Ten

Between The Two.

Jessica POV

It took time for me to recompose myself after the phone call and my mind was trying to register the talk between us. I don't know what drove me to dial her number. The phone was on the table as I held onto her name card. Never have I thought that she will answer my call. Even I wouldn't answer an unknown number.

They packed the alley since tomorrow is a Sunday. This section is one of my favorite places for lunch. The rehearsal ended up late, and we got hungry. I looked up at the sky and breathed in the fresh air before returning to the restaurant. I sat facing the entrance door, with the couple sitting opposite me.

“We need a vacation when this is over.”

I smiled. “Do whatever you need to do, Tiff. You two deserved it.”

“So, did you invite Jo over?”

Tiffany looked at us. “Why do we need to invite Jo? That’s ridiculous!”

Taec sighed, “It’s for Nick.”

Her face turned into confusion. “They haven’t made up yet?”

“Nope,” I said, cutting the cooked meat with a scissor. I am hungrier because of the smell of grilled meat. The taste of the soju made everything taste sweet on these nights.

“Did you invite her over?” asks Tiffany, eyeing me.

“I did.”

“When?”

“Just now,” I answered, as I chewed on the food.

"Were you on the phone with her?"

I nodded.

"Like when you were outside just now - just now?" Tiffany asked again, staring at me.

Again, I nodded, and the conversation ended at that. The laughter from other guests made the atmosphere lively. I don't remember when was the last time I went out for lunch with my friends, yet now I am already a single mother. Times fly by so fast. It feels just yesterday that I am growing a little human inside of me but now; he is here with me.   

The fashion show is around the corner, and I realized that if I invited Jo to the fashion show – there’s a chance that Jo and Aiden will meet and the probability of Nick and Jo mending things is zero to none. I mean; if Jo has been avoiding Nick, will they reconcile their friendship?

The question that I should be asking is - am I ready to introduce them to each other?

***

The next dawn arrived quickly and I decided to have a morning jog since I’ve gained weight ever since I gave birth to Aiden because it is advisable for me to eat more. The best part about this is that I get to catch the sunrise when I'm done. The golden hour in the morning is something else. It calms me down as it gives me the feeling of a fresh start.

“Jessica?”

I halted, “Tiffany?”

“I didn’t know you’re an early bird,” Tiff said, jogging in place.

“I didn’t know you’re a runner.”

Tiffany stops, and bends down as she catches her breath, “I couldn’t sleep so decided to run.”

“Why?”

“I’m nervous,” Tiffany said. “This is the first fashion show since y’know..”

I nodded, it’s true. This fashion show is the first since the news of me giving birth without a husband. It kinda put a stop to everything – the investor ran off – the model resigns – the business stock crashes and almost put an end to Blanc.

But it’s a miracle that Dad can keep Blanc standing strong and high. It must’ve been hard for him to do it alone.

“And you? What makes you wanna run?”

“I couldn’t sleep.”

Tiffany chuckled, “Since when?”

“Since I realized the possibility of Jo meeting Aiden exists and might arrive sooner than I want it to be ...”

Her expressions are gone from nothing to a serious face, "Oh my god. We didn't think that far into the future."

I let out a soft chuckle at her reaction as we continue walking down the bridge to the park. The sun rises and it makes the day warmer in cold weather. 

*BEEP*

I stopped walking, and pull out my phone – one DM.

amberj.liu: What time is it now in Seoul?

I smiled, and mumbled, "Amber? That's a pretty name."

j.sooyeon: if you're that curious come to the fashion show.

amberj.liu: just how bad do you want to see me?

j.sooyeon: just how bad do you want to know the time?

For a few seconds, the typing box appeared before disappearing the next. I decided to tuck my phone back into my pocket and just enjoy the morning exercise before parting ways with Tiffany. The run home was a lot better than before. My time and my pace were good, and I sweat a good amount.

The moment I entered the kitchen, my nostril was filled with the coffee scent and toasted bread. The stove is boiling with eggs. 

"How was your run?"

"It was good. Thanks, mom." I said, sipping the coffee. "Is Aiden awake?"

"Your dad is bathing him." Mom let out a laugh. "What's your plan for the day?"

"Hm, nothing much. Why?"

"Your dad plans to bring Aiden with him to the studio, and I can't be there since I have a flight to catch." 

"Where to?"

"Osaka."

I nodded as I grabbed a toast and coat it with choco and peanut spread on it. Come to think of it, I haven’t spent time with Aiden lately. I guess I’m coming down to the studio today. Anything to spend time with my baby boy.

***

“Do you miss me, Aiden? Because mommy misses you.”

I hold Aiden in my arms while sitting on the couch near the window. His grandpa had dressed Aiden in his baby overalls and his mini-golf hat that successfully show his cuteness.

The photo studio that stood proudly had witnessed our downfall and shame more than our success yet it has become our main source of income and it has created a better life opportunity. For some, it has become a stepping stone, and for others an opportunity to network. 

The scratches on the wooden floor become living proof of how hard these people had to work to earn a living. It is here that models and photographers are born. Papa Jung had and has trained them from the ground up despite his busy schedule. We hired students from the university to do their internship, even. 

“Ms. Jung, this is Jackie,” said the intern, “Jackie, this is Ms. Jung – the daughter.”

I stood up, holding Aiden with me, and shake hands with Jackie afterward, “Nice to meet you.”

Jackie smiled, “Nice to meet you too. Who’s this little guy?”

“This is Aiden," I answered. 

“Hello, Aiden. Nice to meet you,” Jackie smiled while playing with his little fingers. “Can I join you?”

I nodded, "Do you want anything?"

Jackie shook her head, "No, I think I'm going out for late lunch later before my fan meet."

Where did I see you? Why do you look so familiar? 

"Are you alone?"

Jackie shook her head, "My sister is on her way."

"How long will you be here?"

"Hm, I'm actually on vacation so maybe next week?"

"Thank you for making time for this." I smiled.

Jackie and I continue to converse while listening and watching other models do their shoot meanwhile Aiden is laying down, chewing on his toys. His gums are probably itchy since I started to notice that his teeth are starting to appear. 

*RING*

"Speak of the devils," Jackie said, holding her iPhone in her hand, before answering the call. 

"Hey, you landed?"

'Yep, we gonna go check-in and fetch you once we are done.'

"We?"

'Talk to you later!' 

That voice sounds familiar. Hmm...

***

I could only laugh.

The universe is ludicrous. Of all places, and of all times, this is how and where we met. Her sudden appearance in front of me caught me off guard. I couldn’t think nor speak. My only goal right now is to prevent them from meeting each other.

Who would've thought that they are siblings