Eleven

Between The Two.

Jessica POV

Who would've thought that they are siblings? Not me. I thought there were only two of them and obviously, I thought wrong. But then again, have I been right in anything in life?

The sister had to leave due to an emergency schedule conflict with her agency, so now it's only both of us, sitting opposite each other. The awkward feeling is in the air. We couldn't stop stealing glances at each other, trying to find words or topics worthy enough to say. Once in a while, we sipped from our coffee cups as we waited for our food to come. 

As we are stealing glances, I noticed that just like me, she is also feeling awkward. I wouldn't blame her. This is a foreign land after all. I also noticed that she kept staring at the little guy in his baby seat. Instantly, I was trembling with anger. But mostly, fear. I would be lying if I don't feel scared.

I cleared my throat, "H-How was your flight here?"

"Huh? Oh, i-it was okay."

"When did you arrive?"

"Last night."

I nodded and thanked the waiter set our food and drinks on the table. I ordered a medium rare steak, with ice lemon tea and she ordered a simple Aglio olio with a mojito. We started eating and both of us were just as quiet as a mouse while the piano instrumental was played through the restaurant speaker. We sat near a window that gave us a good view of the river.

"Must've been beautiful during nighttime," said a voice.

"Huh?"

"The restaurant."

I covered my mouth as I was chewing, "What about it?"

"For a restaurant like this, if it didn't offer the view of nature, I might not come," she said, twirling her fork against the plate. "The big window, the black-and-white interior, quite boring don't you think?"

"What do you know about design, Jo?"

She sighed, "I don't but I know about business."

"What's the most important thing in business?" I asked and looked at her while supporting my chin with my palm. "Care to share a thing or two?"

"Personal branding."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Did the CEO design the fashion on his own?"

I nodded.

Jo smiled, "...Is it okay if it gets personal?"

"...I supposed so?"

"During the uncomfortable times, I bet Blanc lost investors and models too. But along the way, the CEO did get new investors and models too, did he not?"

I nodded.

"Do you know why?"

"He's hardworking."

"Tet."

"He's good."

"Wrong."

I frowned, "Because he's capable."

Jo chuckled, "Almost."

"Huh?"

"It's because he put his personal touch in every design. He creates a brand with his identity in it. In other words, authentic," Jo smiled. "So no matter what going to happen in the future, Blanc will always be fine because there's an originality to it. Sure there will be some cracks along the way, but it will only strengthen the brand, and investors love a strong and confident image. And models? They love stability."

I leaned in, captivated by her insight, "...How do you know all these?"

"I asked uncle Google," Jo said, winking at me.

"Pfft!" I chuckled. "...How's your food?"

"It's okay, I guess."

"Hm? You had it better?"

"...Maybe," Her voice trailed, as she continue playing with her food. "...Do you have a place to go after this?"

I glance to my side, where my baby is sleeping soundlessly, and I glance back at her, "Will you be okay alone?" It makes me wonder why she didn't say anything. Or ask. Curiosity fills my mind but I'm also afraid of the answer. 

"Yea, I can ask uncle Google," she giggled. "Have a good day, Jessica."

***

I sat on the edge of the bed, alone, when I received the incoming FaceTime call on my MacBook. I walked over to the desk and accept the call. 

'Jessica!'

Well, what do you know? It's a group FaceTime with Nick and Victoria, and Tiffany and Taecyeon. I'm the only single one out.

"What with the sudden FaceTime?"

'What do you mean? We always do this,' says Tiffany.

Nick chuckled, 'My wife misses you guys. She can't wait for the fashion show.'

Right, the fashion show. I just realized it will happen in a week. No wonder Tiffany is feeling nervous but I am partly the reason too, right?

'Nick, are Hyuna and Jo dating?' ask Taec while focusing on his phone.

Subconsciously, my ears shot up and focus on the virtual people in front of me. Are they dating? It makes sense if they are. But why am I interested?

I heard Nick sighed, 'Jo don't date old flame.'

'The post doesn't support that,' says Taec while showing us his phone towards the camera. 

The post? I grabbed my phone quickly to search for it. It should appear on my feed too. Since Hyuna and I are following each other on IG. I bit my lips when I saw the post. The photo shows them having hi-tea together and their fingers intertwined. Taec knew it was Jo because she was tagged. 

*BEEP*

I got another DM from her, and without wasting time, I clicked it open. Do I seem desperate?

amberj.liu: what are you up to?

j.sooyeon: nothing much.

amberj.liu: that's probably more fun than what I'm doing.

I chuckled, turned my body sideways, and my attention to the phone.

j.sooyeon: what are you doing?

amberj.liu: nothing fun. 

I rolled my eyes, "Annoying."

amberj.liu: I'm finishing up soon, do u wanna meet up?

***

I must be crazy.

I mean, who on earth would agree to a stranger for a meet up? What was I thinking when I replied 'okay'?! It's cold outside, and I'm just wearing a simple white oversized t-shirt tucked under my jeans. 

"Hi."

Startled, I took a step back. Honestly, I was relieved that she came. For a moment, I thought she'd ditched me or I was being played but no.

"I-I thought you're not coming, J-Jo."

"Hm? That would be rude of me, no? Jo said,  bending over so that our eyes are on the same level.

I gulped, "R-Right. So where do you wanna go?" 

Jo took off her beige-colored jacket and put them on me which caught me off guards.

"Better?"

I nodded, as I thanked her with a smile. I held on to it to keep myself warm as we begin our walk, side by side. She was wearing a turtleneck sweater with her hands tucked inside her pants pocket. Does it keep her warm? 

The walk is quiet, peaceful as our heels pat, pat, pat against the pavement. There is a low hum of vehicle from a distance as we slowly entering a less busy street yet crowded with people.

"I'm hungry."

I chortled, "I thought you won't say it. Let's eat!"