Chapter Seven

What I Came To Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

···

 

Everyone met up in the cafeteria, and dinner was being served. Seulgi was sitting across from Irene. Taeyeon was next to Seulgi on her left while Wendy was on the other side next to Seulgi. And everyone else either sat next to Irene’s left side, or Wendy’s right side, leaving Taeyeon next to the wall.

“So.. Irene, Taeyeon.. What do you guys like to do? Or what do you like to eat?” Seulgi asked, turning her head to look at both of them. For the first time, she reached for Wendy’s hand and squeezed gently, letting her know to help her in situations like these because this wasn’t her specialty.

The uneasy feeling of being too awkward came back once again. Her forehead was beginning to layer with sweat.

Irene must’ve seen through her so she had finally answered for the first time (since she didn’t talk in the cabin), “I like to read –– especially in quiet, peaceful areas.” She showed a small smile.

And Seulgi’s heart skipped a few beats. She was able to hear the perfection of her voice again –– calm and soothing, not too loud, not too soft. The perfect pitch.

Seulgi closed her eyes as her answers echoed in her head.

“Seulgi, is there something wrong?” Wendy asked.

« This weird feeling again.. I should be reacting like this to Wendy, not to her! What am I doing? How do I stop myself from this? » Seulgi held her head all of a sudden.

“Yo, Seulgi.. Are you alright?” Amber asked.

Seulgi was experiencing vertigo, and every voice from different people that she heard around her was slurred and mixed together, so the words she perceived were unclear. She opened her eyes and realized that her vision was blurry. She leaned back a little to shake her head, hoping it would do something.

“Seul.. –– Seulgi!” Wendy gasped and screamed as Seulgi fell backward with her hand reaching out. Wendy’s scream grabbed everyone’s attention in the cafeteria, and the whole place went dead silent.

Before Seulgi’s head could hit the floor, Irene leaned forward promptly with one of her hands on the table and the other wrapped her fingers within Seulgi’s fingers –– since her hand was extended forward before she was fully unconscious.

As a normal person, holding someone by one hand with another hand to prevent them from falling should’ve been a hard task because it was full bodyweight against gravity, and you’re pulling onto a hand along with their full weight –– especially when they’ve fainted.

But Irene didn’t make it appear so. She stood up and swiftly stepped over the table to the other side and put Seulgi in her arms, and then she gently set her lying down on her back in open space.

“What’s going on!?” Jinri asked.

Irene bit her lips and furrowed her eyebrows while heavily examining Seulgi’s condition –– this is bad, she thought. Taeyeon was also watching intently, with her arms crossed.

The chaperones and people with authority of the school trip immediately ran there and took Seulgi to the outdoor school’s infirmary.

Unfortunately, that night, there was a heavy rainstorm and game night was canceled, ruining everyone’s hopes of having fun.

 

···

 

“Now what were the chances of having a thunderous rainstorm on this night?” Kyungsoo asked, “Everything seems so off. I heard about how Seulgi fainted or something during dinner.”

“Yeah, Irene was there too. Taeyeon was right next to Seulgi! I don’t know what she’s planning,” Chanyeol exclaimed, “I thought she ordered us to be careful and be on standby on her orders? Wasn’t Seulgi a threat?”

“Calm down. Maybe she has a plan in mind, finding her weaknesses and all,” Kai commented.

Of course, of everyone out of the six, Sehun was the most hesitant, “But she’s not one of us. Taeyeon could kill her any time! How could she be a threat? I was looking at them. I overheard them –– Seulgi was trying to strike a conversation between them..!”

“Why.. Just why, exactly, are you always the one who seems to be against us?” Suho questioned, “And the fact that you’re stuttering and hesitant bothers me. I don’t like it.”

Sehun frowned and took a step back, “I’m sorry.”

“It doesn’t matter to us what Taeyeon is thinking. If she didn’t tell us anything, then we don’t do anything. I am certain that she knows what she’s doing,” Baekhyun said, “I have faith in her.”

