Chapter 4

Artificial Smiles

I sat back down after sport, stunned. What Nara told me made me more confused than I already was. Eunji and Yuri had been best friends since middle school. They were the most popular girls in the school and were envied or loved by all. They were the Queens. But it had all changed after one night. No one really knows what happened. For a while the two had seemed rather worried and would not talk to other people except themselves. And then, they just broke off all contact. Some believe they were fighting over a boy named Jimin, for soon after he got together with Eunji. Jimin was the son of a CEO. He was rich, sporty and a charming smile that made plenty of girls fall heads over heels. It would only make sense if the two best friends fought over him. After that, Eunji kept her place on top, being a Queen. But Yuri withdrew in herself, heartbroken they say, and ignored anyone who tried to befriend her. Her once better than average grades dropped to barely passing ones. She ditched more classes than she attended and rumor had it that she went to clubs late at night and had one night stands. She fell off the deep end. I stared at the empty seat in front of me, stunned. A friendship that lasted over five years breaking because of some boy? I had to ask her if this was true. If there was one thing I have learned from High School, it is to not trust what other people tell you. To be deaf to rumors. Because they were almost always a lie. Yuri came right when the bell rung, and sat down without sparing me a glance. A new teacher came in and we began history. I tried gaining Yuri’s attention over and over again. But she wouldn’t budge. Damn, her ignoring skills were on point. The bell finally rung to end the period. Now I finally learned about how Korea came to be split in two. It was so very interesting. I stood up from my desk and followed Yuri’s retreating figure. Once outside of the classroom I grabbed hold of Yuri’s arm.

“Ya! Why are you avoiding me now? Don’t abandon this little potato here,” I grumble. She looks back at me, astonished.

“I gave you an easy way out, Lucy,” she said. “Why are you still talking to me?”

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe because I like you? In a none homo way of course,” I rolled my eyes.

“Didn’t you hear about the rumors? The most powerful people in school hate me, Lucy. You should be steering clear of me,” Yuri waved her arms around frantically to bring her point across.

“I don’t care about rumors, Yuri. You were the first person who talked to me here. I want to stay your friend,” I looked Yuri straight in the eyes, hoping she believed me. Yuri was dumbfounded.

“You don’t care? People think I am a one night stand. People say I will be a High School dropout. And you don’t care? Don’t you know that if you hang out with me, people will assume you are the same?” Yuri whispered. I rolled my eyes.

“Who knows, maybe I am,” I said, and nudged her playfully. She looked at me in disbelief.

“You sure are something different,” Yuri said. I tugged on her elbow.

“Don’t ditch, Yuri. Come back into the classroom. Help me, please?” I ask. She let out a big sigh and followed me back inside.

“Help you with what? Ruining your reputation? I think you are doing that just splendidly by yourself,” she grumbled.

“Don’t be a grumpy potato now,” I said. “I want you to help me befriend Nara and Soyou. They seem really sweet, but I am too shy to have a decent conversation with them.”

“Let me get this straight,” Yuri said, “ You want me to help you with getting friends? I hope you know that from one of the many titles I have made for myself over the past, antisocial freak is one of them.” I ignored her remark and dragged her over to Nara.

“Hey guys,” I said and gave a weak wave. Nara looked at me, then at Yuri, who was squirming uncomfortably around. I nudged her. Hard.

“H-hey guys. We um, are in the same class but I have never really spoken to you,” Yuri said. I mentally face palmed myself. Great. Just great. Soyou, bless the girl, chuckled. She seemed immune to the tense and awkward atmosphere.

“You did seem rather unapproachable. But I have always wanted to tell you, I love your drawings. I wish I had your skills,” she said.

“You draw?”  I asked, looking over at Yuri. She looked anywhere but at us, and nodded timidly.

“Yeah, but it really isn’t that great. 13 year olds are better than me,” she said.

“If your art isn’t good, then mine cannot even be considered art,” Nara stated, and placed her pens neatly in her pencil case. “Don’t compare yourself to 13 year olds who draw 24/7. There will always be someone who is better than you.”

“Yeah, but still. It really isn’t motivating, ya know?” Yuri said, and leaned against the wall. I smiled to myself. Mission accomplished.

“What do you draw?” Nara asked.

“Well, I love anime and chibis, but actually anything,” Yuri said.

“You also love anime?” Nara exclaimed. “What is your favorite one? Please do not say Naruto…” I tuned out of the conversation and nudged Soyou.

“What are you guys doing in Lunch?” I asked. She smiled at me and looked over at Nara.

“I am hoping that we can spend it with you,” she said in a feather-light voice. I smiled over at her and we both looked at Nara and Yuri, both fangirling about something I couldn’t relate to. It was amusing to watch though. “I am glad you got her to talk to us,” Soyou whispered. “She has always seemed like a kind person, but I was too afraid to approach her.”

“Thank you for breaking the awkward atmosphere,” I replied. The bell rung and Yuri and I scurried back to our seats before the teacher caught us. The rest of the day passed in a breeze. For a first day it was rather fun and I did not feel like I did not belong.