Thirteen

Between The Two.

Jessica POV.

The cold night breeze blew gently as I stood on the patio, holding a glass of hot chocolate. Two days passed after her flight to Tokyo. Our conversations have stopped since. It got me thinking -  what if I'm just a stopover just like before? Thinking that history may repeat itself got me anxious. I couldn't stop thinking about the night we had. Based on my observation, our conversation took a deep dive into ourselves than we both want to admit.

I couldn't help but smile whenever my mind travels back to her. Despite her cold personality, she is such a gentle person, with a gentle smile. The way her eyes curved when she smile is adorable. The way her face frowned whenever she chugged down the soju is funny albeit cute. The way the tattoos on her right arm were shown when she pulled up her sleeves is y. 

And the way I can remember all these traits about her is ...strange.

Teaching her about Korean culture and drinking soju is one thing. That's probably my highlight for the night. 

But us sharing our deepest feeling is an amazing thing. The thing that I couldn't, didn't, and never had when I was dating Donghae. It was a complete 180 degrees when it was with her.

 

"Were you surprised today?"

I chuckled, "It'd be a lie to say no. But I figured this meeting is bound to happen anyway."

"Because of the fashion show?"

I nodded. "Because of the fashion show. Did you come because of the fashion show or because I invited you?"

"Tell me the difference."

"If it's the first, Jo; it be because of Hyuna and if it's the latter, it is because of how badly I want to see you..."

Her lips tugged into a smile as she looked down before meeting my eyes again. What am I saying? I couldn't be drunk. It's only my second glass and our pork belly and beef only started to cook. Somehow, I find myself waiting for her to answer. I took time to study her face. Her dark brown eyes, down to her nose, and her lips. It's pinkish under the orange light. Her dark tresses were trimmed on the side. Her long fingers played with the glass. The silver ring on her left middle finger. 

It almost seems like she's thinking of her answer for me.

Is it to not hurt my feelings because we are out tonight or because she wasn't sure why she came?

"And, why did you agree to see me tonight?"

I let out a chuckle, "...I wish I knew too."

"That makes us even then," Jo said and pour me a glass. "Do you regret coming tonight?"

"If anything that I regret that would be meeting Donghae," I chuckle, staring at the blank space, "But being able to be a mother to a beautiful baby boy is the greatest gift and I wouldn't change a thing."

I waited for her to reply, but only to realize her eyes are on me before realizing that I spilled the one thing that I didn't want her to know. The one thing that I want to hide. I wanted to say something but seeing how her face saddened, and her lips pressed into a thin line made my heart aches for some reason. It makes me wanna get up and hug her but I couldn't.

"Do you hate me?"

"Give me a reason or reasons why I hate you."

I bit my lips, "...I ruined your engagement. If only I kept the pregnancy to myself you and that girl would still be engaged and you'd be married by now."

"If you did that, I will hate you, no question ask. But you didn't so thank you, Jessica. I owed you."

"...Do you miss her?"

"Sometimes but when I remembered the pain and betrayal," she paused, as she tries to chew and swallowed her wrappers. "It's a waste of time."

"S-Sorry, I brought it up."

Her lips smiled, "It's not your fault. I'm the one that asked. Anyway, I'm glad you moved on."

"It's a big step."

"Cheers to that!" Jo laughed and pour me another glass and I did to hers. "To a new beginning -"

 

I jumped a little when I felt a hand on my shoulder and spilled a little of my drinks.

“Is something on your mind, Sooyeon?”

I bit my lips, “...What’s your view on a relationship, mom?”

Mom turned around and rested her back against the rail, “Hm, I think it’s something that you should be ready to be in. Why? Do you think it’s time?”

I shook my head, “I...Just wondering.”

“Whatever it is, make sure the other person knows that you have a kid,” said mom. “That person has to accept it willingly. Or, it can become an obstacle in the future.”

I sighed, “...Jackie met Aiden.”

"Who's that?"

"Blanc's model for sports collection this year and Donghae's elder sister. Remember him?"

slowly opens up, forming an 'O' before covering it with her hand in shock and realization hits her, “...진짜?” Are you serious?

I nodded, “What are the odds?"

"Well, does Jackie knows who you are?"

I shook my head, "No, I didn't tell her. I was astonished by the fact that they are siblings and that even words left my mouth."

Mom laughed, "Idiot. If the situation calls for it, what would you do?"

"I guess I should."

***

I twist and the bed, trying to get myself to fall asleep. For some reason, I couldn't. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand, staring at it. I unlocked it and scrolled down to her number. Somehow, I couldn’t bring myself to tap on it. I locked my phone before unlocking it again a few seconds later.

We just knew each other and I don't wanna look desperate. I shouldn't disturb her sleep just because I am becoming a night owl, right? Is this what it’s like to start liking someone again? I can’t even decide on the simplest thing. If I text her at this hour, what would she think of me?

I clasped my hands together and close my eyes. I grabbed my phone again and this time full of confidence – no, not really.

j.sooyeon: 뭐 ? What are you doing?

I had my thumb already on the send button but again, I couldn’t bring myself to send it. Argh! I threw it on the bed and lay next to it. I never knew texting someone can be this hard. It was never hard before nor was it nerve-wracking for me.

*RING*

The phone rang shocked me and caused my hand to accidentally knock the phone to the ground. “,” I mumbled as I quickly crouched down to grab it. Without seeing the name clearly, I slide the green button, “…Hello?”

'Hi, miss me?'

I rolled my eyes at her question, "Wanna guess?"

‘And if I guess it right?’

"I'll grant you a wish." What am I saying?

'Check your iMessage.'

Huh? I removed the phone from my ears, and recheck my iMessage. I widened my eyes as I realized that I might have accidentally sent it. I buried my face in the pillow to muffle the scream. How careless can I be? But when her laughter echoes through the line; it made me wonder how long has it been since I made someone giggle and happy when they are talking to me. I miss this feeling. I miss the feeling of making someone happy - when they are with me, because of me. Inadvertently, it put a smile on my face and find myself wanting more of it.

"Jo, am I disturbing you?"

'Nah, I've just reached home when you text."

I looked at the time, thirty minutes past eleven, "...Isn't it quite late?"

'Yea. Why aren't you sleeping yet, Jess? Am I keeping you up?'

"I just wanna talk to you, I supposed."

'So you do miss me.'

"Shut up."

Again her laughter erupted through the line. Can I still hear her laughter in the future? I lay back down on the bed and stares at the ceiling. "Where did you go today?"

'I was mostly at the office but went to the bar after working hours.'

"Who were you with?"

'Kris, my assistant and Hyuna.'

Hyuna. Are they really dating? If they are; am I a thorn in the relationship? I don't wanna be the person that breaks yet another relationship.

"How close are you guys?"

'Close enough to be my emergency contact?'

I chuckle, "That's one way to describe them."

'And you? Who are you close with?'

"I will introduce them to you when we meet again."

'You sound so sure that we will meet again.'

I smiled, "Are you anywhere near a window?"

'Yes. Why?'

"Look out. Do you see the moon?"

'Yes.'

"Me too, thus, as long as we are under the same sky, I am sure that we will meet again, Jo."

Where did you get the confidence, Jung Sooyeon?