chapter 16

We Belong Together Forever

Ding dong…

 

 

I press the door bell that is placed beside the front gate of Jiyong’s house and I patiently wait for the door to be opened.

 

Somehow, I kind of feel nervous about meeting his mom. I don’t really know how to start a conversation or act around my friend’s mom. I’ve met a few of my friends’ mom back then but it was always awkward whenever their mom started talking to me. I didn’t know how to answer or what to answer. Well, except for Dara’s mom. She has been like a second mom for me now, she somehow always connects with teenagers and talking to her feels like talking to a friend who is on the same age like me instead of an older woman.

 

I don’t know why, but I feel like I need to make a good impression towards Jiyong’s mom. Thank God Dara used to give me some tips about that, it will be very useful for me. In addition, I also woke up extra early this morning to get ready so that I will have some time left to visit the convenience store. There is a convenience store one block away from my house so I decided to grab a few fruits that I can give to Jiyong’s mom.

 

 

After a while, I heard the front door of his house being unlocked and soon Jiyong comes out to open the gate for me.

 

“You’re early noona, and what do you have here?” he opened the gate and noticed that I’m holding a plastic bag.

 

“Oh, just some fruit I bought for your mom” I said.

 

“Wow, didn’t expect that to come from you noona” he chuckles and I slap his hand playfully.

 

“Come in, mom and Dami noona have been waiting for you”

 

When we both entered the house, he immediately brings me to the kitchen. I can see Dami unnie sitting at the dining table with some foods in front of her. There is also an older woman, whose face really resembles both Dami unnie and Jiyong. She’s standing in front of the stove, cooking something that smells really good, causing my stomach to rumble suddenly.

 

Dami unnie probably sensed our presence because she suddenly lifts her head up from her food and when she sees me, she immediately broke into a wide smile.

 

“Bommie!! You’re here! Mom, Bom is here!” she squeals happily while jumping out of her seat and walk towards me.

 

She gives me a warm hug before ushering me to the dining table to join her. Jiyong also joined us there, taking the seat in front of me.

 

“We’re just about to have brunch Bom and don’t worry, mom cooked a special dish for you” Dami unnie said.

 

“She prepared something with corns specially for you” Dami unnie whispered to my ears. I can feel that my stomach growls more upon hearing the word corn.

 

“Thank you unnie” I said to her with a wide smile.

 

“Oh, what did you bring here Bom?” Dami unnie spot the plastic bag that I brought and she peeked inside to see what it is.

 

“I brought some fruits for your mom unnie” I said.

 

“Whoa, you don’t really have to do that Bommie” she said.

 

“It’s okay, I insist” I smiled at her.

 

She then got up from her seat and took the fruits with her. She went to the sink and started to unpack the fruits so she can rinse them. Few minutes later, she came back with the fruits that has been placed into a fancy looking bowl.

 

“There, it looks so fresh” she said, while placing the bowl of fruits onto the table.

 

Not long after that, Jiyong’s mom approach us at the dining table while bringing more food for our brunch. She placed 3 more plates on the table which consist of omelets, sausages and some hand made sandwiches. She also brought a bowl of soup and from the smell of it, I immediately know that it is a corn soup.

 

“Whoa, it looks delicious mom” Dami unnie said.

 

“Mom, meet Bom noona” Jiyong said to his mom.

 

I immediately stand up from my seat and bow slightly to her.

 

“Hello aunty, I’m Bom. Nice to meet you and thank you for inviting me” I smiled at her.

 

“Hi Bom! I’m very excited to see you today. You’re very pretty just like Jiyong and Dami described you” she said excitedly. Her words caused me to slightly blush.

 

“I prepared a corn soup special for you, I heard you love corns” she said while sitting down besides Jiyong.

 

“Ah, you don’t really have to do that aunty, but thank you so much” I said.

 

“No problem Bom, come on let’s eat!” she said.

 

We begin eating our food and I must admit that everything Jiyong’s mom cooked are very delicious, especially the corn soup. I think it is the best corn soup I’ve ever tasted! It has been a long time since I last eaten a home-cooked meal and I’m very happy that I get the chance to taste it again. Jiyong’s mom sure has an amazing cooking skill.

 

*****

After we finished our brunch, I helped Jiyong’s mom to clean up. Jiyong and Dami unnie also helped her. Me and Jiyong are in charge of cleaning the table and storing the left over foods into the fridge so it can be eaten again. Meanwhile Dami unnie is in charge of washing the dishes.

