Chapter 13

Seconds To Breathe

"Then Yixing hyung showed you his unicorn collection?" Chanyeol asked.

"Yeah. He told me that Joonmyun hyung bought him one too," Baekhyun walked in the bedroom.

Chanyeol followed him. Baekhyun was arranging his books on his desk.

"So what's your plan for this winter break?" Chanyeol asked.

"Nothing...Just going to work and...take care of my father," Baekhyun said.

"Can I work with you?" Chanyeol asked.

"You must be kidding," Baekhyun faked a laugh.

"But I'll be bored. We can work together."

"Zitao is there, so I'll be fine."

"Zitao?"

"Yeah."

"All the more I have to be there!"

"Why?"

"Because Zitao will eat you up!"

"Chanyeol, don't be childish."

"Don't you know he loves children?"

"And so?"

"You are one." There was a minute of silence and Chanyeol burst out laughing. Baekhyun frowned and got up to leave him.

"I'm sorry!" Chanyeol called after him.

Baekhyun put on his shoes and went out of the dorm. Chanyeol mentally blamed himself for chasing him away.

-

Chanyeol soon learned that Baekhyun went to KaiSoo's dorm that afternoon and he wanted to go see him. But he does not want KaiSoo to nag at him again for being a bad roommate. He just went back to the bedroom and sat down on his bed. He picked up his guitar and started strumming some notes.

-

"Hear that?" Jongin asked the two on the sofa.

"Chanyeol is upset," Kyungsoo told Baekhyun.

Both of the dorms were just separated by a wall. The faint sound of Chanyeol's guitar could be heard. Baekhyun felt guilty to storm out of the house but he do have a reason, don't he?

"Are you seriously getting angry at how Chanyeol hyung said you are a child?" Jongin asked.

"It isn't kind of him," Baekhyun frowned.

"But you know he was joking right? The whole point of this was that he wanted to work with you. And what does this show?" Kyungsoo asked.

"That he is childish?" Baekhyun asked.

"No!" Kyungsoo shrieked, "He wants to be with you, he loves you. He is willing to stay with you!"

"Can't you see that he loves you a lot?" Jongin asked.

"Well...I do...but..." Baekhyun mumbled.

"Do you love him back?" Jongin asked.

Baekhyun doesn't know. He doesn't know his feelings. He never got the feelings yet. His heart does not beat fast, nor does he blush whenever Chanyeol is close to him. 

"I don't have the feelings just yet. I don't want to disappoint him," Baekhyun said.

"It takes time, hyung," Kyungsoo said.

"We still have a year left, I'm sure...he'll wait for me..." Baekhyun looked at them both.

"I'm sure too," Kyungsoo nodded.

-

The next day, KaiSoo went to BaekYeol's dorm. 

"I had a plan for this winter break," Jongin told them.

"Which is?" Chanyeol asked.

"Let's all go skiing!" Kyungsoo clapped.

"Skiing?" Baekhyun asked, "But I don't know how!"

"Don't worry hyung, Chanyeol will teach you," Jongin said. Instead of complaining, Chanyeol just sighed heavily.

"Chanyeol knows how to ski?" Baekhyun asked.

"We all went to ski before. When we were all together, we did many things together," Kyungsoo said.

"And the ski resort is my aunt's. She'll be able to let us play for free!" Jongin exclaimed.

"Yeah," Chanyeol said.

"So who will come with us?" Baekhyun asked.

"Everyone in the clique," Jongin said.

"Even Yifan hyung and Zitao?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yes!" Kyungsoo nodded.

"Great," Baekhyun smiled.

"It has been a long time since we went skiing, I don't even remember the basics anymore," Chanyeol shook his head slowly.

"Don't lie, hyung. We all know you are a pro skier," Jongin clicked his tongue.

"Second to Yifan hyung perhaps," Chanyeol said.

"We'll all go tomorrow morning. Meet outside the dormitory building," Kyungsoo said, ignoring them.

"Sure," Baekhyun said.

-

"So what should we bring for tomorrow?" Baekhyun asked Chanyeol.

"Be sure to wear more clothes, you're vulnerable to the cold," Chanyeol said and threw more jackets onto Baekhyun's bed.

"How about you?" Baekhyun asked.

"I can handle the cold better than you, hyung," Chanyeol said.

"Anymore things?"

"The ski equipments will be provided so...We just need to bring stuffs that will keep us warm. Especially you! I bet Kyungsoo will bring hot packs just for you," Chanyeol laughed.

"Can't help it."

"Yixing hyung will be bringing his first-aid kit too. He's really really good at being a nurse."

"I have a question." 

"What is it?"

"Why would Yixing hyung choose to be a doctor if his dancing and composing skills are so great?" 

"That.." Chanyeol stopped and stared at the floor.

"Is it something bad?" Baekhyun asked, sensing the atmosphere.

"You have to ask him yourself, I am not able to give you the exact answer."

"I see, alright."

"But I can tell you the summery of his story," Chanyeol said.

"Go on."

"Yixing hyung was 14 when he wanted to be a doctor. But he wasn't able to go to a medical school because of the finance problems. The reason why he wanted to be one is because he want to be able to treat others. His grandmother died of an unknown disease and he swore that he would find out the truth, the cure, the name of the disease."

"I guess he really love his grandmother."

"He does. We all love our own loved ones. Like you for instance. You love your father even though he often bullies you."

"True. It's what we humans have, isn't it? Love and care for our own loved ones."

"I would be honoured to be your loved one," Chanyeol laughed.

"Hmmm? You're so bold."

"I guess you still does not understand my feelings for you, huh? After all they said."

"I..It's just not the time yet to start a relationship. Chanyeol, we only met for a month or so."

"I understand." The frown on Chanyeol's mouth turned to be a sad smile. Baekhyun knew he was trying to stay strong.