Chapter 1

Seconds To Breathe

"Who was it?" Jongin asked, looking up at his roommate who was smiling like an idiot at his phone.

"You know. My childhood friend," Kyungsoo replied.

"What's his name again?" Jongin frowned to think.

"Baekhyun."

"Oh yes Baekhyun. What does he want?" He went back to reading his favourite fashion magazine.

"He's transferring to this school, and..." Kyungsoo turned to look at the munching Chanyeol.

"What?" Chanyeol asked, still having his mouth full with his supper.

"He's most probably going to share the room with you," Kyungsoo said.

Chanyeol almost choked, "He's gonna be my roommate?"

"Why? Don't you like company? You said you were lonely in your dorm and you always come to ours. Having Baekhyun as your roommate, you won't feel lonely anymore," Jongin reasoned.

"But..." Chanyeol mumbled.

"You got to get the dorm tidy. He's coming tomorrow night," Kyungsoo said and started listing all the things Chanyeol should do.

Chanyeol grumbled and continued his supper. He is excited but he isn't used to a roommate just yet. That night, he kept thinking if that Baekhyun would be...a pain.

-

The next night, Chanyeol got sick and tired of waiting for his new roommate to arrive. He got a bit worried and Kyungsoo did not call about Baekhyun either. 10pm. 11pm. 12 midnight. He decided to just sleep. The TV programs are getting boring too. He turned off all the lights and went to sleep.

 

At about 2am, there was a loud knock on the door. Chanyeol stirred but he did not awake. The knock came on again, louder this time. Chanyeol groaned in frustration but still got up nonetheless. He was ready to scream at the person but stopped when he saw a huge luggage on the ground.

"Ummm.." said the shorter guy. "Are you Park Chanyeol?" He sounded a little apologetic. Chanyeol was still in a state of shock but he nodded.

"Hi! I'm Byun Baekhyun! I'm your new roommate!" The guy smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Baekhyun hyung." They shook hands.

"I am very sorry that I am late. I got lost trying to find the school and then had a hard time finding the principal's office. And I do not know where are the dorms. Did I disturb your sleep?" Baekhyun asked.

"Actually...It's okay..Come in," Chanyeol motioned him in.

"I'll be looking forward to our days together. It will be fun to study as a group, isn't it? Kyungsoo, my best friend, he agreed to study with us some times," Baekhyun said.

"Yes I know that. Kyungsoo's my friend too," Chanyeol replied.

Baekhyun yawned a little and Chanyeol understood that they were both tired and needed sleep.

"I think we will call it a day. Would you mind if I start sharing the bedroom with you?" Baekhyun asked.

"I don't mind." Chanyeol showed him the way to the bedroom and Baekhyun pulled his heavy luggage along. The bedroom wasn't big but it is enough for two people and Chanyeol's huge corner of music sets. Baekhyun concluded that Chanyeol is in love with music. How interesting.

"Do you major in Music & Audio Technology?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yup," Chanyeol replied.

"Me too," Baekhyun smiled. "What do you play best?"

"Guitar. You?"

"Piano."

"That's interesting."

"So..Which is my bed?" Baekhyun asked, looking at the two beds at each side of the room.

"There." Chanyeol pointed to the bed at the right side of the room, nearest to the window.

"I see. Thank you, Chanyeol." Baekhyun parked his luggage beside his bed. He decided to unpack it later. He stared out of the window, feeling the cold wind.

"I will be off to school earlier tomorrow morning. I have an important meeting with the music teacher that you will soon meet. Will you be okay alone? You can ask Kyungsoo for help," Chanyeol said.

"I'll be fine. I'll see you soon in class anyways," Baekhyun sat on his bed. It was comfy.

"I hope you will enjoy the school life. Goodnight," Chanyeol turned off the lights and laid on his bed. Baekhyun did the same and they slept quite soundly.

-

Chanyeol was true to his words. Baekhyun found the dorm empty when he woke up the next day. He went over to Kyungsoo and Jongin's dorm. He knocked on the door and waited. It wasn't Kyungsoo who opened it. 

"You are?" The guy has a bed hair and ed shirt, but other than that, he looks awake.

"I'm Baekhyun. Kyungsoo's friend," Baekhyun said.

"Ah yes Baekhyun hyung! I'm Jongin," Jongin smiled and turned back. "Soo!!!! It's your friend!" He shouted. There was a clumsy sound of leg hitting against bed frame accompanied by a series of ow. Soon, Kyungsoo appeared behind Jongin.

"Baekhyun hyung!" Kyungsoo smiled so widely and hugged Baekhyun tightly. "I miss you."

"I'm here because Chanyeol went to school early. I thought you could help me out around here," Baekhyun explained.

"Come on in!" Kyungsoo exclaimed and pulled Baekhyun in.

