Chapter 3

Artificial Smiles

“Hello Lucy. I am Soyou,”A small, very small girl bounced over to Yuri and me. She had a stunning, genuine smile. I unlinked my arm with Yuri and shook her hand. “My friend and I wanted to talk to you, but we were rather shy. Would you like to be in a group with us?” she asked.

“Group?” I asked.

“Please form groups of three,” the sports teacher said, just then. I looked over at Yuri.

“But what about-“

“I’ll join elsewhere,” she said and left my side. I looked after her, confused.

“Come on, I want you to meet my friend Nara,” Soyou said and tugged my arm. I followed her. Nara was a stunning beauty. She was tall, thin and she raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow at me. I just stared at her flawless, pale skin. She was like a princess.

“Hello Lucy,” she said, and smiled at me. Her voice was rather low, not high pitched. Such a girl gave me no self-confidence about my appearance. I smiled and gave a weak wave. Soyou left my side to go get a ball. “So you are from Germany?” Nara asked me. I nodded. “You look Asian though.”

“Yeah, I am half German and half Korean,” I said. I disliked being half of both. People in Germany thought I looked Asian and therefore exotic, while here Koreans knew I wasn’t completely one of them either. I didn’t fit with my outer appearance in any country really.

“You are really pretty though. You have really big eyes,” Soyou said, coming with a ball. I was astonished. More people have called me pretty here in one day, than my whole 16 years in Germany.

“Um, thank you, I guess. But I think you are all much prettier,” I said. They laughed.

“Girls! Start throwing the ball to one another and don’t just stand there, otherwise you can run two laps with the boys,” the sports teacher said. Soyou quickly threw the ball towards Nara.

“Ya! A little warning next time,” Nara complained.

“You caught it, heesh,” Soyou grumbled.

“So I saw you hanging out with Yuri before,” Nara said and threw me the ball. I caught it before answering.

“Yeah, she is really nice.”

“Nice, huh? Well, I would maybe watch out a bit around her. She has a bad reputation around here,” Nara mused. I threw the ball towards Soyou, but with a little too much force. It flew over her head and she had to run after the ball.

“What do you mean, a bad reputation?” I asked.

“Well, she doesn’t care about school for one. And she doesn’t really have any friends.”

“Well, I am her friend,” I said. Soyou came back with the ball. “Sorry Soyou, I threw it too high,” I said.

“No problem, Lucy,” she replied and flashed me another gentle smile. “But if I were you, I would be careful around Yuri,” she said.

“Why?”  I asked.

“Well, she once was really good friends with Eunji,” Nara began, catching the ball from Soyou. “They did everything together. You never saw one without the other. But one day, the two broke off all contact. Yuri became antisocial towards everyone and Eunji became really mean. She is called the Ice Queen by everyone now, because she bullies anyone who gets in her way.”

“Yeah, and don’t forget the rest of her Gang,” Soyou whispered.

“Girls! You are not throwing the ball! Two laps as punishment,” the sports teacher yelled. I turned my head to see who had gotten caught, but saw her staring right at me. Nara groaned and began jogging towards the track.

“Great, running. Just what I needed,” she grumbled. Soyou waited for me and we ran to catch up to Nara.

“Gang?”  I asked, interested in the rest of the story.

“I... can’t… talk…” Was all Soyou could say. I looked over and saw her brows furrowed in concentration. I faced forward and focused on my breathing as well. Soon boys were overlapping us, already on their fourth round. One guy accidently stumbled and fell towards me, pulling us both down on the track.

“Lucy, are you alright?” Soyou asked. Nara had already finished the two laps. She was really sporty.

“Yeah, I am fine. Keep running, I’ll catch up to you,” I replied. The boy scrambled up, beet red.  

“I am so, so sorry. I did not mean for that to happen, I am just so tired and stumbled and-“ the boy said, bowing. I pulled him back up. Damn, I still needed to get used to this bowing thing.

“It’s fine, no one got hurt,” I said. Then I looked down on his knee and noticed it was bleeding. “Oh no, you did get hurt! Let me help you,”  I said, and put my arm around his waist as support.

“Uh, um, no it is okay, I can, um, manage that,” the boy said, trying to move away. I let go, and he stumbled again.

“This won’t do, let me bring you to the nurse, please. It is my fault you are hurt and this way I can hopefully miss the rest of sport,” I said, and held him again.

“O-okay,” he stuttered, and let me help him limp off the field.

“Jungkook! Everything alright?” Another boy jogged over. The closer he got, the more I could see of his perfect profile. He had flawless skin, his eyes were brown ovals and his brown hair was being blown to the side by the slight breeze. His sport tanktop fit him snuggly, distracting me from his long, slim face.

“Yeah, I am fine. I am just tired because of last night,” the boy beside me said. I let go of his waist and he sat down on the bleachers.

“Who is this?” the beautiful prince asked, nodding his head my way.

“Hello, I am Lucy, the new transfer student,” I said and extended my hand. He looked at it in disbelief, as if he were stunned. When he didn’t take my hand I let it drop. “Because of me Jungkook here stumbled and fell, so I felt obligated to help him get off the track and to the nurses office.”

“Th-thanks again,” Jungkook said, avoiding my eyes.

“Nothing to thank me for,” I said. He was rather cute. His hair covered his forehead and he seemed rather shy.

“Yeah, nothing to thank her for. Come on Jungkook, I’ll take you,” the other boy said. He turns his head to me and narrows his eyes. “Your help is not needed anymore,” he says. I stare at him. How could anyone be so rude?

“Lucy, let’s go,” I get grabbed at my elbow from behind and pulled away from the two boys. I turn around and walk away with Yuri.

“Let me go, I have a word or two to say to that arrogant little,” I began, struggling against her hold.

“Let it be, Lucy. Trust me, you do not want to meddle with them,” Yuri said. I finally freed myself of her iron grip and stop walking.

“Who is that boy? How dare he be so rude to me? Who does he think he is?” I stomp my foot and toss my hair, frustrated that I couldn’t say all of this to his face. Skip words, that guy deserved worse. I would teach him some respect for other human beings such as myself.

“He is a bad guy, Lucy. Just stay away from him and his friends if you know what is good for you,” Yuri said.

“Someone has to teach him a lesson though,” I exclaimed.

“No. I don’t know how it is in Germany, but here you leave the people on the top alone if you don’t want trouble,” Yuri said.

“People on the top?” I asked.

“Lucy, are you alright?” Nara called out. She and Soyou were walking towards us.

“I am sure you already heard about the story of Eunji and me,” Yuri said, nodding towards the two girls approaching us.

“Oh yeah, I was going to ask you about that,” I said.

“It’s okay. It is better you do not befriend me,” Yuri said, looking me straight in the eye.

“Wait, what? Why?” I ask.

“Lucy, is everything alright?” Nara asked me. I looked up at her beautiful, concerned face.

“Yeah everything is fine,” I said. I turned around, only to see Yuri walking away. I turned back to Nara and Soyou. “So about that Gang…”