Chapter 9

Seconds To Breathe

The place was loud. Baekhyun was feeling uncomfortable with the shouting and music from the games. Jongin was saying something, but his voice was overpowered by everything else.

"What did you say?" Chanyeol yelled.

"I said! Jongdae is over there!" Jongin pointed to a guy at the other side of the arcade.

They went to meet Jongdae, who was playing aggressively on a game.

"Jongdae!" Jongin smacked Jongdae's back.

"Don't disturb me!" Jongdae screamed.

It was much quieter here, Baekhyun thought. He looked around for a place to sit. He was sure the boys are going to stay here for a long time. He sat down beside a game that has a motorcycle on it. Kyungsoo saw him and joined him.

"Don't like it here?" He asked the older.

"Never been used to this kind of loud noise," Baekhyun shook his head slowly.

"Last year, all of us came. We were regulars. But ever since Yifan hyung and Zitao's situation, we never came. But Jongdae is the only one still hanging out here," Kyungsoo said, smiling to himself about the memories.

"I'm sure we can all hang out again," Baekhyun said.

"Yeah! Thanks to you! Everything is resolved. I can't wait to see everyone's reaction to Yifan hyung and Zitao!" Kyungsoo exclaimed.

From afar, Chanyeol watched the two chatting and laughing together. He had to admit that he felt jealous. He wants to replace Kyungsoo and be the one Baekhyun love talking to. But they only met for a few days, and the two of them are best friends for life. He is not of status to be close with Baekhyun yet.

"Hey hyung!" Chanyeol did not realised Jongdae and Jongin were calling out for him.

"Chanyeol!" Jongin snapped his fingers in front of him.

"Huh? What?" Chanyeol looked back at them.

"Stop staring at your future boyfriend and compete with us!" Jongin said.

Chanyeol looked at the screen. Car racing again.

"Seriously?" Chanyeol asked.

"Come on, just play with us," Jongdae pushed Chanyeol into an empty seat and the three of them started their race.

"Look at them, reminds me of last year," Kyungsoo told Baekhyun.

"It makes me happy to see them enjoying themselves," Baekhyun agreed.

They watched the three boys screaming and turning their wheels rapidly. Jongdae was the one screaming like a girl whenever someone overtook him. Chanyeol was laughing really deeply. And Jongin was calmly steering his own car.

"Who do you think will win?" Kyungsoo asked.

"What do you think?" Baekhyun asked instead.

"Jongin," Kyungsoo said.

"Why is that so?" 

"I've watched them played for so long. I know their styles. Jongdae seems to be a professional, but he is always the 2nd or 3rd. For Chanyeol, he can't even steer the car properly. So Jongin overtakes him."

"Then who is the best among the clique?"

Kyungsoo paused to think,"Joonmyun hyung."

"What? That is so unexpected!" 

"I know right? Joonmyun hyung may seem like someone who only studies, he is actually a pro gamer. Even Jongin can't beat him in the race!"

"I would like to see him in action. I've only seen his one side."

"I'm sure you will."

"Damn it!" Jongdae cursed. The game was over.

"I won again!" Jongin cheered.

"That was fun," Chanyeol laughed.

"Another round?" Jongin asked the two.

"No! I don't wanna lose again!" Jongdae pouted.

"I'll play!" Chanyeol said.

"How about you, Baek? Wanna try?" Kyungsoo asked Baekhyun.

"No..I...I don't know how," Baekhyun said.

"It's okay. Chanyeol can teach you," Jongin smirked.

"Yah! Stop it!" Chanyeol yelled.

"It's near dinner time, shall we go eat?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Why are you helping Chanyeol get out of this, soo?" Jongdae asked.

"Guys, seriously," Chanyeol said.

"Let's go," Baekhyun said.

"Where are we eating?" Jongin asked.

"Just nearby. Or maybe I can cook something for all of us," Kyungsoo suggested.

"Can we hold a party?" Jongdae asked.

"A party for what?" Chanyeol asked.

"For Baekhyun hyung! Since he just joined our clique!" Jongdae said.

"You don't have to, Jongdae," Baekhyun shook his head.

"We have to! Come on, we'll do it in BaekYeol's dorm! I'll invite everyone!" Jongdae got ready his phone.

Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo, who was giving the 'i don't know how to help you' look. And he looked at Chanyeol, who seems to be mentally calculating the mess the party would create.

-

That night, the dorm was lively. Everyone were there, but of course not Yifan and Zitao. The boys are still leaving them out. Baekhyun stood by the balcony, staring at everyone else having fun. Kyungsoo was with Jongin because Jongin can't leave him alone. Chanyeol was with Joonmyun and Jongdae, drinking juice. Sehun, Luhan, Yixing Minseok were at the TV, watching a romance drama. Tonight, Baekhyun want to be alone out at the balcony. Even though he is the main for tonight's party. The loudest here was Jongdae. Baekhyun stared up at the sky. It was decorated with millions of stars. They will be brightening up the Earth tonight. 

"Hyung?" 

Baekhyun turned back to see Chanyeol approaching.

"Oh, hey Chanyeol," Baekhyun said.

"Why are you out here alone?" Chanyeol asked.

"I already told you, I don't like loud places. I thought you understand," Baekhyun said. His tone was angry, but he didn't mean to.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine. I'm sorry too."

They stood in silence. The music and noises of the party did not distract their time alone. Baekhyun felt his vision blurring. He closed his eyes and tried to steady his breath.

"Baek?" 

Baekhyun opened his eyes again and looked up at Chanyeol.

"Do you still remember Jongin always trying to set me up?" Chanyeol asked, unaware of Baekhyun's condition.

"Ye..yeah," Baekhyun replied despite his slight dizziness.

"They are teasing me because..." Chanyeol stopped.

Baekhyun internally wished Chanyeol would finish talking and get straight to the point before he faints, maybe.

"Because I actually like you," Chanyeol continued. 

Just at that moment, Baekhyun ran away from the balcony and straight into the bedroom. Chanyeol stared back at the other. Everyone else also stopped to see what happened. There was a loud slam of the door and all they know was Baekhyun locked himself in the room.

"What happened?" Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun stumbled to his bed and sat there. He held his head. It came back again. He looked over to his bed side table and pulled the drawer. He took out the small round pill and took it with water. He sat there, waiting for the dizziness to go away. 

"Baekhyun! Open the door!" 

"Baek? Are you okay?"

"What happened to him?"

"Chanyeol what did you do?"

Many many loud voices outside the door. Baekhyun hugged his legs tighter. 

"Do you have any idea what's with him?" Yixing's voice.

"I...I don't know..." Chanyeol's.

"Are we breaking the door down?" Jongin's.

"No! Are you insane?" Kyungsoo's.

"Come on, we can't leave him alone like this!" Jongin yelled.

"Baekhyun!!" Kyungsoo cried.

"Maybe he just need time alone," Joonmyun said.