Stop Messing With My Heart

The Final Lullaby (4th Book of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

 

Lia went inside her room and found Seung Ri sitting on her study table on his laptop. “Hey, handsome,” she said to him brightly.

He looked up. “Hey.”

Why does he sound so monotonous? She frowned, walking up to him. She hugged him from behind. She gave him a peck on his cheek. “You’re going to be a father, Maknae Oppa,” she tried again.

He just grunted. Then he turned around to face her. He pulled her on his lap and kissed her, one hand on her waist, the other in his hair to give more support. Lia was startled by this but she kissed him back. She felt his tongue entering . She was confused. Why is he acting like this? But she had to admit, she liked it. She felt safe in his arms.

Seung Ri was kissing her so passionately because he wanted to let her know that he loves her and how much he cares for her. He wanted her to love him more than Ji Yong. He moved his lips to her jawbone. “Lia, I love you,” he said.

She moaned softly and she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling his close. She was getting high by his strong cologne. He kissed her on the shoulder. His heart ache with pain as she said, “I love you.”

But you love him more.

He carried her up and set her down gently on the bed. He lied down next to her, kissing her. “I love you, Lia,” he murmured. “You’re mine. Forever.”

Lia pulled back a bit to smile adoringly at him. Yes, she does love the maknae. And being with him now, seeing his handsome face, it takes her breath away, literally. She closed her eyes and kissed him again.

Ji Yong’s face appeared in her mind.

She cried out, pulling back again. Seung Ri’s eyes went wide with surprise and she hid her face in shame. “What’s the matter, babe?” he asked her worriedly.

She shook her head. He looked away. She didn’t need to say it to let him know that she was thinking about Ji Yong once again. It was clearly written all over her face. He sighed, feeling hurt. She is with him yet her heart is with someone else. What good is that for the baby? Lia looked at him and was overwhelmed with guilt. “I’m sorry,” she said in a small voice.

Seung Ri just shrugged coldly. He got up to turn the lights off and came back to bed. “Let’s sleep,” he muttered, pulling the blankets over them to keep warm. “It’s late.” He turned his back to her and closed his eyes.

Lia snuggled behind him, placing a palm on his back. She pressed her forehead against his cool back. She kissed him there softly as she clutched his shirt in her hand into a fist. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered in the dark.

 

Over the next few weeks Seung Ri has been acting cold toward Lia. She was hurt and very confused but she hid it from TOP. She hid it from everyone. She didn’t want to burden them.

But Tae Yang noticed her down spirited behavior and decided to approach her around it. “Are you okay?” he asked her one day. It was during their break time at YG building.

She looked up at him and smiled. “Oh! Yea, I’m fine,” she blabbered. She smiled ruefully, patting her now growing, bulging belly. “I am not going to get pregnant ever again. It’s just too tiring.”

He chuckled softly. He could tell that she was lying but if she didn’t want to tell him, he was not going to push her. “I see. Don’t wear yourself thin, arraso?” He kissed her gently on the forehead before he walked off.

Ji Yong came and sat down next to her. “Why is Maknae ignoring you?” he asked her bluntly.

Wow, subtle much?, she thought dryly. “He isn’t ignoring me,” she lied to him. “He is just tired because of all the preparations for your concert.”

He sighed. “You are a terrible liar,” he said sardonically. “I know when something is not right, Bubbles. Do not try to lie to me again.”

She shook her head. “I’m not lying, oppa,” she insisted even though she is. “Maknae Oppa is just tired and stressed out. I don’t go up to him because I don’t want to worry him further with the baby. I’m fine.”

Ji Yong knew very well that she was lying but he did not press on. “Okay then,” he finally said doubtfully. “I’m here if you want someone to talk to. I’m still your best friend, don’t you forget that.”

She smiled at him. “I know. Gomawo.”

He went to Tae Yang. Occasionally he will look back at her. She smiled, touched by his thoughtfulness. It actually cheered her up for awhile. Seung Ri saw everything and scowled. He went up to her, plunking himself next to her on the bench.

Lia gave him a bottle of water. “Here, you must be tired.” She took a most tissue out and began to dab his sweat away.

Out of the corner of his eyes, Seung Ri saw that Ji Yong was watching the two of them rather intently. He smirked. He knew that his leader was jealous. He felt a bit better as he took a big sip of water. He handed the bottle back to her.

“Better?”

He just gave her a non-committal shrug. He saw her biting her lower lip as she looked down, obviously stung by his cold actions. He momentarily felt bad but he was still hurt and betrayed by what she said to Ji Yong the other night. “How are you feeling?” he asked her.

