Chapter 8

Seconds To Breathe

The next morning, Baekhyun received a text from Zitao saying that the talk went successful. Both Zitao and Yifan were finally back together. He decided to only tell the rest on the day of the Music Festival.

"Do you know that Yifan hyung actually sings?" Chanyeol asked him.

"He does?" Baekhyun's eyes widened.

"Yeah! It was a shock at first. But when we heard him sing, we were awed. I even composed a song for him once." 

"Amazing!"

"So tomorrow is the Music Festival. Ready for our last rehearsal?"

"Yeah. I'm excited."

"Great," Chanyeol smiled.

"I told Mrs Ahn that I want to switch roles with you."

Chanyeol froze, "What?"

"You'll be moving instruments. I'll be fixing the lights. I wouldn't want your trauma to take over you," Baekhyun tried to explained.

"Baek! That is a dangerous job! What if you fall? I'm responsible for you!" 

"Pardon? Responsible for me?" Baekhyun smiled.

"You're my roommate!" Chanyeol said quickly, avoiding his gaze.

"Don't worry. I'll be fine. I can take care of myself. You just have to move the instruments."

"But Baek!"

"No buts, Chanyeol. My decision is final."

-

During class, Mrs Ahn gave briefings to the class about the Music Festival. Everyone were excited and nervous.

"So as all of you know. The Music Festival is tomorrow. Performers please do have your last practice before the day. As for the helpers, there will be a switch of roles. Baekhyun and Chanyeol would be switching roles so make sure everyone know this. Tomorrow, Joonmyun will be taking down the attendance of the performers and helpers. So I expect everyone to be present. No skipping of class whatsoever. Is that understood?" 

"Yes Mrs Ahn!"

"I can't wait for the show!" Chanyeol exclaimed.

"Hope I don't mess up tomorrow," Baekhyun said, "Do you think anyone will support us?"

"There will! We have our friends! They will support us!"

"By friends, you don't only mean Kyungsoo and Jongin, do you?" 

"Jongdae, Joonmyun, Minseok, Sehun," Chanyeol went on and on. But Baekhyun noticed that he left out Zitao and Yifan.

"How about Zitao and Yifan?" Baekhyun asked.

"I don't think they would be willing to come. I know how they both will be."

"I trust them, Chanyeol. They will make it."

"Why do you sound so determined?"

"Well..This is a big festival. I bet the whole school will be present. Even if the both of them sat at either ends."

"True," Chanyeol nodded, "I hope Jongdae brings his camera too. I want our performance to be recorded!"

"What for?"

"Future purposes. This is to mark our first collaboration!" Chanyeol smiled.

"Chanyeol, we still have a long time."

-

After school, Kyungsoo and Jongin went over to the Music room to watch BaekYeol prepare.

"I heard Sehun is joining. Is that true?" Jongin asked them.

"Nope, he isn't. Where did you hear that rumour from?" Chanyeol asked.

"The girls who goes gaga over Sehun," Jongin snickered.

"I bet he would anticipate Luhan hyung to watch him," Kyungsoo joked.

"Hey, are we practising, Chanyeol?" Baekhyun called out for the tallest in the room.

"Oh yes! Sorry!" Chanyeol went back to his guitar.

"Don't leave your bo-" Jongin said but Kyungsoo elbowed him.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked at them.

"You heard nothing," Kyungsoo said.

"Ignore them, let's practise," Chanyeol cleared his throat to get Baekhyun's attention.

"Just be quiet won't you?" Kyungsoo was silently lecturing Jongin who almost spilled the beans.

"Sorry, soo," Jongin said.

Chanyeol started strumming his guitar and Baekhyun waited for his turn. The both of them soon was playing their instruments and Baekhyun sang first. For 4 minutes or so, the Music room was filled with the beautiful song.

"I think the both of you could get the award," Kyungsoo said.

"There's no awards this time, soo," Chanyeol told him.

"No awards? Why?" Jongin asked.

"I don't know. The school stopped it," Chanyeol said.

"But do you have one before, Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asked.

"I do, kept it below the TV," Chanyeol said.

"I want to see it some day," Baekhyun chirped.

"You guys want to hang out? Relieve some stress about the festival," Jongin suggested.

"To where?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Jongdae just sent me a text. He wants us to go to meet him at the arcade," Jongin said.

"Including me?" Baekhyun asked.

"I don't know. I guess you could tag along," Jongin said.

"Then let's go together!" Chanyeol exclaimed.

"I don't really go to the arcade," Baekhyun said.

"There are loads of other stuffs you can do. And Chanyeol hyung can bring you to walk around this neighbourhood," Jongin smiled cheekily.

"Yah! Can you stop that?" Chanyeol growled.

Jongin laughed and Kyungsoo smacked his leg.

"Hey!" Jongin yelped.

"Okay guys, let's go," Baekhyun stood up from the chair and went over to Kyungsoo.

"I'll tell Jongdae we are coming," Jongin said and typed some words on his phone.

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun whispering more secrets into Kyungsoo's curious ears. He was beginning to question.

"When are you two gonna tell me about the secret?" He asked them.

"Not now hyung," Kyungsoo smirked.

"You'll know soon," Baekhyun joined in.

Chanyeol frowned.

"Come on, let's go! I'll lead the way!" Jongin said excitedly. 

The three happy ducklings followed their mama duck to the arcade.