No Boyfriend?

Between the Lines

Irene’s POV

 

Kang Seulgi.

 

When you entered the company, she's one of the few friendly faces that welcomed you.  How could you forget, those pair of eyes, you've seen that look before, the same as ones before her, you've been used to that look. Curious? Fascinated?

Timid as you were with your accent, you put up a cold impression. Aloof, even, but Kang Seulgi's curious eyes broke into an eyesmile, and you think you've forgotten to breathe for a second.

Ancestor Trainee. She's young but she's been here way longer than you. The fellow trainees look up to her like she's superior, but Kang Seulgi, remained as humble as she could be, too bad you are not on her circle of friends, she's way out of your league, she prefers to hang-out with that girl Seungyeon, and you've got a boyfriend to fetch you after training anyway.

There were rumors flying around that Seulgi never had a boyfriend, you did not give it a single thought because that's impossible. Pretty Seulgi. Kind-hearted Seulgi. It wouldn't be hard to fall for her, and maybe she has lots of admirers, like you did at school.

There was one incident when Seulgi caught you clinging unto him as you both were walking home, you thought you caught that blush on her cheeks as she gave a bow, as she wordlessly smiled and walked away, you caught yourself clinging on to your boyfriend a bit tighter than usual and you don't know why.

When you were finally put into the same team as her, you figured out her quirks, she's really friendly, childish even, a trait you wouldn't believe as you've always thought she has this aura of being a hardworking, determined ancestor that others easily look up to, not that she's less hardworking nor less determined, she's just..how to describe her? Funny? Odd? She has these quirks that would make you laugh, no wonder Seungyeon finds it very comfortable to be around her. She always make it to a point that she would treat Seulgi like a baby and you bit your lip thinking, yeah I can do that too, if given a chance. Who could resist a cute Seulgi?

Sometimes, you’d think, if you could live her life for just a day, you would breathe thinking everything is beautiful. Maybe, just maybe in Seulgi's eyes everything in this world is beautiful, and it is a very comforting feeling, she might be a bit childish, but that innocence is what makes Seulgi... Enthralling? Like, it's Seulgi's nature to be good and see the good in life and yet you wonder why it's hard for her to be alone with you without feeling shy, let alone talk to you without Seungyeon by her side. Honestly, it is frustrating, you might be imagining that you are appalling enough for her, you even voiced this out to your boyfriend and he just laughed it off. Oh, Silly Joohyun.          

You thought it was awkward when things were awkward between you two, it's funny that outside the four walls of the training room, she has her life to live and you've got yours too, so it can never reach to that level where it's comfortable to call her as a close friend, maybe a fellow trainee.

But then, Seungyeon left. To say that Seulgi is a shell of herself was an understatement. You tried hard to be the best person you could be for her, to be with her, even if you knew you could never be half as good as Seungyeon, you can never replace her in Seulgi's life. There can only be one Seungyeon, and you are Joohyun. You wished to be the only Joohyun in Seulgi's life from then on.

You smile at the thought that she almost gave up on her dreams but here she is, with you, finally about to reach both of your dreams to debut. Funny how things took turn, when you can confidently say that Seulgi is 100% okay, the company imposed that you'd broke up with your boyfriend. It was never a secret to everyone anyway, but you least expected them to meddle with your personal life at this level.

It's just a boy, you can find another boy in your life someday, you kept the pain to yourself but Seulgi, she tried, she really tried to comfort you in the most awkward way and you let out a laugh at how ridiculous it is.

"Since how did you know about mending broken hearts?" you caught yourself whispering, you're not even drunk at this point, and you thought you've sobered up and she blushed: "What do you mean?"

"It's just that I've heard rumors around. You've never been in a relationship before?" You asked, your gaze lingered at her and she just gave a meek response.

"Never... B..But that doesn't mean I can't give an advice!" She instantly defended herself and you find it cute as she tried to reason out.

 

"Right."

 

*

 

That was years ago and you smiled at the memory. Here you are two years after debut, living in the same roof, maybe a bit awkward than ever but at least you knew you both can get on each other's nerves and already knew each other's quirks like the back of your hands. Maybe you've been as guarded as ever but maybe it's the same thing for her, she might hang out with lots of her friends and goes out too much but you knew she has this nagging fear of getting too attached, in case the person leaves.

Whether she dated, you wouldn't know, it's her life anyway, as for you, it never crossed your mind even once since that breakup.

You can never really explain how she would flinch whenever you tried to initiate skinship, when she's too comfortable with Yeri hanging on to her, even to the point of Wendy and Joy whom she can easily hug and fool around. Maybe that's Seulgi being Seulgi but you can never learn to live with that fact, sometimes.

*

"Soojung drifted away because she misinterpreted my actions, she thought I like her that way and she confessed, and... and  up to this day I still felt guilty about that... " Seulgi muttered one night and Yerim was listening intently.

"Okay, so what about Seungyeon?" Wendy asked and you heard Seulgi whine:"You all know she's just a friend."             

"Okay what about, Joohyun unnie!??" Joy loudly asked and Yerim covered but you heard the whole room erupted in laughter and teasing poor Seulgi.

 

You did not mean to hear the conversation and yet you giggle to yourself, Seulgi is really one of a kind.

*

Since then you've been extra aware of her actions but she's just acting like her usual awkward self towards you since day one. You caught yourself gazing a bit longer than usual and she would just shyly look away and when it's her turn to gaze at you, you'd pretend that you are not sensing the gesture. You even made a bet with yourself on whether she would have the courage to hold your hand and you find yourself losing. Losing to oneself is definitely not a fun game to play. It was in fact, very narcissistic of you to assume that way about Seulgi, and you'll never be in the same fate as Soojung.

 

*

 

But one night, when both of you happen to be alone and you've got the courage to ask her: "Hey Seulgi... Have you been in a relationship, since the last time I asked?"

 

"Huh?" Seulgi frowned. "Never."

 

"How can someone like you never fell in love?" You asked and you held your breath.

 

She smiled with that knowing smile of hers, looked in your eyes and said with all her sincerity: "I said I've never been in a relationship, I didn't say I've never fell in love."

 

Now, you caught yourself smiling back, because you knew.        

               

               

 

 

 

AN: Huh, it's been a while, I am supposed to update Spell, but ended up writing this, uhhh this was inspired by some image I caught off the web^^

 

Follow me on twitter, I am a part time shibe -> @seventhree65