Confined

The Final Lullaby (4th Book of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

 

 Who is the father of the baby?!”

She looked up to him, tears silently pouring down her face.

“I don’t know.”

 

TOP, the rapper of Big Bang, stared at his little sister, Lia Choi Jun Mei, in disbelief. His eyes wandered to her stomach, where her baby was. “What do you mean by ‘I don’t know’?”

“That’s just it,” Lia said. “I don’t know.”

Color drained away from his face. “You slept with the both of them?” he asked.

She winced. “Just . . . once with each.”

“Right, and just once with one of them is enough to knock you up,” he muttered.

A few years ago TOP wouldn’t believe he’d be having this conversation with his little sister. In fact, a few years ago he never thought he’d find his little sister!

When he was thirteen Lia was lost and he thought he’d never see her again. But then two years ago fate brought them together. Lia, who had lived in Melbourne the entire time, came down to Seoul on a school trip with her friends. They bumped into the members of Big Bang. G-Dragon, or Kwon Ji Yong, fell in love with Lia, much to her delight as she had always liked him ever since she found out about Big Bang.

On their first date, TOP and Lia found each other. Lia was reunited with her family again. But she was faced with the decision to leave her adoptive family. After a long period of time she finally decided to move to Seoul with Big Bang.

She and Ji Yong went on a couple of dates and were officially together after a few months. But then a few misunderstandings happened and they broke up, both very upset about that. Seung Ri, who had always liked Lia, made a move on her, comforting her and just being there for her whenever she needed him. She eventually got together with him.

But then she started avoiding all of them and began vomiting and couldn’t eat so much. The boys all thought that it was because of her eating disorder (which she really did have a problem with eating) but it turned out to be morning sickness.

And now she’s pregnant and has no clue who is the father of her baby.

TOP was shaking with fury. He was finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that his sweet and innocent little sister is pregnant. He was angry at her for being stupid, but even more at Seung Ri and Ji Yong. They were old enough to have known better. She was only seventeen, for crying out loud! He turned to her to yell at her. She was crying. He softened, seeing how much in despair she was and went to hug her instead.

“I’m sorry,” she wailed.

“This is the real reason why you avoided us and vomited all the time?” he asked, a thought striking his head. “It wasn’t because you had the bug, right?”

She nodded, unable to say anything. He took her silence as a yes.

His face was pained. “Jun Mei, I’m angry with you,” he said quietly. “You always told me you weren’t going to have until you were married. And yet . . .”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

He sighed, looking at her tummy. “Three months pregnant,” he murmured, shaking his head. “We can’t have it.”

She looked up, startled. “I am not going to have an abortion,” she said to him firmly. She placed her hands over her stomach. “It isn’t the baby’s fault.”

“Jun Mei, you are only eighteen,” he argued, frustrated.

But she shook her head stubbornly. “I am going to keep the baby,” she insisted. “This is the result of . . . one of the boys and my love,” she explained. “We made this together out of love. But even if I was — but I wasn’t — I would still keep it. The baby doesn’t deserve to die.”

“What happens if it’s Ji Yong’s baby?” TOP reasoned. “What about Maknae?”

Lia kept quiet. She had thought about it. That was why she hoped that the baby belongs to Seung Ri. Things would be less complicated than that.

“And then if it is Maknae’s, Ji Yong is going to be heartbroken,” her brother went on. “You know he still cares about you. The fact that he may have fathered a child with the girl he loves will give him hope, but it will end up crushed if it’s Maknae’s.”

Okay, she didn’t think of that. But she wasn’t going to admit defeat. “Don’t you get it?” she said impatiently. “I am not going to get an abortion. It isn’t fair. I’ll cross the bridge when it comes to it.”

TOP knew there was no way he can argue with her. She was more stubborn than he was. But he wasn’t going to let her go that easily. “Fine.” He nodded and pointed to the door. “Starting from now, you are not allowed to leave this door. Every day I will bring your food and you are not allowed to talk to either Ji Yong or Seung Ri, nor are you allowed to tell Young Bae or Dae Sung why you are locked up,” he said.

“I have to go to work! I can’t just quit!” she protested.

“I’ll drive you there,” he replied. “I’ll tell Chung Ho that you’re grounded and that you are not allowed to come out from the kitchen whenever we come for lunch. And if Seung Ri and Ji Yong come to pick you up from work, Chung Ho will tell me. I’ll ask him to drop you off from work first. Then you will call me from downstairs and I will come bring you up to your room.”

“For how long?” Lia asked, accepting her punishment.

