Chapter 12

Artificial Smiles

 

The bell finally rung, signaling the start of lunch. I jump out of my seat and make my way over to Yuri. Nara and Soyou also came and the four of us looked at each other. Eunji stood up from her seat and gracefully walked over to Jungkook. Soyou watched enviously.

“Why must she be so pretty?” Soyou huffed. Nara patted her shoulder and reassured her she was just as beautiful. Which was the truth. She was petite, had beautiful, long wavy hair that was a rich dark brown.

“At least you get to sit next to him. Eunji will just keep silently judging me in everything I do from now on,” Yuri whispers, defeated. Her shoulders were still drooping. I smiled at her encouraging.

“Maybe it will turn out for the best? Maybe she will warm up to you and you can finally tell her your part of the story,” I said. Damn, so optimistic even with my period. Yuri looked up.

“Yeah, maybe! Who knows, maybe she misses me just a little bit as much as I miss her?” Yuri’s boost of confidence ended with a questioning voice. I was about to reply, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. A rather familiar tap.

“Library,” One word. I sighed.

“I’m coming,” I said. This is what happens when I try to be kind to someone. I end up wasting my lunch period in the library. Taehyung leaves the classroom, leaving me with three very curious little potatoes.

“Library,” Yuri imitates Taehyung’s deep voice, and pokes my shoulder for emphasis. Nara laughs, hitting her shoulder.

“Stawp,” I whine. “It’s not like I want this.” Yuri gives me a quizzical look. Nara joins her. I look over at Soyou, begging with my eyes for her to do something. She just smirks. That little… she was just happy the attention wasn’t on her and Jungkook!

“Are y-you also going to the library?” Jungkook speaks up from behind me. Our eyes widen and we turned around, startled. I didn’t know people were still in the room. Taehyung was leaning on the doorframe, waiting for me. Jungkook smiles over at me. “We can go t-together?”

“Umm.. sure?” my reply sounded more like a question.

“Hurry up!” Taehyung calls. I groan and turn back to my friends. “Well, gotta go. See you after?” They just nod, still in shock. I understand why. I still haven’t told them about my talk with Eunji and Taehyung yet.I give them a weak wave and make my way out of the classroom. Taehyung pushes himself off of the doorframe and follows me. He quickens to walk beside me, but Jungkook beats him to it.

“So why must you go to the library?” Jungkook asks. I glance behind me at the tall, slim boy trailing behind us.

“She is helping me out in math,” Taehyung answers for me. Jungkook nods and smiles over at Taehyung. He falls back to walk beside Taehyung and whispers something in his ear. I ignore it. “Not true, stop it,” Taehyung laughs and shoves Jungkook away. I roll my eyes. As I open the door to the library I see my reflection. I groan, regretting not having brushed my hair once again. Maybe I should start putting makeup on as well. Wait, what was I thinking? Why would I want to make myself pretty? It is not like I want to impress some boy or something. I release the door and walk into the quiet library, taking a deep breath. I loved the smell of old books, stacked and organized in a giant room. The quiet rustling of turning a page or the soft murmurs of people whispering to each other. I steer towards a round table in the corner and drop my bag onto one seat, placing my on the other one. Taehyung and Jungkook follow me, still whispering to each other. They are worse than girls, honestly.

“What are you whispering about?” Jungkook opens his mouth to answer but Taehyung beats him to it.

“Nothing much. Just how well you are pulling off the hobo look with the unbrushed hair and wrinkled shirt.” I can’t believe he just said that. I was just unpacking my math folder and pencil case, ready to teach him what he was too lazy to understand in class. I zipped my bag back up and stood up. “Where are you going?” Taehyung chuckles.

“I have better things to do than waste my time on someone who gets a kick out of insulting me,” I began walking away, leaving the two alone. I can’t believe it. Yesterday Taehyung had seemed so sweet. So kind and… real. Was this how he really is? Cruel, stupid jerk. I open the library doors and stomp away. Let him handle his math homework alone. Let him fail all his classes. Who cares? I sure don’t.

“Lucy!” I hear behind me. Oh no, not Jungkook. “Lucy!”

“Leave me alone! I am going to go brush my hair and then eat lunch with my friends. I don’t even know why I offered to help tat jerk, or ever thought you were sweet,” I snapped, turning around to face him. He looked back with those damn innocent looking eyes, full of worry and uncertainty. But I will never be fooled by looks again. Taehyung looks like an angel and acts like the devil. Jungkook looks like a lamb and acts like a wolf. Calling a girl ugly not just behind her back, but then admitting it to her face when she just willingly offered to help. I am so pissed at myself for being so stupid. Good-looking guys only respect and like good looking girls. I was not one. So in their eyes I deserved no respect.

“Lucy! I am really sorry,” Jungkook began. I scoff.

“Sorry? Well I am sorry too. For actually believing people like you could be kind to someone like me.”

“Someone like me? What are you talking about?” Jungkook furrows his eyebrows, confused. I roll my eyes. He can keep pretending for all I care. I turn around and begin walking off again. I hear his footsteps echoing mine. “ I don’t know why Taehyung said that.” I keep walking, trying to block him out. “I was never saying anything like that. I was only teasing him, you see. I never see him spending time with a girl willingly.”

“Sorry what?” My brain backtracks. “I am just helping him in math. Or I was, before he insulted my looks like that.”

“Oh, I thought you were going on a study date and I didn’t want to tag along awkwardly if so,” Jungkook said. I shook my head feverishly. “But honestly, I have no idea why he said you look like a hobo today. Or why you would ever be insulted by that obvious lie,” Jungkook gives me that eye smile that almost took my breath away. “Don’t you know that you are beautiful?”