Chapter 5

Seconds To Breathe

The next morning, Chanyeol's alarm clock rang noisily. Chanyeol groaned and stretched, turning over to the other side, hoping to catch a glimpse of Baekhyun. But no. He wasn't there. Chanyeol sat up, looking around. Baekhyun wasn't in the bedroom. His bed was already tidied up. Chanyeol turned off the annoying alarm clock and went out. No sign of Baekhyun anywhere. Only breakfast on the table. He went over and saw a note.

"Chanyeol, I have to go somewhere. I will be back before dinner. I'm afraid that you have to deal with lunch yourself. Please accept the breakfast as my apology. I'll be back soon. Baekhyun."

Chanyeol frowned. Go somewhere so early in the morning? He sat down on the chair and stared at the scrumptious pancakes. He his lips and dug in.

-

After the wonderful breakfast, Chanyeol went over to KaiSoo's dorm. He knocked on the door and waited. There were a lot of noises, Chanyeol does not know if they are having a party. The door soon opened, it was Jongin. Music was blasting even louder.

"Oh! Hyung!" Jongin grinned.

"Can I come in?" Chanyeol asked.

"Sure!" Jongin let him in, closing the door after Chanyeol entered.

"Hey hyung," Kyungsoo greeted him.

"What brings you here?" Jongin asked.

"I'm alone at the dorm so I came," Chanyeol explained.

"Where's Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Who knows?" Chanyeol sighed.

"Was he acting strange last night?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Yes, he was upset about something after I asked him if reality was cruel to him," Chanyeol said.

"Fragile guy," Jongin joked.

"I think I know where he is," Kyungsoo said.

"Where?" Chanyeol asked.

"But I can't tell you. I promised him," Kyungsoo said.

"Tell me please? I'm his roommate, I want to know." Chanyeol asked.

Kyungsoo sighed, "Many years ago.."

-

Baekhyun slowly picked up the fallen spoon. His father is raging again.

"What did I tell you? I told you not to transfer to that damn school!" His father yelled at him.

"I didn't mean to, dad. But this old folks' home is really too far from my previous school," Baekhyun explained.

"So are you telling me that it is my fault?" Everyone were already staring at them and Baekhyun couldn't help but to fell embarrassed.

"No, dad!"

"You bastard. If it wasn't because of you, I wouldn't be here! I wouldn't be eating disgusting food and dressed in old clothes! I would have been living a better life! A better life without you in it to spoil anything!" 

There he goes again, blaming Baekhyun for everything that happened. At the back of Baekhyun's mind, he wanted lash out on him, saying that it was his own problem. But he can't, he can't do that to his own father.

"You always ruin my perfect moments. And you even sent me to this darn place! I wish you were never my son!" 

Tears started to form in Baekhyun's eyes. He put the bowl of porridge away, fearing that his tears will mix in with the food.

"Get out of my face, Byun Baekhyun." His father said seriously. Baekhyun stood up and went back to the kitchen. One of the staffs, Mdm Choi, was there.

"Your father again?" She asked him.

"Yes..." Baekhyun sighed.

"You should go to work now, leave your father to us," Mdm Choi said after glancing at the wall clock.

"But that isn't what I should be doing. I shouldn't leave him alone," Baekhyun protested.

"You have to go to work, Baekhyun. Your father will be fine. It is just one of the days where he is angry at you."

"Okay...Thank you Mdm Choi, I'll leave now."

Baekhyun left the old folks' home and past by the school. As he walked, he stared at the rows and rows of dormitories. He wondered how Chanyeol is doing.

-

"I thought it would be nice if the four of us hung out. But I never realised Baekhyun is that pitiful," Chanyeol widened his eyes.

"Don't ever use that word to Baekhyun. He doesn't want me to tell you guys about his background story. He only wants to be someone who is cheerful, happy, and not being pitied," Kyungsoo said.

"So I can't ask him about it?" Chanyeol asked.

"Never ever do that. I'm only telling you his secret because you are his roommate and you like him. But never tell him anything. Act normal. Cook dinner tonight for him, okay?"

"WHAT?" Chanyeol almost jumped off the sofa.

"Why? Baekhyun hyung doesn't trust your culinary skills?" Jongin teased and laughed.

"Well...The two of us already agreed that he will be cooking. Never will I touch the kitchen, nor cook anything," Chanyeol frowned.

"He must have heard how you almost poisoned all of us," Jongin laughed.

"Don't worry hyung, I'll help you cook too," Kyungsoo assured.

"Baekhyun hyung would certainly notice it is Kyungsoo's cooking," Jongin said.

"But what can I do? I can't cook!" Chanyeol said.

"Don't listen to him, I'll help you," Kyungsoo put his hand on Chanyeol's shoulder in an attempt to calm him.

-

That afternoon, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol went back to BaekYeol's dorm. It was uncomfortably quiet. Kyungsoo clapped and looked around.

"Your dorm is dark," he said, frowning.

"We didn't have the interest to decorate it," Chanyeol sighed.

"It's okay! Let's get to work!" Kyungsoo skipped to the kitchen.

Chanyeol watched Kyungsoo scanning through their small and almost empty fridge. He heard his occasional humming.

"So...." Chanyeol cleared his throat.

"I see you guys only have kimchi, pancake and cup noodles. When is the last time you went to the market?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Um....4 weeks ago?" Chanyeol said, feeling embarrassed.

"The both of you can starve to death!" Kyungsoo yelled.

"We don't have time," Chanyeol said.

"Let's go groceries shopping!" Kyungsoo pulled Chanyeol along.