Chapter 10

Seconds To Breathe

Baekhyun listened to their conversation. He felt better after taking the medication. He thought that the hypotension was gone, but it was back again. Since he was 12, he got it. But it didn't happen to him when he was 15. Now, it's back again. And Baekhyun was scared. He does not want them to know about this. He stood up slowly, ensuring that he would not get dizzy again. He then went over to the door and opened it. Everyone were crowded at the door.

"Baekhyun!"

"Hyung!"

Baekhyun's eyes only fell on Chanyeol's. Chanyeol's eyes were filled with worry. 

"What's wrong?" Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun didn't say a word, but he looked over at Kyungsoo, sending a message through their eyes.

"Okay guys," Kyungsoo said after getting the message,"Let's all give Baekhyun a rest. Let's stop the party. Chanyeol, Jongin, go clean everything up. I'll talk to Baekhyun," Kyungsoo told everyone.

Everyone reluctantly went away, saying goodbyes and 'feel better soon' to Baekhyun. Chanyeol and Jongin listened and went to clean up the dorm. Baekhyun pulled Kyungsoo back into the room.

"What happened?" Kyungsoo asked him. Baekhyun sat back at the bed.

"You remember when I was 12?" Baekhyun asked.

"Wait...your hypotension?" Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun nodded.

"How do you feel?" 

"I was dizzy at the balcony. Just when Chanyeol was confessing his love for me. But I'm fine now."

"Wow that's a coincidence."

"I'm scared, soo. What if I faint during the performance?" 

"Don't be ridiculous!" Kyungsoo hugged Baekhyun. "You'll be alright."

-

That night, Chanyeol came in the bedroom and saw Baekhyun asleep. Kyungsoo had gone off and told Chanyeol that he is alright. Chanyeol wanted to ask Baekhyun what's going on. But he doesn't want to increase his stress. He just went to his own bed and slept. He decided not to question him about anything that happened tonight.

-

The next day, the boys who went to their dorm that night were still worrying over Baekhyun. Joonmyun and Sehun gathered around Baekhyun and Chanyeol's desk.

"I'm alright," Baekhyun told them.

"Really?" Sehun asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"So are you two ready for the Music Festival?" Joonmyun asked.

"We are," Chanyeol said and patted his guitar.

"Great," Joonmyun smiled.

"Can you ensure that the whole clique will be present? Preferably sitting together?" Chanyeol asked.

"Yeah, sure. I'll text everyone," Joonmyun nodded.

"I can't wait," Baekhyun smiled nervously.

"Me too!" Chanyeol said.

"Okay class! Attention!" Mrs Ahn said.

Everyone scrambled back to their own seats.

"The Music Festival starts today afternoon, 6:30pm sharp. The MC will be Hong Jin from the VCMD department. Performers can ask him for the performance list so as to know when is your performance. If you could not find him, feel free to approach any supporting teachers around the stage. Every helpers and performers are to be there by 5:30pm to prepare everything," Mrs Ahn said.

-

Class was finally over for that day. People were seen streaming into the Hall. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sehun and Joonmyun were all too, joining the crowd.

"Be careful okay? Baek?" Chanyeol told him.

That reminded Baekhyun about his switched role. He can't do it now that he knew he had hypotension.

"Chanyeol..do you mind if we switch back?" He asked.

"You changed your mind?" Chanyeol asked.

"I...yeah.." Baekhyun mumbled.

"Sure I'll switch. I wouldn't want you to get hurt," Chanyeol smiled.

"Thanks."

In the Hall, it was filled with many helpers and performers. Mrs Ahn was busy arranging everyone.

"Helpers please go to your designated places! Performers who are not helpers, please gather backstage!" Mrs Ahn said through the microphone.

There was again, people running about. The four boys went to their own places. Baekhyun and Chanyeol again told Mrs Ahn about the new arrangement. Baekhyun went to the instrument room with Sehun and some other students from other departments. They used the list to determine which instruments are needed. Four strong students carried the piano to the Hall. Baekhyun, Sehun and another girl carried saxophones and guitars. The rest carried microphones. Chanyeol was at the stage, he saw Yifan and was indecisive about what to do. Greet him? Or ignore him?

"Hey," Yifan got to him first.

"Hey hyung. Long time," Chanyeol smiled softly.

"Can't believe you look thinner than before. What have you been doing? Is Baekhyun driving you crazy?" Yifan laughed.

"Nah, he is okay," Chanyeol said.

"Why did you choose this role? Aren't you like...scared?" Yifan asked.

"It's gonna be okay," Chanyeol said hopefully.

"I really wonder why this school does not make the lights fixed up there. Why must there be a routine of putting them up and getting them down again?" Yifan asked.

"Maybe to save the electricity bills," Chanyeol said 

"Doesn't make sense to me," Yifan frowned. Chanyeol nodded in agreement.

"Come on boys! Move it!" Joonmyun said.

"Joonmyun!" Yifan exclaimed.

"Yifan hyung! How are you?" Joonmyun asked.

Chanyeol decided to leave them alone. He went backstage, hoping to skip the job and reduce the chance of hitting someone again. He do have a reason anyways. 

"Chanyeol?" Baekhyun found him wandering.

"Hi Baek!" Chanyeol smiled at him.

"Aren't you helping out?"

"I'm scared."

"Well, can't blame you," Baekhyun laughed.

"Baekhyun hyung! Some help here!" Sehun shouted and waved to get his attention.

"Coming!" Baekhyun shouted back.

"I'll help you guys," Chanyeol said while following Baekhyun.

"Won't Mrs Ahn question us?"  Baekhyun asked.

"Nah. Just do our thing," Chanyeol shook his head.