Nine

Between The Two.

Jessica POV

I was startled by the sudden pain that rushes through me. Nine months had I gone through alone. But of course; I do have my family and friends by my side. I guess starting over isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Was I in a relationship? No – definitely no. I’ve decided to be a single mother and raised this precious fetus alone. I don’t mind that it has become national news that has been going around for the last two months. It had also caused Blanc's stock price to drop and most of dad’s partners are pulled out of the company.

Blanc has lost millions of thousand yet it doesn’t change the way my dad is thinking of me. I am his precious daughter after all. The same for Mama Jung – she has pulled back from the meeting and any events she has in the future.

The sudden pain sent me to dig my fingernails into her forearms, as I tried to withstand the pain. My water broke when I was happily devouring my tteobokki as I walked on the street of Seoul. Never in my deep mind, was I would be rushed by the public towards the emergency room.

“And the Jung shall multiply,” says my dad with his eyes looking around the room, before resting solely on me. In a matter of a split second, my mom’s head pops up behind him, and worry and nervousness were shown on her face. “Don’t worry, she will be fine. Go and be there for her. I will be outside waiting with the others.”

Mom nodded, as the nurse ushered her to the other side of the room and get her dress in the surgical dress. I continued breathing slowly and groaning in pain as the contraction keep coming back every few seconds now.

“Deep breath, Sooyeon,” Mom murmured over the sound of the heartbeat monitor. “Thank you for being here fast enough, Tiffany.”

Tiffany smiled in anxiety but no words were exchanged. The next contraction sent me waves of pain as I continued to hold on to Tiffany’s hand like theirs no tomorrow – I can see how painful it must’ve been because it looked like I’d stopped the blood flowing in her hands.

you, Donghae.

***

This little creature has taken his sweet time to meet the world and take his sweet time singing his life soundtrack as a greeting for his momma. I finally get to breathe and relaxed a little when I heard his cries echoing around the room – it means the hardest part has passed.

I’m in love when I finally get a chance to hold him after his godmother and grandmother took their sweet time greeting the little creatures while I watch from the table.

I smiled, couldn’t stop the little tears from escaping my eyes, “Hello, Aiden.”

I’ve been choosing this name long before the due. I like it as it was short and simple. I don’t need a complicated name for my son. As long as it fits, it stays.

“Be fiery lights to others as your name,” I smiled, and kiss him on his temple, “I love you.”

The birds' chirping sounded so melodic and ic to the ear. Nothing seems can hurt us now that we are here in this little space together. As soon as both Aiden and I are ushered into a room, everyone that waited outside came in.

Dad instantly goes over to his grandson more than his daughter. This is the first time I saw him shed tears in front of him. Hopefully, those are good happy tears. He holds the little precious human in his hands, “You little gorgeous Jung. Have you named him yet?”

I nodded, “Aiden – Aiden Jung.”

“Hello, Aiden,” He smiled and pressed his lips on his cheeks, “I’m your grandpapa.”

I lay down on the bed and close my eyes as they are enchanted with Aiden’s gurgling and cuteness. I never thought the birth of this little one has brought them all together in one room. It has always been difficult to even see them at one point.

***

I was allowed to stay in the hospital for another two days because the doctor wanted to see my improvements. Based on what I understood, I was very underweight when I delivered Aiden and he was surprised that both the baby and the mother are safe.

I’m thankful that the couple came today, I just watched as I let his grandpa bathe the little guy. I could hear her baby's voice as he tries to communicate with Aiden.

He has done nothing other than be a supportive and loving dad and grandpa to us. I’m so glad he loves Aiden and focuses more on the little guy than his work now — not that I hate when he’s working but it’s nice to have him home more often now.

I walked down towards the kitchen where Nick and Taec both has a bottle of beer in front of them, and sat down on the kitchen stool while Mom and Victoria are busy cooking for dinner.

The couple had flown in just to visit me. I was surprised as much as my parents were when they came knocking on the door with Taecyeon as their tourist guide.

I sat down on the stool, “Have you made up with Jo yet?”

He shook his head, “Jo been ignoring my calls.”

I nodded, “Sorry that I brought that up.”

He shook his head, “It’s okay. Have you spoken to her lately?”

"I don't think we'd ever talk..."

Now that he has mentioned it, I think I have only known about her updates from Instagram and the news portal and now I am a single mother. Wow, time flies by so fast when you’re living your life happily.

“What was I thinking,” he murmurs, “Sorry.”