She seemed surprised and a bit happy. “Oh, I’m fine,” she replied. He looked at her hard and she smiled sheepishly at him. “Okay, fine, I’m tired,” she admitted, “but it’s no big deal. I can manage it.” She tried to laugh it off.

He kissed her on the stomach. “How’s my baby?” he cooed.

Oh.

Right. Obviously he cares more about his child than her. Lia mentally smacked herself for being so stupid. She felt tears coming but she blinked it away. She must not cry in front of him. It’ll only show weakness in his eyes. She must be strong. She will not cry.

He stood up, extending a hand to her. He pulled her up. “Let’s go home,” he suggested.

“Eh, wae?” Lia blurted out. “But you are not done with your practices just yet! You have so much to prepare!”

He shrugged. “I want my baby to be strong and healthy when he or she is born,” Seung Ri replied. “So that means you should go back home and take plenty of rest instead of being in this sweaty environment.”

He still sounded cold but at least he was being caring. Sort of. Lia let him take her home. The drive back was awkward and silent. His face was hard and he kept his eyes on the road. Lia felt like crying. She didn’t let it show but he knew she was hurt. He wanted to kiss her, to hold her, but couldn’t. He was hurt too.

When they reached home, he took her up the stairs slowly. Her stomach really was huge. Lia got to her room and he kissed her stomach again. He walked out of the room and came back minutes later with a big packet of cereal bars. Lia craved a lot for it so he bought a huge packet especially for her.

Lia beamed at him. “Yay! Cereal bar!” she exclaimed like a little girl.

He chuckled softly as he watched his small-sized girlfriend munch on the snack. Rice bubbles cereal bar was her favorite. He stood up. “Take a lot of rest. I have to go back now. I’ll be back by dinner.”

“Okay.”

He hesitated at her doorway before walking out. “Call me if you need anything!”

A few moments later Lia heard the front door slam. She frowned. Seung Ri left without giving her a goodbye kiss. A lump came to . Does he hate her now?

King, no longer a little puppy and was now more of a guard dog, slipped into her room. He jumped on her bed and sat down beside her like a protective guard dog. She wrapped her arms around his neck and sobbed.

Day by day she’s losing her boyfriend and it hurt so badly. She needed him but he was pushing her away. She cried, letting all of her frustrations out finally.

And the tears . . . she couldn’t stop these tears from flowing. They came pouring out like the raging, rapid water in a river, flowing out like a flood, impossible to stop. Why does her chest hurt so much? It was like a wave of blackness had overwhelmed her. She couldn’t move. She couldn’t breathe.

She felt as though she’d died.

Once her sobs died down, she grabbed her phone and dialed a number. She brought the phone to her ear, listening to the ring tone as she waited for him to pick up.

“Yeobasaeyo? Lia, is everything okay?”

“Maknae Oppa, can you come home?”

“Wae? I just got back to YG. Is something wrong with the baby?”

“Nothing’s wrong with the baby. I just want to be with you. You said to call if I need anything, right?” She tried to laugh it off, make it seem like a joke. “I need you.”

At the other end of the receiver, she heard Seung Ri sighed and her heart dropped with disappointment. “Lia, I have a lot of things to prepare for the concert and you know that. I cannot just come home because you want to spend time with me,” he snapped impatiently and she flinched. He winced. That came out a lot sharper than he intended.

“I — I know. I just thought maybe . . .” She trailed off and an awkward silent replaced her voice. Lia felt like crying again. “It’s okay. Never mind. Sorry to bother you.” She hung up without saying goodbye.

 

At the YG building, Seung Ri found his hyungs staring at him once he hung up. He shrugged. “Lia wanted me to go home to her,” he explained.

Dae Sung frowned at him. “Okay, so why are you still here?” he asked.

It was the maknae’s turn to frown. “I can’t just go home whenever I feel like it. I have to stay and help prepare, right? We still have lots of things to do.”

TOP sighed exasperatedly. “Maknae, when was the last time you and Mei actually spent time together?” he asked.

“At nights when we go to sleep,” he shot back heatedly.

“Do you guys talk before falling asleep or do you just get in bed and sleep?” Ji Yong wanted to know.

“Sleep.” Seung Ri’s frown deepened. What is this, Twenty Questions?

“Go back home to Lia,” Tae Yang advised him. “I think she needs you and you should go. She needs you.”

He shook his head stubbornly. “I cannot just leave.”

“Maknae, your pregnant girlfriend wants you home,” Ji Yong said, emphasizing on the word ‘pregnant’.

“What’s going on?” a voice demanded.