He scratched behind of his neck. “Not until we find out who the father of the baby is,” he decided. “And I still need to figure out a way to tell the others about your condition.” He looked at the door. “In fact, I am going to buy a lock and lock you up in here, being the only one with the key.”

She hung her head low. “Okay. Yes, oppa.”

He stood up to leave. “Lock the door and don’t let anyone except me to come in.”

She sighed, locking the door as he left the room. She then jumped on her bed and let the fresh, hot tears fall down. She was relieved that her secret was out but she was upset that she was going to have to be confined in her room. It was a y thing.

But she knew she deserved it. And she knew it was to protect her. She cried all of her frustrations out and finally drifted off to sleep from the weariness.

 

Dinnertime came but TOP wasn’t in the kitchen. In fact he wasn’t even in the house at all. He was out.

“Where’s hyung?” Ji Yong asked as he, Dae Sung, Tae Yang and Seung Ri gathered in the dining room to see the place empty.

Dae Sung’s face fell with disappointment and he clutched his hungry stomach. “Where is the food?” he whined.

Just then TOP came in front the front door, holding plastic bags in his hands. “Sorry guys. I went out for an errand. I bought pizza for dinner.” He set the boxes down on the dining table as the other boys piled up to eat pizza.

He took a bowl out and poured noodles into the bowl. “Jun Mei is in her room?”

“I haven’t seen her since this morning,” Dae Sung spoke up as he sat down to eat.

“Is the bowl for her?” Seung Ri asked.

TOP ignored him. He had told himself to try hiding his anger from them but he really can’t bring himself to answer the maknae. He clenched his fist. He took the bowl to her room. “Mei, open the door.” Lia opened the door for her brother and he entered. “I bought noodles for you. I don’t think pizza would be good for your condition.”

She smiled tentatively. “Thanks,” she said.

He looked at her and saw that her eyes were all red and puffy from crying. He bit his lips. He was still angry at her. He wasn't going to take back his punishment. “Eat,” he said emotionlessly.

She nodded and ate her food quietly. She didn’t have the strength to argue with him. She just wanted to be alone. But alone isn’t what she was going to get.

Ever since that day, TOP practically banned everyone from seeing her. He had put the lock up, ignoring the questions everyone asked. He moved into her room and he would take her to work.

Lia was also strange. She’d stopped talking to them and whenever Seung Ri or Ji Yong tried to talk to her, she ignored them. At the café, Chung Ho didn’t really have a problem with them because Lia didn’t try to talk to them. He had no idea she was pregnant and he was bewildered when TOP just pop in and told him to drive Lia home from now on and that she wasn’t allowed to talk to Seung Ri and Ji Yong. He knew it was personal matters so he nodded and just went along with it.

The guys were all confused. Why was TOP being so secretive? Why weren’t they allowed to talk or even see Lia anymore? What were the two of them hiding?

But Ji Yong and Seung Ri were confused. TOP was especially harsher and ruder to the two of them. But they didn’t know what they did to make him so angry.

“It must have something to do with Lia,” Ji Yong was saying to Seung Ri.

The two of them were in Ji Yong’s room. They decided to meet to try to find out why TOP was ignoring them and why Lia won’t talk to them. They have had enough about it. They just thought they lost Lia and now they are losing her again.

“But what exactly did we do to make him so mad?” Seung Ri asked, frustrated. “I’m sure my relationship with her was going well. We didn’t fight or argue. And I don’t think I had said anything to offend her.”

Ji Yong shrugged helplessly. “I don’t know what I’ve done to make him mad either. All I did was be a friend to Lia. I didn’t imply any false move on her.”

Seung Ri frowned thoughtfully. “You and I both think but what if we actually did without knowing? I mean, it’s possible.”

Ji Yong shook his head. “Lia would have told us about it,” he replied.

“No offense but she didn’t exactly tell us that she knew you cheated on her, remember?” Seung Ri said. “I’m not trying to be mean or anything. I’m just saying that she might not have told us.”

Ji Yong cringed at that memory. He had been an idiot. He had no idea what came over him, kissing and holding another girl when he was so in love with Lia. He sighed, turning back to the maknae. “What should we do?”

Seung Ri grinned. “I’ve got a brilliant idea!” he exclaimed, clasping his hands together. “I can’t believe I didn’t think about it! Of course, it’ll be risky but if it works, it’ll be a miracle!”

“Oh, do tell,” Ji Yong said sarcastically.

The maknae’s eyes glimmer. “We are going to steal the key and unlock to the door to talk to Lia.”