“Maybe we can invite her to the Spring Collection showcase,” said Taecyeon before shrugging off the idea. “Tiffany and Hyuna will be the highlight that night – I’m pretty sure that Jo’s gonna come considering that they are somewhat – dating.”

I, somehow, don’t like the idea of those two dating. I’m not disgusted or whatever but it triggers something inside me that causes me to stiffen up.

Nick sighed, “Kris told me they are not dating.”

“Who is Kris?”

“Jo’s right-hand man, Scarlett's assistant.”

I nodded, as I am somewhat familiar with the girl’s name. I’m pretty sure I heard it before or somewhere.

“Taecyeon is right,” said the wife, and turned to her husband, “Maybe you can give Jo’s contact or email to Jessica? Receiving an invitation directly from the top is not something Jo would decline, would she?”

He sighed, “When is the showcase?”

“In three months,” I answered while looking at the calendar. “I should be able to get to her.”

***

One month has passed since the labor and I feel a little bit energetic enough to come and visit my dad at work. Blanc has been in very bad shape because of me – a few of the potential models resigned because they couldn’t stand the criticism from the public.

It’s the modeling industry – there is a dark side to it, I must say. If you or any of us can rise above it, none of the darkness can pull you down.

The power will be yours.

I sat down on the couch, looking at him while he paced side to side talking to his models. The fashion week is happening in less than two months so I understand how stressed he is right now.

I looked at the name card in my hand, playing it with my fingers. I’m told that I should invite her as early as I can for the reason that she is busy.

Oh, well.

 

Amber POV.

The rain poured into the street of New York. I stood there on the sidewalk, looking up at the 45-story building in front of me, holding an umbrella. I’ve touched down in New York three days ago but I purposely delayed this meeting because I do not want to see her.

This is a mistake. I shouldn’t be here, especially when I was not thinking things through. It’s been almost a year and I’ve successfully avoided her – but why did my legs automatically make the decision for me?

“Josephine?”

– I know that voice.

I turned around, and put up a small smile, “Mr. Jung.”

He laughed, “Just call me Papa Jung like always. Come, dear. Soo Jung and Mama Jung are waiting.”

I wanted to protest but I just couldn’t seem to open my lips. Probably because I felt pity towards him. He has been texting and calling me now and then asking when can I come over for dinner.

I guess he couldn’t accept that Soo Jung and I are no longer together. I put down the umbrella as we reached the lobby and we walked towards the elevator.

“I’m so glad you came. I had to run out for a while because our wine is running out.” He laughed.

I smiled, feeling a little bit guilty, “You don’t have to do that.”

He laughed again, “It’s nothing.”

The elevator opened with a ding and we stepped in. Inside, it felt awkward for me as we are no longer keeping close contact as usual. He was the person that taught me how to play golf – how to aim for my goals and be patient even when things don’t go my way.

He also teaches me how to treat his daughter, the best way he knows how. I know a lot about Soo Jung through his eyes – his guidance, but I just don’t know where it went wrong.

Life has been a mess.

The moment we reached his condominium level; it feels almost like a déjà vu to me. It almost felt familiar to me. He unlocked the door and invited me in which I reluctantly entered.

“Make yourself at home,” Mr. Jung said as he leads me towards the living room. “I’ll go help Mama Jung in the kitchen.”

I nodded, weakly. I looked around the living room – the wall is completely all window that shows a great view of the skyline. I know it's going to be spectacularly breathtaking during sunset and sunrise.

“C-Can I take your coat?”

I turned around, with a raised brow – there she is – Soo Jung – the one I’ve been avoiding meeting this whole time. I bit the inside of my cheeks, holding back all the things I wanna say because honestly right now; all I wanted to do is scream at her and asks why.

“D-Do you want some wine?”

I shrugged, “Sure.”

“I’ll be right back.”

I took off my coat, nonetheless, and she steps closer to me. I can see her fingers shake when she takes my coat off my hands and quickly hang them on the coat hanger before proceeding to take the wine.

I took a seat on the sofa, finally letting the tiredness show. I didn’t do anything today but I feel exhausted. Probably meeting her has drained all of my energy. I leaned back and closes my eyes – Why do I feel so sleepy?

***

“Jo, wake up..”

I slowly opened my eyes, and her face came into my vision. I sat up, and rubbed my eyes, “Sorry.”

She smiled, “It’s okay. Dinner is ready.”

I stood up and followed her to the dining area. I was astonished when I reached there as I saw the table was perfectly set up with candles.

I frowned, “What is this, Krystal? Where are your parents?”

“T-They left as soon as Dad received a call...” Krystal said. “P-Please don’t be mad...”

I looked at her in disbelief. Her face shows nothing but fear. Is she afraid of me now? Unbelievable. Where did that fear go when she cheated on me?

I sighed, “Why do you want to see me?”

“I-I just want to talk to you.”

"You are now a mother and Donghae's wife."

"P-Please."

I sighed, again, and took a seat. I palmed my face in exhaustion before looking back at her, “Talk.”

Krystal stepped closer to me, before kneeling– which caught me off guard. What is she trying to do? Is she trying to make me feel guilty?

“I-I’m sorry.”

I pulled my hands away when she tries to touch it, “For?”

“Everything,” Krystal paused, her voice started to crack. “T-The thing between me and Donghae – it was nothing more than a revenge .”

I stood up abruptly, with anger rising inside of me, “I beg your pardon, Jung Soo Jung?”

“It-It was supposed to be a one-time thing...” Krystal added, “That night, I was angry. I was angry at you for spending more time with Scarlett than with me. I was your fiancée, Jo! I waited for you to come home early because we promised to have dinner together!”

“That doesn’t explain why you need to him!” I snapped at her. “This will be the last time I see you.”

***

The gym smelled like sweat and a dead body morphed into one. I stood in the middle of the ring wearing boxing gloves, throwing punches at the guy in front of me. I keep on punching, with sweats exiting my body like rainfall. I don’t even know how long I have been here.

“Give me a jab-cross,” said him.

I keep on hitting, and jabbing left and right – harder each time – fueled with anger inside me. I jabbed at him with my right hand, and he avoided me by moving to the left but his hand was quick to land a punch on my face causing me to stumble to the side.

“What’s bothering you, Am?” He asked, “Your punches are extra-feisty today.”

My breathing was ragged as I sit up, trying to catch my breath. I didn’t know boxing could make me panting half-death. Or probably because it’s been a while since I exercise.

“What’s on your mind, Am?” He asked again. “C’mon talk to me.”

I sighed, and took off the gloves from my hand, “...I met with Krystal.”

He frowned, “You did? How’d it goes?”

I chuckled dryly, “...bad.”

“Did you two talk?”

I nodded, “I shouldn’t have gone there. It’s opening up the old wounds.”

“Why did you go then?” He asked as he handed me his bottle that is frozen.

I straight away placed them on my cheekbone to treat the inflammation and limit the swelling. I hold it up and compressed it as I tried to withstand the pain.

“Papa Jung wanted to have dinner with me.”

“Are you sure that was the reason you go?” He asked again.

No.

***

The next day, I decided to go office after a few twists and turns and debate it on my bed. Entering the top floor, holding my tumbler in my left hand, and phone in the other, I swiftly made my way towards my office.

“Jo!” called out a voice, “Jo! I have something for you. Wait up!”

I quickly walk into my office, leaving her running behind me as I could hear her heel against the floor. Honestly, I just wanna come in – look into some papers – sign some, and then go home.

“Are you deaf?” She asked, just in time as I sat on my chair.

I sighed, “What is it, Ms. Johansson?”

“Ms. Johansson, huh?” Her right brows raised, eyes glaring at me, before frowning. “What happened to your face?”

“Huh? Oh, nothing.” I shrugged. “Boxing went wrong.”

“Hm,” Scarlett nodded, “Anyway, do you remember the Group that Donghae messes up with a year ago?”

I looked at her in confusion before slowly nodding with the name starting to resurface again at the back of my mind, “What about them?”

“Well – they, “Scarlett sighed, “Emailed me – you, an invitation to their Spring Collection in Seoul. Do you want to go?”

“That’s odd,” I answered. I haven’t heard from them – her, especially, for almost a year now and she resurfaced again?

“I know! Weird, right? I wonder what’s their agenda,” said Scarlett while focusing on her iPad. “So, what should I say?”

“Just inform them that I will be attending. If anything comes up, you can always cancel later and apologized.”

The day passed quickly and the sun already set in. I never thought the sunset in downtown LA is so breathtaking. I put on my black-colored Nike hoodie and black-colored Nike sports leggings, getting ready to jog, to sweat it all out after being the whole day in the office.

My half-day in the office has turned into a full day. I hate that. I always got lost whenever I was focused on something or whenever I have something on my mind. I start with stretching my lower body parts first before moving on to stretch my neck and upper body as I waited for my workout buddy.