“She doesn’t need your faith,” Kai quipped, “Now stop obsessing over her.”

“By the way, I heard Tiffany’s coming back from the States in a few days. Good luck, Baekhyun –– though I don’t think you should get your hopes up,” Suho said casually.

“At this time?” Chanyeol asked.

“Taeyeon’s going to want to cling onto her and watch her carefully. You don’t know what she’s gone through, especially because it’s Tiffany…”

 

···

 

Seulgi opened her eyes slowly, regaining her consciousness and control over her body. Her vision was fuzzy for a moment, but after blinking a few times, she felt alright.

“You’re awake!” Wendy sounded relieved.

“How long have I been unconscious this time?” Seulgi asked right away.

“It’s been about 2 hours now. It’s 8:48 [PM] right now..” Wendy said, “There’s still a while until bedtime.”

“How come you aren’t at game night?”

“About that.. There’s a really bad rainstorm happening right now. I didn’t even know that up here would rain. I didn’t bring any rain gear!” Wendy made an exaggerated face.

Seulgi started chuckling, and then laughing harder, “You’re such a derp.”

Wendy smiled in return, “You finally smiled at me, at least.”

And then realizing what Wendy had said, Seulgi looked away with a feeling of warm cheeks.

« No.. But it doesn’t feel the same like before. Why..? » Seulgi thought.

She decided to change the topic, “Where’s everyone else?”

“They’re all in the cabin.”

“I see..”

Silence broke in between the two. Wendy sat there patiently, staring into space while Seulgi thought about her condition and how she was.

“Let’s go back to the cabin, I’m pretty sure I feel alright now,” Seulgi suggested.

“Okay, let me go check in with the nurse to tell her that you’ve woken up, and then we’ll head back.”

The rainstorm wasn’t getting any better. It was windy and freezing outside too.

“Hold on to me tight, Seulgi! I don’t want you slipping, so grip onto me! Really tight!” Wendy shouted. The wind was blowing strong against the duo. The cabin was just a few feet away. Then, the door opened right away, by Taeyeon, as if she could hear them from outside shouting.

“So Seulgi’s returned, I see. How are you feeling?” Taeyeon said, plainly. She put a hand over Seulgi’s forehead –– with Irene’s piercing gaze watching her intently. “You’re not experiencing a fever which is good. Especially in the weather that we’re experiencing now.”

Seulgi faced Taeyeon directly and grinned, “Thank you, and also thank you for opening the door so quick. I wonder how you knew we were outside, but thanks anyway.” She bowed.

Everyone watched with their mouth separated (except Irene), giving her the strange looks.

Is that how she expresses her gratitude towards her upperclassmen, or is she just trying to flatter me? Taeyeon thought.

Jinri whispered harshly, “Seulgi! Why are you bowing and thanking her like that? You don’t even need to do that much just to have doors open for you! You’re embarrassing us!”

“What? I don’t find it embarrassing at all. I just find it cute –– my cute, little underclassman to thank me like this..” Taeyeon smiled. She walked closer to Seulgi and patted her head. It was a bit unusual since.. Well. Seulgi was taller than Taeyeon.

Irene was still eyeing her carefully with icy glares. Taeyeon could feel her gaze piercing into her.

“Well, tomorrow’s the hike up the mountains right? I’m sure we’ll have fun. We’re all going to walk on the same trail together as a group, right? We should play a game maybe –– it’ll help break the awkwardness between us,” Seulgi smiled. She looked over at Wendy again, giving her the looks of asking for assistance.

“Seulgi’s right guys, c’mon, we should try to have some fun at least,” Wendy said, with her arms out.

But everyone else seemed unresponsive. They were on their beds, most looking at their phones through Instagram, and some were texting. The only one who was reading was Irene, doing something that she said she enjoyed back at the cafeteria.

“Thanks for ignoring us, guys,” Wendy sighed as she threw her arms down.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter