Chapter 14

Artificial Smiles

 

“Well, that was a very filling lunch,” Yuri stretched her arms out and yawned.

“Maybe because you ate half of mine?” Nara grumbled. I think I enjoy their bantering a little too much. It made my day. These girls walking beside me are able to make me smile even after someone called me ugly. But I am uncertain if I have the same effect on them.

“Those two fight like an old couple, don’t you think?” I nudge Soyou with my elbow. She looks up at me and then away again.

“Um yeah. I guess so,” she murmurs and quickens her steps to catch up to Nara and Yuri. Weird. I watch Soyou walk beside Nara, remembering what had just happened before.

“Don’t you know that you are beautiful?”  I quickly shake my head, getting rid of the memory. I hurry after my friends and entered the classroom. Today was Friday. One week has already passed. My family would be coming tomorrow. I would have to get up early to clean the apartment before they arrive… The classroom door slid open and Eunji came inside. She took her seat and crossed her legs gracefully. Soyou, and Nara were leaning beside Yuri’s desk, laughing about something. Eunji glanced over at them. She seemed to be remembering, the look in her eyes was far away but at the same time close, watching Yuri laugh. I caught Soyou’s eye and smiled. She quickly looked away, pretending to not have seen me in the back of the classroom. I frowned. What was going on? Was it just me, or is Soyou acting strange towards me? I would ask her about it later, after school. My phone vibrated. I got it out of my back pocket and unlocked the screen.

“We just checked into the airport, see you soon!”- Papa

I smiled. I typed a quick reply and slipped my phone back inside. Just then Jungkook and Taehyung came in. They passed Eunji, Taehyung stopping to exchange some words. Jungkook came over towards me, smiling. I smiled back, a little awkwardly.

Don’t you know that you are beautiful?” I shook my head again, chasing the thought out.

“Hey Lucy! Hope your lunch ended better than it began,” Jungkook got a chair and sat down on the other side of my desk. I shrugged and looked to the side.

“Um, yeah I suppose,” I mumbled. Then I realized something. “You are not stuttering anymore!” Jungkook coughed awkwardly and was now the one avoiding MY eyes.

“Yeah, um, well, I guess so? I am not nervous anymore when I talk to you.”

“That is great!” I smiled over at him, this time an earnest smile.

“About what I said earlier…” Jungkook began. I held my hand up.

“It is okay. I don’t misunderstand. I was just sort of surprised. No guy has ever told me that,” I said. Better get this out of the way and not overthink it.

“Oh,” Jungkook murmured. “Yeah um, I was also surprised that I said that. I haven’t ever told a girl, um, that.” We were both not mentioning ‘that’. I shifted around in my seat awkwardly.

“Well then, it was a first for both of us,” I said. After a short hesitation I held out my hand. “Friends?” Jungkook looked at my hand a little uncertain, but he grabbed it, enclasping my small hand in his large, warm one.

“Friends,” he simply states. I look into his eyes and smile. His eyes shrink into a beautiful eye smile. I wish I could look so attractive while smiling. I couldn’t look him into the eyes for over a second, and avert them behind his shoulder. There I see Soyou watching me with a hurt expression. Nara seemed confused, focusing on our hands which were still touching. I quickly pull away, smiling apologetically at Jungkook’s confused expression.

“Class is starting soon, you should probably get to your seat,” my eyes drift up to Taehyung. How can someone look good from every angle? He was pissing me off. I know I am an ugly duck compared to him, but why must he keep reminding me of it? I quickly look away, before he realized I was staring and stared at the board, as if awaiting the teacher.

“Alright then, I will leave you,” Jungkook got up, rather uncertain. He shoots Taehyung a warning look. “She is my friend now, don’t make her run off,” he huffs and then leaves.

“So you are friends now, huh?” Taehyung began,taking seat in the chair Jungkook was in before. I stubbornly ignore him. He snorted. “And what about helping me with math? Are you a girl who always breaks her promises?” I clench my teeth together, but keep quiet. “Are you going to keep ignoring me because I said your looks could use some polishing?” HE CALLED ME A HOBO!!! I yelled at him inside my head. Thank God the bell rung, saving me from more of Taehyung’s taunting. I relaxed as soon as he left my sight, going to his seat behind me. He left me alone for the rest of the classes. But I was still on edge, because I knew he was sitting behind me. How can a person’s presence be so annoying?

When the bell finally rung for the last time that day, I jumped up and began stuffing everything in my bag. Slinging the bag over my shoulder, I made my way over to Yuri.

“Hey,” she said.

“Hey, I am going to leave quickly, before Mr. Prince catches up and torments me on my ride home,” I said, and leaned in for a hug. I went over to Nara and Soyou to say goodbye, and Yuri followed me.

“Bye guys!” I smiled at them.

“Hey, wait, Lucy. What was that with Jungkook?” Nara asked. Soyou doesn’t even look up at me, she just stares at her pencil, laying on the desk.

“Lucy? Are you ready?” Eunji comes into our little group of friends and smiles at me. I stare at her, shocked. Yuri is even more so.

“You know each other?” Yuri asks, bewildered.

“Yeah, we are friends,” Eunji says, turning around towards Yuri. I watch, horrified, as Yuri turns her eyes over to me, a confused, hurt and slanderous look directed straight at me. Before  I can explain, Eunji is already walking off, taking my schoolbag with her.

“Hey, Eunji! Wait up!” I exclaim and run after her, leaving the mess I have caused behind me. I would explain it to them later. They would surely understand, wouldn’t they? But when I take one, quick look back and I see a bewildered Nara, a reproachful Yuri and an unsure, hurt Soyou, I am not so certain of myself. Why would they listen to me? We have only known each other for a week.