“Hey, ready?”

I nodded and start setting up the timer on my watch before starting running. Both of us started to jog slowly at first before fastening up the pace as I followed his pace. I turned around the corner which leads us into a park where the elderly and some sports enthusiasts would work out during the morning, sometimes night. I hit his arms and signaled him to race me. Both of us started to sprint.

I run towards the exit with him trailing behind me. In a few more steps, I am confident that I could outrun him, but I am wrong. I stopped abruptly as I felt a sudden pain in my hamstring. I hopped as I slowly stop myself from running.

“You doing okay?”

“Dad,” I paused, bearing with the pain, “I think I pulled a muscle.”

He immediately elevates my left leg, trying to reduce the swelling. I cannot open my eyes because all the things I see are spinning. Probably because of the sudden stop I made. Dad placed my right arm on his shoulder, and we both started walking – well, I limped.

Dad sighed as he sat me down, “Does it still hurt?”

“A little.”

He sat down beside me, “Let’s rest for a while, and then we go home.”

***

The shower felt so nice tonight. I put on a black jumper and long pants before making my way down to the living room where Mom and Dad are watching TV.

“Have you eaten?”

I shook my head, “Can you cook me curry, mom? I’m hungry.”

Mom shook her head, and pinched my cheeks, “You spoilt brat.”

Maybe it was my tiredness or maybe it was my sleepless night, sitting on a couch inside my own home feels like a privilege now. Dad being dad, he’s spending his night watching the news.

“Hey, dad.”

“Hm?”

“What if I move to Seoul?”

He sat up, and looked at me, confused, “Of all places?”

“Well,” I trailed, trying to figure out the right words to say. “...Mom’s office is in Japan but I don’t think I like it there...”

“Hm?” He looked at me, and back at the news before standing up and walking over to his study room.

I sighed as I probably know what his answer going to be – no. I lay back down on the couch, scrolling and checking my Instagram account. I haven’t posted much recently but for sure, I haven’t deleted the photos from the past.

The photos of our engagements are still there, untouched. I can only smile and sighed when I saw how happy I was. Her presence made every day worth it when I had a bad day at work. Soo Jung was the only person I wanna talk to whenever something good or bad happened in my days.

But that was before.

Maybe something good did come out of it; I got close to my dad and I shared everything with and with him now. I’ve been spending time at home more and more and I get to know Mom more. I realized I’ve never been there for them like how they have been there for me.

Being the last child of three siblings has made the loved ones but also the one they put pressure on. They take care of me but that’s the thing; I just don’t know where it went wrong.

*RING*

I grabbed my phone from the table and was bewildered when I saw it was a call from an unknown number.

*RING*

“Hello?”

Amber?’

“I – yea? Who's this?”

Jessica. I, uh, we met before but I don't know if you remember me -'

“Oh, I remembered you.” Wait, what the am I saying?

You... remembered me?’

I hit my head softly as I was reminded of my stupidity. I should remain cool and unbothered but seems like I remembered her. Specifically, her. It’s like she never left my mind. It’s like her face is somewhere inside my memories cabinet and I knew where I keep her.

I coughed, trying to change the subject, “...How did you get my number, Jessica?”

Nick?’

“No, this is Amber?”

No, I meant – I got your number from Nick. Dork.’

“Oh.” I was lost for words as I was starting to get nervous. I could feel myself stop breathing, what is happening? “...The point of this phone call is?”

I sent you an invitation for the Blanc fashion show?

“Okay, what about it?”

I need to know if you’re coming.’

I walked over to the balcony and slid shut the sliding door. Something tells me that this is not the reason she calls. I would never call someone, especially some that is not close to me, and ask if they are coming.

Something tells me that, there’s more to the reason for this call – is not about the invitation to the Blanc fashion show. After all; a big corporation like that will not meddle with a small matter like this unless …

“...Tell me, Jessica. Do you miss me?” Wait, what? Where did that come from?

Huh?’

“For you to personally call me and asked; that’s outrageous, don’t you think? Especially for an heiress like you?”

Did Jessica Jung just make Amber Liu feels special?’

Her voice sounded softer and flirtatious than before.

I chuckled, “Depends.”

On?’

“Let’s just wait and see, shall we?”

I shut the calls and walked back inside. We have each other numbers now. Interesting. But she got my number from Nick, hmm… what if Nick will show up there? Why am I anxious about that now? But, on the other hand, I find myself wanting to hear her voice more and now that we are across the globe from each other – the wants are growing bigger.