 

Because of the teamwork, we managed to finish cleaning up the kitchen and the dining table within less than 15 minutes. Jiyong’s mom said she will be going to her room first to do her work, so we decided to spend the day watching TV together in the living room. We also talked about a lot of things, and by a lot I mean we literally spend most of the time talking rather than paying attention to what’s playing on the TV.

 

Dami unnie did the most talking here as she told us many stories in her college and when she’s abroad. She told us the hardship she felt trying to adjust to the new situation when she first arrived there. She also gives us a few tips about living abroad and how to survive in college if we’re planning to continue college abroad, especially me because I’m going to graduate soon.

 

Besides that, she also told us about her friends there and how she took a part time job there and many more. Then, our topic changes into talking about Jiyong’s childhood. Dami unnie told many embarrassing stories about Jiyong which I find it cute. She constantly teases him and he would try to deny it while hiding his embarrassment. I laughed a lot today because of them.

 

 

“Snack time!!” Jiyong’s mom suddenly appear in the living room while bringing us a tray full of snacks and few cans of coke.

 

“Whoa, thanks mom!” Jiyong said happily when he sees the snacks.

 

I also thanked his mom for bringing us this many snacks which most of them are my favorites. She even brings a bag of corn chips.

 

“Enjoy kids” she said before leaving the living room.

 

We continued chilling in the living room while munching on our snacks. This time, running man is showing on the TV so we decided to watch it since all of us love that variety show. The show is always so funny which cause us to laugh nonstop since the beginning of the show.

 

I’m probably too drowned into the show that I didn’t realize my coke is already empty. I feel that my throat is a little bit hoarse because of the chips so I decided to get some water from the kitchen.

 

“Ji, I’m going to get some water” I said and he nodded.

 

I stand up from the couch to go to the kitchen. Dami unnie is too immersed into the show that she didn’t even realize I passed by in front of her. As I approached the kitchen, the sound of their laughter and the sound of the TV started to fade away a little bit. The kitchen is very quite since nobody is there, there is also no sign of Jiyong’s mom. I wonder what she’s doing though…

I took a cup from the kitchen cabinet and fill it with water. After drinking it, my throat feels much better. After putting the cup into the sink, I head back to the living room. But as I passed the glass door that separates the house and the back garden, I can see that Jiyong’s mom is there, gardening. I smiled as I remember that those flowers that blooms beautifully on the flower beds are her precious little babies. Suddenly, the thought of helping her gardening hits me and I decided to approach her.

 

*****

“Can I help you, aunty?” I asked and she turns around to see me. She smiled warmly at me, the kind of smile that a loving mother would give to her beloved child.

 

“Yes sure Bommie, I could use a helping hand here” she chuckles.

 

“What can I help you with?” I asked.

 

“You can help me water those flowers over there dear. I’ve just planted new seeds too there so please water it well” she said while pointing towards the flowers that she means.

 

“Alright aunty, you can count on me!”

 

I went to the small storage room at the corner of the garden where the gardening tools are stored and picked up the watering can. I still remember what Jiyong taught me about watering flowers, so I will be fine. I filled the watering can with just the right amount of volume so that the water will not spill out from the big hole on top of the watering can later. I carried the watering can, which is now quite heavy because of the water, back to the flower beds and starts watering the flowers.

 

“By the way, your cooking is amazing aunty. I love it! I missed eating home-cooked food like that” I compliments her.

 

“Really? Thank you so much dear and thank you for the fruits” she smiled. “Can you cook?”

 

“Well, I cooked a lot of pastas. But I can cook a few Korean dishes too, my maid used to teach me” I said.

 

“Oh, I love pastas! And I can teach you how to cook home-cooked dishes like that the next time I see you again, since I have to leave tomorrow” she offered.

 

“Really? I would love to! I’ll look forward to it” I smiled.

 

I continue watering the flowers until all flowers are watered, making sure I didn’t miss any of it. I did it just like how Jiyong taught me before and I successfully watered these flowers.

 

“I’m done!” I said as I put down the watering can.

 

Jiyong’s mom approached me and she looked at the flowers, trying to check whether I watered it correctly or not.

 

“You did a great job Bom. Jiyong must have taught you well” she smiled.

 

“You knew that Jiyong taught me?” I asked, a little bit surprised.

 

“Of course! He told me a lot of things about you” she said.

