Chapter 9

Artificial Smiles

The rest of the walk home was full of disappointment. My father had fitted me into his busy schedule for exactly 42 seconds. I missed him. And my mother. I had wanted to talk to my little brother as well. I couldn’t sit around the apartment moping around. I changed into more casual clothes and got going. Tue had said there was a little park somewhere in the neighborhood with a swing set. Maybe acting like a little girl would cheer me up. I found the park without a problem. It was small, with a few trees and a little meadow. The grass was a vivid green, with blotches of dandelions. Off to the side was the playground. It really wasn’t much. Just a set of swings and a slide. Even though the light was already disappearing for the day, I sat down and enjoyed the peace. I soaked in the last rays of warm sunlight, as the sun began to set.

“What are you doing here?” I cracked open one eye was blinded by the setting sun. The guy moved a little, and blocked the sunlight. Now I could see his full profile. This made me groan and fall back onto the soft grass.

“What are you doing here?” I grumble. Is he stalking me? I just needed a moment of peace. Not another round of bashing on Lucy.

“Lucy,” Taehyung`s deep voice made my name sound like violet I swear. I have no clue what violet sounds like, but this would be it. I looked up at his face and tried to keep my shock hidden behind a poker face. He sat down beside me and looked at the retreating sun. I waited for him to say something, but he kept quiet. So I closed my eyes again, enjoying the silence. “This place helps me calm down, and clear my head,” I heard him softly say. “Whenever things at home get to me and I can’t stand it anymore.”

“What things?” I asked, unknowingly. Taehyung glanced over at me. He seemed to be arguing with his inner self. He focused his eyes on the darkening sky above.

“You wouldn’t understand if I told you,” Taehyung mused.

“Try me,” I breathed out. Taehyung glimpsed at me.

“My mother is dying,” his voice was quiet. I barely caught the sentence. Somehow, I wish I wouldn’t have heard.

“Dying of what?” I did not know what to say. What do you say in such a situation? The words ‘I’m sorry’ seemed so fake and unhelpful.

“Of cancer. She has been fighting it for years now. But whenever we consider her healthy, she has a relapse. And the relapses get worse every time.” The sun sunk, disappearing behind the horizon. I was still pondering about what to say, and Taehyung seemed lost in thought. The silence engulfed us. “She wants me to be a good student. To have outstanding grades. She says,” Taehyung stopped. His lips were pressed together in a tight line.

“She is probably beyond proud of you, no matter what,” I whisper. Taehyung glanced over.

“I don’t want her to die,” he spoke softly. I nodded. And then we just sat in silence. I couldn’t hug him for comfort, or pat his shoulder saying everything would turn out fine. He was going to lose his mother. Nothing was fine with that. I look to the side. He had to carry such heavy responsibility on his young shoulders. And I was complaining about how my father couldn’t give me enough attention. My problems really weren’t worth getting upset about. I smiled over at Taehyung.

“I think you will do well,” I said. “I mean, if you put in the same effort in being a good student as you do to annoy every person you come across… then it should be doable,” I tease and bump his shoulder with mine. He looked at me, shocked.

“You refused to help me remember? I have no idea how I am supposed to catch up in math now. Youtube videos don’t work for me,” Taehyyung got up and brushed off the grass on his jeans.

“Well, I did refuse. But I mean, tomorrow I was planning to study math in the library. Maybe, if someone comes along and asks for help very charmingly, I would decide to lend them my intelligent brain,” I grin. It had gotten dark during our talk. I followed Taehyung’s move and got up, brushing the grass off of my hot pants. We both just kind of stood there, unsure of what to do. “Well um… Bye?” It was more of a question.

“It has gotten dark, will you be alright alone?” Taehyung asked. I think I detected actual worry in his mimic. I waved it off.

“I come from Berlin, Taehyung. We Berlin girls know how to protect ourselves,” I boasted. Taehyung hesitated but then decided to believe me. “Besides, I did kickboxing for half a year, I am undefeatable.”

“Alright then. Bye,” Taehyung said awkwardly. This was the longest time we have gone without annoying each other. I watched his retreating figure, lost in thought. I was a person who saw people through feelings. Certain people give off certain feelings. I call them vibes, but it sounds rather silly. The vibe coming off of Taehyung was usually cold and intimidating. It made me feel small. But this was only when he was quietly staring. Once Taehyung opens his mouth and talks, he gives off an annoying, but warm feeling. I can talk freely towards him. Be angry at him. Because he was a good person. I felt that without knowing it in my head. He was young, insulting and had no manners, yes. But his intentions were pure. His rotten behaviors are excusable. He has a rough life. I was afraid of where my thoughts were leading me. It had only taken one conversation with him to get me to trust him. I usually don’t trust people. I hope he wouldn’t disappoint me later on. Or even worse, that I would let him see past my walls.