Their dorm has a nice scent of lavender. And it looked cosier than his. It was a very warm and clean place.

"We just woke up," Jongin said and Baekhyun could definitely notice that.

"I was about to cook breakfast when the doorbell rang. Jongin raced to get it instead. I was still on bed," Kyungsoo grumbled. Jongin wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's waist and pulled him closer as he grinned. Baekhyun was surprised about the actions.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you! Jongin and I are official," Kyungsoo smiled.

"Ah. Congratulations!" Baekhyun said.

"Join us for breakfast," Kyungsoo said and made his way to the kitchen.

Jongin and Baekhyun were sitting at the dinning table.

"Is he a very good cook when he was younger?" Jongin asked, trying to get as much information about his boyfriend as possible.

"He does cook for his family. I tried his cooking when I went to his house. It was delicious. So I say, he is a very good cook," Baekhyun smiled at the memories.

"I agree. His cooking is really daebak," Jongin said. They smelt pancakes and their mouths almost watered.

"Hyung, what do you major? You had not told me yet," Kyungsoo asked as he got two plates of pancakes on the table.

"Music & Audio Technology," Baekhyun replied.

"Chanyeol hyung major that too," Jongin pointed out.

"Yup, he told me last night," Baekhyun nodded.

"You two will see each other very often," Kyungsoo said, sitting down after getting his own share. Baekhyun nodded.

"I got to warn you," Jongin said after swallowing. "Chanyeol don't like people to disturb him, he don't like people to burst into the room just like that when he is studying or making music. He is a music maniac. Also, he has this habit of sleep talking if he is tired or sad. Even if he looks tired or disappointed, don't ask him anything about it. He doesn't like it. He will be fine after a few days. If not, you gotta call us for help."

"Well..." Baekhyun breathed. "He does have a lot of problems.."

"Shall I list out yours?" Kyungsoo teased.

"I don't have any," Baekhyun frowned.

"I'll tell you one of them. You are very sensitive. You don't like it if someone ignores you for no reason. You will get very depressed. And most probably live your life without talking to that person until everything is resolved," Kyungsoo said.

"Well aren't you and Chanyeol hyung the opposite? Will you be alright if Chanyeol ignored you one day?" Jongin asked.

"Hey! Everyone is sensitive..." Baekhyun mumbled.

"Now why not we enjoy our first breakfast together and get going to school?" Kyungsoo said.

-

Kyungsoo helped Baekhyun with the directions and Baekhyun easily found his class. Many students were already in and a female teacher was in the class. He saw Chanyeol sitted at the last row of the class, diligently writing down notes in his notebook. He wanted to say hi, but he remembered Jongin's words. He just controlled himself and went in the class. The teacher saw him and coughed to get everyone's attention. Baekhyun was feeling awkward.

"Come in," the teacher said. Baekhyun walked to her and was feeling uncomfortable that everyone were staring at him. Even Chanyeol.

"This is Byun Baekhyun, our new student. Please treat him well," the teacher said. Baekhyun bowed. "Please take a seat there." The teacher pointed to the seat at the right corner of the class which is in between Chanyeol and the windows. Baekhyun nodded and made his way to the seat. Chanyeol smiled at him. 

"Glad you made it here, did Kyungsoo helped you?" Chanyeol asked him.

"Yes," Baekhyun nodded.

"That is our homeroom teacher and the head of the Music department, Mrs Ahn," Chanyeol said. Then he turned his body to point at a guy sitted almost in the middle of the class. "And that is Kim Joonmyun, our class president."

Joonmyun looks like a very kind person. He is a very good leader, said Chanyeol. Baekhyun like him, not as a lover but as a good friend. 

"It's very easy to get to know him. He always talks to each and everyone of us. He understands us and know our problems. He also helped us a lot. He will, soon, talk to you too," Chanyeol folded his arms and smiled. Baekhyun thought his smile was beautiful. Chanyeol's chestnut brown hair and handsome face just compliments it.

"Have you guys remembered about the annual Music Festival?" Mrs Ahn asked. There was a huge commotion but Mrs Ahn continued, "I have gotten the list of participants, including the other classes. I am proud to announce that Chanyeol will be performing again." She smiled at Chanyeol. Everyone clapped.

"If anyone wants to sign up, feel free to find me. I will gladly sign you up for this. Now, let's start with today's lessons." Mrs Ahn turned to write some words on the board.

"Are you going to play the guitar?" Baekhyun asked his roommate.

"Yup. I think you should join too," Chanyeol nodded.

"Can I? I just joined the school," Baekhyun said.

"It's best for you to perform and show everyone how good you are. You will be popular and not always left out," Chanyeol said.

"I have you, Kyungsoo and Jongin."

"You got to have more friends. High school isn't as easy as you think." Chanyeol leaned against his table and began writing notes.

It isn't easy, Baekhyun thought, but won't you help me?