 

Jiyong told his mother about me too…? I thought as I remembered that Dami unnie said he told her about me too.

 

“What did he tell you, aunty?” I asked.

 

“Curious eh?” she chuckles. “Well, one day he told me about this girl named Park Bom, his senior in his new school and also his partner in the music class’s project. He even describes how you look, how cold you are the first time he met you and many more”.

 

“He told me lots of things about you that it started to make me curious about you. Moreover, when he told me that he let you help him taking care of these flowers, I knew that I need to meet this girl soon”.

 

“You know, you’re a lucky girl Bommie, Jiyong never lets anyone help him gardening especially when he knew that I, personally don’t really like it when other people touches my flowers. But somehow, the idea of you helping him didn’t bother me at all, it makes me more curious and eager to meet you. That is why I invited you today and I’m looking forward to spend more time with you Bom” she smiled at me and I smile back.

 

“Really? He told you all that?” I said.

 

“Yes dear, and you must have been special for him that he let you take care of my flowers. Well, at least after her” she said while starting to continue her work.

 

Her?” I asked, curiously.

 

“Well, it’s not my position to tell you Bommie. You should ask him, I’m sure he’s willing to tell you” she said.

 

After hearing that, I found myself drowned in curiosity about this significant female that his mom mentioned just now. But I quickly shook off that thought, I don’t want to intervene about his past. Unless he is willing to tell me about it himself.

 

“Anything else I can help you with aunty?” I asked.

 

“Hmm, let me see…” she stopped her work and look around. “There, you can help me sweep those dry leaves and pile them up into one”.

 

I went back to the storage room to pick up the leaf rake that I will be using to gather those dry leaves.

 

I started gathering as much dry leaves as possible and pile them up together, forming several small hills of dry leaves. To my surprise, the dry leaves are quite many and I managed to form about five or more small hills of dry leaves.

 

“Phew…” I exhaled while wiping the beads of sweat on my forehead with the back of my palm.

 

“You’re done Bom?” Jiyong’s mom said and I nodded.

 

“Alright, you can go rest dear. I’ll make you a glass of juice to freshen you up again” she smiled.

 

Just when Jiyong’s mom is about to walk back inside, Jiyong showed up.

 

“There you are. You said you wanted to get some water but you never come back” he pouts.

 

“Aigoo my son, Bommie have been helping me doing some gardening” she chuckles. “Go accompany her, I’ll make juices for both of you” she said while patting Jiyong’s shoulder. Then, she heads back inside the house.

 

I walked towards my favorite swing in the garden and sit there, relaxing myself. Jiyong also joined me, sitting on the empty swing besides me.

There’s a good silence between both of us and I don’t know why but I like his presence here accompanying me. I swing back and forth while enjoying myself, there are a few dry leaves falling on the ground again even after I gather them.

 

I looked up at the big tree above us and I can see that most of the leaves started to turn brownish color. Some of them are even too fragile to hold onto the branch and as the wind blows, they will break from the branch that is holding it. I can even hear some of the leaves breaking, it sounds like a crispy chip being stepped by someone. The wind causes them to fly around in random directions for a while before finally touching the ground.

 

Autumn season is here already… My favorite season besides spring! I feel a sudden happiness in my heart.

 

“You’re smiling”

 

I turned my head and looked at Jiyong.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’re smiling just now noona” he smiled sweetly at me.

 

“Is there any problem if I'm smiling?” I replied.

 

“Nope, but your smile just now is different from those fake smiles you always gave people. It looks like you’re really smiling from your heart” he said.

 

I was taken aback by his words. No one has ever realized my fake smiles. I thought I fake it so well?

 

“Noona??” he waved his hand in front of my face.

 

“Yeah…? Sorry I was spacing out Ji” I should really get rid of my spacing out habit.

 

“You know noona, you look pretty when you smile like that” he’s now looking at the cloudy sky.

 

“Yah, stop lying…” I said, trying my best to hide the fact that I blushed.

 

“I’m not lying okay,” he said. “Well, except the fact that you’re cold sometimes and not to mention, cruel too” he chuckles.

 

“Hul! I might be cold but I'm not cruel okay. If you know me, I'm the nicest person anyone ever met” I pout.

 

Not accepting being teased by him, an idea for payback suddenly popped up inside my head and I can feel myself laughing evilly inside. I turned my head to face him and immediately starts to act. I put on a shock face as if I’ve seen a terrible horror sight in front of me.

