An Anger Replaced By Another

The Final Lullaby (4th Book of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

 

Mark wasn’t paying attention to them so he didn’t hear what they said. He glanced over at Lia, who was frowning. Tae Yang had his arms around her shoulders and he looked as though he was comforting her. Then he saw Dae Sung pinching her cheeks with that big smile on his face, pointing at TOP. Lia smiled and giggled as Ji Yong ruffled her hair, smiling down at her. Seung Ri pulled her to him, said something in her ear that made her blush so TOP glared at the maknae, arms folded across his chest. He said something to him to which Mark heard Lia saying, “Yeesh, Oppa, why are you protective?”

He sighed. Yes, they were being replaced. He could see it in them. When he see them, he sees NMD.

Tae Yang comforted Lia like how Dylan did before. Dylan used to comfort her whenever she was upset. He’s always there with lots of encouraging words, being patient with her.

Dae Sung was now Lia’s pranking partner and Mark didn’t like it because he and Ned used to be her pranking partners. The three of them would play pranks on unsuspecting and usually angry victims, not caring if they got into trouble as long as they had a blast. Once in a while they play pranks on each other. Mark had a feeling Lia and Dae Sung play pranks on each other too.

Seung Ri reminded Mark of Tyler McGuire, a guy who always hit on girls. He used to hit on Lia, used to flirt with her and tried to get with her, but Lia always had a witty remark to reject him. But of course with Seung Ri she was just joking. Tyler McGuire eventually went to look for other girls.

But seeing her and Ji Yong hurt the most. From what he remembered Lia telling them, Ji Yong was her best friend. Mark used to be her best friend. He used to know her better than anyone else. He used to be able to tell when she was upset, even when she tries to hide it. He knew what she was thinking without her saying it aloud. He knew all her secrets, fears, dreams and hopes. But now Ji Yong is the one who knows everything about her. Ji Yong is the one who knows all her ways. Mark felt as though he doesn’t know who she is anymore.

And lastly, TOP reminded Mark of Ned, who is very overprotective — more protective than Mark is. He always wanted her to be safe, be happy, and he cared for her a lot.

“Mark? Earth to Mark!” Ned snapped his fingers impatiently in front of him. “What’s with the fish lips?”

Ned had spoken a little too loud that Lia heard his remark. She glanced over at them, frowning. “Fish lips?” she repeated and Big Bang all snickered. “You only make that face when you’re displeased with something.”

“You got that right, I do,” he said in a very nasty tone and she flinched. Ned was shaking his head and Dylan tried to pull him back but he shrugged his hands off roughly. “Have you forgotten about us? I never even heard from you once ever since you left and it’s been year and a bit already. Oh, you must have thought that we don’t exist in your life anymore, that we’re not important enough. And then you go and replace us with these celebrities. Who are you, Lia? I don’t know who you are anymore.” He took a step closer to her.

But the members of Big Bang were faster and they soon stood in front of Lia, blocking his view of her. They looked angry and since they were so tall, they towered over him. They were fired up to defend her.

“Hurt Lia with your words again and we will not hesitate to ask the President to send you back home,” Seung Ri snarled at him.

“Lia has done nothing wrong. She came to live her on her own free will and you shouldn’t hate her because of that but rather be happy that she is happy,” Tae yang chimed in.

“My baby sister is very precious to us,” TOP went on, “so we will do anything in any lengths to protect her and make sure that she is happy.”

“You’re mad and you’re jealous she chose us over you. I get it, but you should at least hear her side of the story before jumping into conclusions,” Dae Sung added. “It isn’t fair to judge by your own bias thoughts.”

“Go ahead and try to get to her,” Ji Yong spoke up, “but if you want to hurt her, you are going to have to go through the five of us first. And we are not going to give in without a fight.”

Mark was stunned. He knew that Big Bang cared about Lia but he didn’t think that they would care about her this much. And it wasn’t fair. Five against one isn’t a fair fight. So he turned helplessly to his friends only to see them shaking their heads, folding their arms across their chests. No way are they helping him. They agreed with everything Big Bang said. They couldn’t have put it in better words. He deserved to be left alone, drowning in the deepest part of the pool. They abandoned him in his time of selfish need.

Lia made her way to Mark, squeezing in through the gaps. She stood squarely in front of him and he was shock to see a sad look in her eyes. He felt bad. No matter how angry he felt, it always pained him to see this kind of expression on her pretty face, especially if it was his fault.

“If you’re unhappy, then leave.”

“Lia . . .”

She broke down and sobbed. “Why can’t you see how happy I am, living here, Mark?” she asked. “I told you many times before I met them that I always felt empty, as though there is something that’s missing. YG Family is what is missing. I’m meant to be here. I’m meant to be with Big Bang and everyone here. Maybe that’s why I like it here better. It’s because I belong here.” She shook her head. “You don’t know how terrible I felt when I was thinking about staying or leaving. I knew no matter what decision I make, it will hurt people. But you know what? I don’t regret the decision I made. I love being here.”

