat. Without thinking I get up from the couch and walk out of the room. As I walk out of the room I hear Mino turn off the music and ask if something was wrong but I don’t turn back and continue to the secluded staircase with my head hung. I open the door to the stairway and lean against the banister and take a deep breath.

Out of nowhere I began to have a very foul feeling. Calm down, Erika, I tell myself. She is your sister. You should be glad she came to visit you from so far away. I know my sister doesn’t like Hip Hop at all, but I just wish she would be a little more open minded. I am not a Hip Hop fan either, but I really enjoy Mino’s music and her reaction struck me the wrong way, mainly because I feel like she cannot accept the life I have here in Korea. I hoped she would see that I truly am happy here.

Just then the door to the stairway opened and I turn to find myself a couple of feet from Zico.

“Is everything ok?” He asks, concern in his voice.

I nod and look away, “Yeah, I’ll be fine. I just need some air.”

“Erika,” Zico begins. “I’ll understand if it is awkward for you….”

I turn around, “Oppa,” I smile up at Zico taking him aback. “What are you taking about?”

“Uuhhh…,” Zico rubs the back of his head. “About… uuhhh….”

I chuckle as his cheeks get a lovely shade of pink. “I will only feel awkward if you feel awkward. Let’s just pretend that I was too drunk to remember.”

“Really?” Zico asks skeptically.

“Like I told you then,” I smile. “I don’t expect anything in return.”

“Then what has you like this?” Zico asks again.

My smile drops and I turn away from Zico and shake my head. “It’s nothing, really….”

Zico doesn’t say anything for a minute. He then leans his back against the banister and stares at the door.

“You know I have an older brother?” Zico speaks softly.

I look at him as if he is going crazy.

“There is no reason why you should feel less valuable than her,” he turns to look at me. “The inferior complex does not suit you.”

I gape at him, speechless. “I’m sorry, what?”

Zico chuckles and turns halfway towards me, “I can see in your eyes that you feel that she is more beautiful than you. That she is much greater than you,” Zico smiles. “I once saw the same expression in my eyes, when I was younger.”

I stare at him.

Zico places a hand on my shoulder, “It’s good to respect and admire your older sister, but don’t put her so high of a pedestal that you will feel inferior to her,” He gives me an encouraging smile. “If my opinion matters at all, I think you are prettier that her.”

I gape at Zico as his cheeks turn redder and he quickly goes back to the studio room. I take a deep breath and let it out in a muffled laugh. Well, I think to myself. At least he helped me lift up my spirit.

I walk back to the recording studio and as soon as I walk in Mino and Bobby look my way.

Mino gets up and approaches me, “Are you ok?”

“I’m good,” I smile at him and rub his arm in reassurance. “Can I give your track another listen?”

Mino smiles back at me and goes back to the desk and I move back to my spot in the couch. This time Karla is sitting beside me. Mino plays his track again. I bob my head to the rhythm and pay close attention to his diction and take mental notes. The track ended and everyone waited for my verdict.

“Mmm…,” I stall for a second. “Catchy bridge, mmm…. Good pronunciation. Mmm… I would tell you that I didn’t really like the ending, but that would be a big lie. It was hype. I always look for mellow parts in songs, and I liked that you had some variation of it.”

“Ohh…,” Bobby teases me. “You’ve been talking too much with Yang sajangnim, haven’t you?”

The room rang with the guys’ and my laughter. I turn to look at my sister and see that she is intently staring at me in surprise. I give her a questioning look and she only shakes her head and smiles. I get up from the couch and motion for my sister to do the same.

“Well, we have to leave,” I tell the group. “I need to spend some quality time with my sister and show her around the city.”

“You’re leaving so soon?” Mino protests.

I smile at him and move to him and give him a hug, “Yes, but I’ll be back tomorrow.”

I side hug Bobby and shake the producer’s hand.

I move to Zico’s side and I smile at him, “Thank you.”

To my surprise he hugs me and whispers in my ear, “I hope next time we meet the Erika I got to know returns. Don’t be so insecure about yourself. It doesn’t suit you.”

I chuckle and let go of him and walk back to my sister, “Let’s go.”

I take Karla’s hand in mine and we walk to the elevator. I push the button to the level ground.

“What happened earlier?” Karla peeks at me.

I look at her and I smile, “I was just overthinking foolish things.”

“Like what?” Karla pressures on.

“Nothing that matters,” I pull her along with me when the elevator door opens.

We walk out of the building and I lead us to the car. As soon as we get in I look up the address to a place I am sure Karla would love. I set up the GPS and head out in route. It takes us about an hour to get to Myeong-dong because of the traffic. I park the car several blocks away from the main, busy streets. My sister and I get off the car and walk towards the shopping area.

“What is this?” Karla automatically asks me.

“A shopping district special for those who love shopping for shoppers like you,” I smile brightly at her.

“Oh my gawd! This is awesome!” Karla brightens up. “I love you, sis!”

“I know,” I smile and drag her into the nearest clothing store.

“But, you hate shopping,” Karla mellows down.