 

“J-ji…” I said slowly, pretending to stutter.

 

“Hm? What is it noona?” he faces me.

 

“Um… t-there’s something…” I said.

 

“What? What do you mean?” I can sense that he’s getting uncomfortable with my act.

 

“There’s something on your…”

 

“What something? Tell me!” he started to shake his body frantically, trying to shake off that ‘something’ I told him.

 

“There’s a grasshopper on your shoulder”

 

There, I’ve said it. Few words that can send this guy into a panic mode where he would jump around, shaking his body like a crazy person while screaming like a girl. Trying to shake off the grasshopper that wasn’t even there in the first place.

 

Unable to hold my laugh anymore, I burst out laughing. And that’s when he realized that he has been pranked by me and he has gone completely ridiculous a minute ago. I quickly run a little bit further away from him while still laughing.

 

“That’s payback for calling me cruel right there!” I shouted while sticking out my tongue at him.

 

After a few seconds, I stopped laughing and stare at him. He’s staring back at me with a killer look on his face, as if he is a lion who is ready to pounce at his prey.

 

“O-ow…” that moment, I know I’m in deep trouble for awaking the beast inside of him.

 

“Run!!” I shouted while running away again from him.

 

“Yah! Come back here!” he immediately chases after me.

 

We are now running around his garden like little kids. I can’t stop myself from laughing happily while running away from him. I totally feel like being a 5 years old kid again.

 

“Catch me if you can!” I stick out my tongue again at him, still trying to run away from him.

 

He keeps on chasing me and probably wouldn’t stop before finally catching me.

 

I started feeling breathless from running around, escaping him. I can feel my legs are getting tired and I started panting.

 

Dammit, why does this garden have to be this big? I cursed inside my head.

 

Soon, my running speed starts to decrease and I know it’s not a good sign because suddenly I felt him catching me from behind by back hugging me. But due to him running in such a fast speed, he bumped into me pretty hard and we both lose our balance. We fall onto the ground and landed right on top of the piles of dry leaves that I’ve gathered earlier. It feels like landing on top of a pile of feather. The pile of dry leaves burst out like a bomb as we landed on top of it, causing the leaves to fly upwards and scattered around again. I’ve just finished gathering all the leaves and now we’re creating a mess again.

 

But instead of cleaning up the mess, we stay there lying on top of the scattered leaves as we are both panting hard. I burst out laughing again at our silliness which Jiyong then joins my laughter. We both lie down there for another minute, staring at the sky while still trying to control our breathing.

 

I turned to my left side, intending to get up but instead, I was greeted by Jiyong’s face which is only a few inch from mine…

 

He was already staring at me and I don’t even know that we lie down so close next to each other…

 

“I love it when you laugh happily like that noona” he smiled sweetly at me. The kind of smile that would melt anyone who sees it.

 

He then brought one of his hand up to my face and caress my cheek softly… Once again, I found myself being hypnotized by his stare. His gaze is pulling me deeper into his eyes and I feel like I’m paralyzed, I couldn’t even move an inch.

 

“What are you-“

 

 

“Yah! Love birds! Juices are ready now, come back inside and help us cook dinner!” I heard Dami unnie yelled suddenly. I didn’t even get the chance to finish my words.

 

I break away from his stare and immediately get up to dust off some leaves from myself.

 

“We’re coming!” I yelled back.

 

I saw Jiyong getting up too and dusting off some leaves from his body. I noticed that he missed one leaf that has been stuck on his hair, so I helped taking it off.

 

“Thanks” he said.

 

“You’re welcome and let’s get inside” I said.

 

We both walk back into the house, leaving the mess we created in the garden. I spend the rest of the day in Jiyong’s house, helping Dami unnie and Jiyong’s mom to prepare for dinner. I stayed for dinner with them and the foods are amazing. There are many different types of dishes that are being served on the dining table, each and every one of them will make you drool by just seeing it.

 

Jiyong’s mom is sure a great cook and she is also very friendly. I can feel the warmness of a loving mother every time she’s around, that feeling I hardly get from my own mom since she’s always busy with work. She took a very good care of her children even though she’s busy and she definitely love them very much. I really look forward to spend more time with Jiyong’s mom.

 

----------------

New update is finally here! Sorry i took so long to update guys :(

Also, check out my new fanfiction "Not Enough for You" if you haven't

Don't forget to leave a comment and subscribe!