Mark was speechless. He had no idea. No, actually, he had inkling feelings about it but he never really thought about it through about what she must have been feeling. He was too busy by thinking about how he felt instead.

Lia began to make her way out to the door. Big Bang started to follow but stopped when she said, “No, don’t follow me. I want to be left alone for awhile.” She ran out of the room.

Ji Yong and Seung Ri exchanged glances. Ji Yong nodded and the maknae chased after her. Nobody stopped him. He ran out to the lifts, quickly pressing the button just as the doors closed. The lift sprang opened, revealing a very upset and crying Lia. He rushed in, wrapping his arms around her. He kissed her forehead, holding her in a tight embrace.

“I’m here,” he whispered to her. “Uljima. Don’t cry.”

 

A few weeks had passed and Lia ignored Mark while he was still in Korea. Finally the day Dylan makes up his mind on whether he wants to stay or not arrived. He was feeling nervous but he knew he had made the correct decision.

He was in the room when he heard a soft knock on the door. “Uh, come in!” he called, thinking it was his uncle.

Mark came in instead. “Hey, can I talk to you for a while?” he asked.

Dylan glanced up. “Hi. Yeah, sure. What’s up?” he said, gesturing for his friend to sit.

Mark nervously sat down on the edge of his bed. He took a deep breath. “Look, I just want to say that no matter what happens, no matter what decision you make, I will support you all the way,” he said, his voice shaking a little. “And I’m really sorry if I had been a pain in the .”

His words had taken Dylan completely by surprise. He did not expect it. Mark was a very proud person and it was hard for him to admit his mistakes. So that’s why he was apologizing now.

Dylan nodded. He knew it must have taken a lot of effort for Mark to apologize so he just smiled at him and patted his back. “I forgive you,” he told him. “But you do know that it’s not me you should be apologizing to?”

Mark nodded. “I know. I just want to let you know that I won’t be mad,” he replied. “Do you think Lia is going to be at YG today?” he asked worriedly.

“Probably. I don’t know. She’s tired, after all.” He shrugged just as Ned strolled in.

“Uh, Dylan, your uncle is asking if you are ready to go to YG,” he said. He fiddled with his shirt. He was just as nervous as Dylan. Is this goodbye?

Dylan nodded bravely. “Well, let’s go,” he said and the three of them trooped down to the living room where the President was waiting for them. Then they were on their way to the YG building.

They got out and made a beeline for the Big Bang’s practice room. The President chuckled at their enthusiasm. He went straight to the office instead.

Of course NMD wasn’t surprised to see Lia sitting on the floor, watching Korean dramas in earphones as Big Bang did their practice. It was all she did to pass time as Big Bang did their things.

She looked really cute, giggling at times, gasping, so engrossed in the drama. It was just like Lia to do so whenever she was into a book or movie. She didn’t even notice them as they sat down beside her. They exchanged glances and smiled. Big Bang stopped their rehearsals and saw what was happening.

Seung Ri and Dae Sung laughed, pointing at Lia. TOP shook his head while Ji Yong had to shove his fist into his mouth to smother his laughter. Tae Yang just smiled hugely. It was a cute sight.

Lia was so cute.

When the show was over Lia finally looked up and blinked several times when she saw all eight boys smiling down at her. She took the earphones off, blushing. “Have you guys been watching me?” she asked.

Seung Ri sauntered over to her and kissed her on the lips. “My girl is so cute,” he cooed.

She blushed deeper. “Aish, shouldn’t you guys be dancing?!” she asked Big Bang.

“Neh, but you were so cute, it’s hard to ignore,” Dae Sung said, smiling.

She pouted and Seung Ri pinched her cheek and smiled. “Hey!” she complained, dodging him as he tried to pinch her for the third time. She slapped him on the hand.

Mark stood up, pulling Lia up with him. “Can I talk to you?” he asked.

She hesitated for a bit and he was scared she might say no. But Lia nodded and they walked out of the practice room. Big Bang stared after them, wondering if they should go out just in case he hurt her again. They still did not like him. They were still angry at him. No one hurt their precious Lia.

“He just wants to apologize to her,” Dylan spoke up. “It’s nothing to worry about.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “Really, really.”

Outside, Mark pulled her to a stop. “Lia, I am so sorry,” he apologized. “I hate myself for doing this to you, for hurting you.” When Lia didn’t say anything, he rushed on hastily, “You don’t have to forgive me. I understand. It’s my fault. I’m sorry.”

“Wait a second here first, Mark.” Lia held her hands up. She was trying to process what he had said in her mind. She looked at him and scoffed. “You are saying sorry?” she asked in a angry tone.

Mark blinked in confusion. What?