“Yes, but today I will try to be patient and wait for you to shop till your heart’s content,” I assure her.

“You’re the best, Eri!” Karla smiles widely and disappears into the store.

The rest of the day consisted of Karla dragging me from store to store; Karla mumbling about not finding shoes in her size; Karla handing me ten bags full of clothes and accessories to buy and carry for her. After my wallet started to look slim and pitiful I decided it was time to drag my sister from the store and to the food stand to try some snacks. Since my sister is a very picky eater I picked out some thing that she might enjoy, like tornado potatoes, with and without the sausage, and the pan-fried dumplings. Though, I was disappointed when she didn’t like the sweet Korean pancake and the fish cakes. After we both got tired of walking, I took Karla to an ice cream shop.

“I was surprised, today,” Karla began to say.

“About?” I asked absentmindedly.

“You,” Karla smiled up at me. “I haven’t seen you really laugh for a long time.”

I stare at her, “I… I’m happy here.”

“I can tell,” Karla’s expression saddened by a decibel. “I just wish you could be this happy at home too.”

“Karla…,” I sigh.

“You know what I mean, Erika,” Karla looked at me sternly. “Mom and Dad have been very worried about you for so long. It’s like you weren’t even there for a long time. And seeing you smile and laugh and the way that you care for your friends as they care for you, it’s nice. At least I can go back and tell Mom and Dad that you have found a bit of your old jolly self,” Karla chuckled.

“I didn’t know they felt that way,” I said thoughtfully.

“I don’t know what happened your senior year, but ever since then it’s like you were just surviving and not really living,” Karla took a spoon of her ice cream. “Eri, I’m afraid that it will destroy you once you have to go back.”

I stay silent.

“But, anyway!” Karla changes the subject. “Eri, are you sure there is nothing going with you and…?”

“Me and…?” I asked in confusion.

“Mr. Z,” Karla whispered.

“Oh!” I laugh. “No, nothing. We’re just friends.”

“Really?” Karla raised an eyebrow. “That’s not what it looked like earlier.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“I mean,” Karla emphasized. “The way that he rushed out the room after you left. And then when we were leaving, him whispering in your ear. That gave me a different vibe that ‘just friends’.”

“He rushed after me?” I asked slightly surprised. “Maybe you misinterpreted it.”

“No,” Karla spoke with conviction. “I know what I saw, and he literally rushed after you.”

I couldn’t help but blush.

“Erika,” Karla pried further. “There’s something you’re not telling me, right?”

“Trust me, Karla,” I told her. “There is nothing.”

“Really?” Karla smiles mischievously. “Because, if you plan on making him my brother-in-law, I approve.”

“Ya!” I hit her playfully. “Don’t say that! I might just be tempted,” I laugh with her.

And, so we rested for a bit before we headed back home.

As soon as we arrived home, Karla was so exhausted she crashed on my bed. I tugged the covers over her. I got a cover and a pillow for myself and made my bed on the sofa. I got my phone out and scrolled mindlessly through the news and when I got a call from my parents. I answered and told them everything my sister and I did together, and I listened to them as they told me to take care of my sister and to be nice to each other. I hung up the call after we said our goodbyes.

I open the messenger app.

To Beggar-co
Hello, oppa!
My sister told me about your heroic action today. Kekeke!

From Beggar-co
Hey!
Oh yeah? And may I ask what that heroic action was?

To Beggar-co
You saved a damsel in distress.

From Beggar-co
Really? I don’t remember saving any damsel
Though, I do remember speaking some sense into a crybaby
Kekekeke!

To Beggar-co
Oppa! I’m not a crybaby… T.T

From Beggar-co
If you say so…. Kekeke!
Did you have fun today with your sister?

To Beggar-co
Yeah! I took her to Myeong-dong.
She loves shopping.

From Beggar-co
That’s nice

To Beggar-co
My sister also told me that she liked you….
But, that’s only because she doesn’t know you

From Beggar-co
Yah! I’m a really likable person, believe it or not.
Too bad you don’t like me…. I could have given you a signed photograph.

To Beggar-co
Heol!!
I can’t believe you just said that….
As a matter of a fact, I will pretend I didn’t just read that….
Hehehe!

From Beggar-co
So will I….
I never said anything like that….

To Beggar-co
Alright, I’m going to let you go before you embarrass yourself again.
Good night, Oppa!

From Beggar-co
Good Night!
Sweet dreams!

 

With that, I let my phone on the coffee table and turned in the couch and fell fast asleep with a smile on my face.

 

____________________________________

Oh! My Gosh!!! It took me so long to write this chapter. I spent almost two months writing and rewriting it, I almost gave up....

I'm really sorry to make you wait, but here is this for y'all!

Enjoy!!!!

 

I would also lke to Welcome my new subscribers!!!!

                                    MyLabsJericTeng_16                            Fanxychild9244                                 

                              sei_via                   matsujean47                  mililove13                 hannahjoma                

                                 arellaw                                   Skulls                         

Maiaradasilvaa                   DionnaJanae16                        Via099TOP