Chapter 3

Seconds To Breathe

Baekhyun put his bag down, the Music room was sparkly clean. He was early that day and he does not know where Chanyeol or Mrs Ahn were. He spotted a piano and went over. The piano was polished and the keys were glossy looking. He sat down on the cushion and pressed onto a key. The deep sound filled the enclosed room and it soon faded away. He then started playing a song he had been practicing since he started playing the piano with a song he knew too well. He closed his eyes and listened to the sound each keys gave out. 

"Hyung?" 

Baekhyun's fingers froze in place and opened his eyes. The sound echoing in the enclosed room. He saw Chanyeol by the door, panting and sweating. Chanyeol closed the door and their eyes met for a few seconds.

"Um...Mrs Ahn is not free. So she handed the music sheets to me. She wants us to practice ourselves first," Chanyeol said and approached the older.

"I see," Baekhyun replied, watching Chanyeol putting his guitar down and trying to catch his breath. "Why are you so tired?"

"I..I kind of forgotten about the practice. I was studying until Joonmyun came and told me that Mrs Ahn isn't free, which reminds me. So I ran.." Chanyeol explained.

"It's okay, I just came too," Baekhyun said.

"Let's review the music sheets, shall we?" Chanyeol handed Baekhyun one.

"Growing Pains," Baekhyun read.

"It's Super Junior - D&E's latest song. It would be awesome to play!" Chanyeol exclaimed. Baekhyun nodded and smiled.

They both started reading the notes on the paper. It was a 3 minute silence before Baekhyun started to try out the first verse. Chanyeol watched his roommate pressing on the keys and glancing at the music sheet every now and then. After the song, he clapped.

"This song is nice," Baekhyun said. "It's your turn. I want to see you play." He turned to look at Chanyeol. 

"Sure." Chanyeol picked up his guitar and started strumming the notes. Baekhyun stared at him dreamily. Chanyeol's face was serious as he played. 

"It's beautiful," Baekhyun commented at the end.

"We just need to practice playing it together. We will sing later," Chanyeol said.

"Sure," Baekhyun nodded and played the first verse and Chanyeol started coming in.

They played the whole song but there were some mistakes about the timing but nonetheless, it was still beautiful. They practiced over and over again until finally, it was soon evening. Baekhyun let out a sigh and smiled.

"We can practice again tomorrow. The music festival is next week," Chanyeol said.

"Sure," Baekhyun said.

"Let's head home," Chanyeol kept his guitar and stood up. 

Before they left, they made sure that everything were turned off. They then walked back to the dorms together. It was already very late. Stars were shining, the moon was bright that particular night. The school compound was also deserted. Many of the students had went to sleep. 

"I like this," Baekhyun started.

"Like what?" Chanyeol asked.

"This. I like the breeze. It's so calming," Baekhyun looked around.

"Yeah. It sure is."

They continued walking in silence. None of them are brave enough to create small talks. But the both of them did not blame each other for that. They finally reached their dorm. They were not sure if KaiSoo were asleep now, but they both does not want to bother them. They both want their best friends right now. Chanyeol opened the door and let Baekhyun in first. 

"Do you want to shower first?" Baekhyun asked.

"You can go ahead. I'll tune my guitar," Chanyeol said.

"Okay," Baekhyun chirped. He went to the closet and took a black plain shirt and a long pants. Chanyeol went to sit on his bed. Baekhyun gave one last look at the other before going into the bathroom.

-

It was still awkward even though some ice had melted. Baekhyun was now in charge of breakfast and dinner. Kyungsoo once mentioned that he passed some cooking skills to Baekhyun. The next morning, Baekhyun whipped up a simple meal that could be eaten quickly, because the both of them were wanted by Mrs Ahn. After they had prepared and eaten, they went off together to school. It was still pretty early. Not much students were seen walking around. Baekhyun and Chanyeol made their way to the Music room where Mrs Ahn want to see them. Mrs Ahn was already there when they arrived.

"Good morning Mrs Ahn," they both greeted.

Mrs Ahn nodded and smiled. "I've been looking forward to your practice. Why not show me how it went?"

Baekhyun gasped and looked at Chanyeol. But luckily, Chanyeol had his guitar with him, he nodded and looked at Baekhyun.

"We'll do it," he said.

"Good. You may start whenever you want," Mrs Ahn went to the bench and sat down. 

Baekhyun went to the piano and Chanyeol sat on the chair beside it. Baekhyun cast nervous glances at Chanyeol. Chanyeol gave a warm smile to comfort him. Then, Chanyeol started strumming his guitar. Baekhyun joined in. Baekhyun started singing and Mrs Ahn watched in amusement. Due to the nervousness, Baekhyun pressed the wrong keys sometimes. After they had finished, she stood up and clapped.

"This is wonderful! I would want to see the same thing in the festival," she said, "maybe a little better, Baekhyun." She looked at the said person.

"I'm sorry Mrs Ahn," Baekhyun said.

"It's okay. Practice makes perfect. You two can go to class now," Mrs Ahn said and left.

"What happened there?" Chanyeol asked.

"I was too nervous.." Baekhyun looked down.

"It's okay hyung. You did great," Chanyeol gave his signature smile.

Kyungsoo once mentioned that Chanyeol was nicknamed, Happy Virus, in school. He smiles brightly and rarely gets angry. But lately, stress is slowly taking over him. So Kyungsoo hoped Baekhyun would help Chanyeol be the Happy Virus again.

"You did great too."

"Let's go to class." 

Chanyeol picked up his guitar and slung the bag across his body. He opened the door for Baekhyun, a routine that they do. Baekhyun thanked him and they went to the classroom together. Joonmyun was there when they arrived.

"Hello guys," Joonmyun smiled.

"Morning hyung!" Baekhyun chirped.

"What's in for today?" Chanyeol asked.

"Mrs Ahn would be briefing us about the Music Festival. Even though some of us may not he performing, we would still be helping out backstage," Joonmyun said.

"That's nice," Baekhyun nodded.

"I'll look forward to not setting up the lights again," Chanyeol said and walked to his desk.

Joonmyun inched closer to Baekhyun and whispered, "He once accidentally hit a guy with the lights. The lights wasn't installed properly. So he sort of have this trauma." Baekhyun then nodded in reply.