Chapter 4

Seconds To Breathe

Class wasn't too boring that day. Mrs Ahn gave everyone a job. 

"Now for the people who will be adjusting the lightings," Mrs Ahn read from the list. "....and Chanyeol, who will be in charge."

Baekhyun was worried about Chanyeol. Chanyeol was again, in charge of the lightings. He could feel Chanyeol's legs shaking under the desk. Joonmyun wasn't happy either.

"You'll be fine," Baekhyun told Chanyeol. Chanyeol gave a shaky nod before turning to front again.

"Baekhyun and Sehun will be moving instruments. Other students from other classes and departments will join you two." Mrs Ahn continued.

Baekhyun looked around for that Sehun.

"Sehun's that guy in front. His crush is Luhan hyung from the Sociology department," Chanyeol told him.

"He seems..." Baekhyun tried to gather his words.

"Spoilt? Nah, he isn't. He is a good kid," Chanyeol said.

"No I mean he seems to be a bubble tea addict," Baekhyun pointed to the empty cups of bubble tea below Sehun's desk.

"Oh he does," Chanyeol laughed softly when he realised his mistake.

-

After school, they went to the Music room again. This time, Mrs Ahn isn't with them, but Kyungsoo and Jongin.

"Show us what you've got, pal," Jongin grinned at Chanyeol.

"I don't know if Baekhyun hyung is ready," Chanyeol looked at the said person.

Baekhyun looked back at him, then at KaiSoo.

"Why? What happened?" Kyungsoo asked.

"When Mrs Ahn wanted to see our practice, he made some mistakes because he was nervous," Chanyeol explained, "but that is okay." He smiled at Baekhyun.

"He's right, hyung. It's okay to make mistakes. Practice makes perfect," Kyungsoo said. 

"I was just nervous, because it was so early in the morning..." Baekhyun mumbled.

"We must be prepared for what comes," Jongin said.

"You ready?" Chanyeol asked Baekhyun. Baekhyun nodded.

The both of them started performing for the couple. KaiSoo had their hands intertwined as they listened, both smiling too. Baekhyun was doing better than this morning.

"It is beautiful!" Kyungsoo smiled.

"Thanks to Mrs Ahn, I get to perform a duet," Chanyeol said.

"Oh? Hold on a sec. Chanyeol hyung, since when you wanted a duet? With Baekhyun hyung? You never wanted to work with someone," Jongin asked.

Chanyeol's eyes fell onto the floor, coughing. Jongin giggled at him.

"Okay everyone. Just do your best for the festival. It's next week," Kyungsoo said.

Baekhyun stood up from the piano seat and went over to Kyungsoo, whispering something. Everyone watched Kyungsoo grinning widely.

"What?" Jongin asked.

"Baekhyun wanted us to get our seats to the festival. He wants us to watch them," Kyungsoo told Jongin.

"And how is that a secret?" Chanyeol asked.

"You'll know soon," Kyungsoo winked and smiled at Baekhyun.

-

"Tell me, please?" Chanyeol frowned at Baekhyun.

"No, Chanyeol," Baekhyun said with a straight face. His back facing the other as he stirred the boiling soup.

"Just tell me Baek," Chanyeol begged.

"You will know it during the festival, just be patient," Baekhyun said.

"Fine..." Chanyeol was defeated.

Baekhyun served up dinner and they both ate quietly, well actually not. Chanyeol was slurping his soup noisily but Baekhyun, a complete contrast, was eating quietly.

"So...." Chanyeol started and Baekhyun looked up at him. "What do you do in your free time?"

"Pardon?" Baekhyun asked.

"I just thought we could know each other better. You know, since we are roommates. This will stay until we graduated," Chanyeol said before stuffing rice into his mouth.

"Well..I love to play the piano as you know. I like to go to the library in my free time," Baekhyun said.

"So you like books?"

"You can say that. I love reading. Keeps me away from reality."

"Is there something cruel about it?" 

"I don't want to talk about it." Baekhyun's tone seems angry, but Chanyeol could sense that Baekhyun is about to cry. He knew he had to do something.

"For me, other than guitar, I also love photography. I wanted to be a journalist but I found out that my musical skills are better. Mrs Ahn said I could consider being this school's guitar teacher," Chanyeol changed the topic to stop Baekhyun from thinking anything bad.

"That's cool," Baekhyun replied. Chanyeol frowned a little. He noticed that Baekhyun was still upset over something. Maybe he should not have asked earlier.

"Are you free on weekends? We could go hang out with KaiSoo," Chanyeol continued to pull Baekhyun back.

"No, I have something else in mind," Baekhyun said.

"Oh," Chanyeol sounded disappointed.

"I don't know when I would be back. Maybe before dinner. I have to cook for the both of us anyways," Baekhyun said.

"It's fine if you are busy. No one's forcing you to come back early," Chanyeol said.

"No..you don't understand..." Baekhyun got quieter. "I don't even want to go there..." Chanyeol was debating in his mind whether Baekhyun had just spoke or not. Baekhyun's voice was so quiet, it was as if he was talking to his bowl. Chanyeol shifted uneasily in his seat. Baekhyun then stood up, startling Chanyeol. 

"But Baek, you haven't finished your dinner," Chanyeol said.

"I'm not hungry anymore, you can go on," Baekhyun said and threw the remaining food into the trashcan. He felt guilty to waste them, but he was too distracted to eat. He have stuffs to do.

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun quietly. Should he pull him back like what they do in dramas? Or should he just let him go? Chanyeol chose the latter. Baekhyun disappeared into their room.

"What happened to you?" Chanyeol thought in his mind.