Chapter 5

Artificial Smiles

At the end of my first school day I left my new, three friends alone after saying goodbye and made my way to the bus station. I had a lot to tell Tina. Hard school, huh? It was a lot of things, hard did not fall into the description. I tried calling her, but she didn’t pick up. I sighed. She was probably really busy with her dancing classes. I kept walking, lost in thought and bumped into someone. The someone was a petite girl with fair, brown hair. When I saw her, the first thing I noticed was her flawless make up. I bowed.

“Sorry, I was lost in thought and did not notice you in front of me,” I stuttered. She held herself with the grace of a queen.

“It is alright,” she said. “You are the new girl, aren’t you?”

“Oh, um, yeah I am,” I brushed my hair aside, flustered.

“Wanna walk with a potato like me?” she asked. I smiled at her.

“You are anything but a potato,” I said, and fell into step beside her. “You are really beautiful. Like a model.” She chuckled and shook her head.

“I know,” she said. We walked on. I didn’t know what to say. It was silent, the girl beside me seemed lost in thought.

“She seems to like you a lot,” she said, out of the blue.

“Who?” I asked, not quite following her thoughts. She looked over at me, startled.

“Oh, did I say that aloud? I am sorry, forget I said anything,” she said. I nodded my head. “You don’t seem like much of a talker.”

“Oh, yeah I guess so. I am usually really awkward around people I don’t know,” I said with a timid smile.

“Yeah, I am the same,” the girl said, with a nervous laugh. She stopped at a corner and turned to me. “Want to walk together again tomorrow? Maybe we will have more to talk about then,” she said. I nodded my head eagerly.

“I would love to do that!” I said. I watched her walk off. I cannot talk well with new people because I am rather awkward. But usually I overcome the awkwardness and am still able to have a conversation with them. But people who had this certain feeling to them, a certain vibe, I couldn’t bring one witty sentence around them. If I had to describe the vibe it would be… Royal? Powerful? Confident? Something like that. I admire these people, and feel like a little duck that talks to a swan. And this petite girl I just met? She was amazing. Someone artists would get inspired by. I walked off, the mysterious girl still on my mind. Only when I reached the bus stop, a couple meters further did I realize I never got her name. Lost in thought I accidently bumped into another person that day. Damn, I really needed to work on that.

“Sorry, I was lost in thought and didn’t realize where I was walking,” I stutter and bow again. I looked up and saw the rude boy from sport again. I was just about to tell him just what I thought of that when I remembered what Nara had told me about the Ice Queen and the Gang. People called them the Gang, because… well just because. It consisted of six boys who roamed the school halls together. Nara said Kings would almost be a better description. Jimin, the Ice Queens boyfriend, was the leader of them. He was the son of a CEO and but wasn’t arrogant or showed off with his money. His childhood friend, Taehyung, was a boy born into a noble family. Their money and status equals that of a prince. His looks were stunning, but he was cold towards everyone. People said he would be a better suitor for Eunji. They could be the Ice couple. Suga was… well Nara said no one really knew about him. His father was the butler of Taehyungs family. He usually just observed what the rest of the group did, or was sleeping in some far away corner. No one really knows where. Then there were Jin and Rapmonster. Jin was hardly seen because he was pursuing his dream of becoming a model. Rapmonster on the other hand was seen everywhere. He was friends with everyone. Jungkook was the baby of the Gang. They all protected him and cared deeply. He was the only commoner of them, with not a lot of money. He was a shy guy who stuttered a lot around everyone but the Gang. Not only that, but he was also Soyou’s secret crush. Nara said Soyou always watched him and she would go to his part time job in disguise. Soyou said that wasn’t true, but she was blushing and looking to the side. She was not good at lying.

“What?” Taehyung’s deep voice brought me back to the situation at hand. I took a step away and ignored him. It was hard not to peak a glance over at his handsome profile. Why was he taking the bus if he was as rich as royalty? I saw my bus arriving and got out my card. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Taehyung mirroring my actions. He wasn’t really going to get in the same bus as me? The bus arrived and the doors opened. I stepped inside and felt Taehyung behind me. He was staring at my back, I knew it. I felt a tickling sensation on my neck. I scanned around for an empty seat and found two. I sat down, praying that Taehyung wouldn’t sit beside me. My prayers were ignored, and I felt a presence beside me. I dared not to look. Only three stops, Lucy. I could do this. After the second stop passed I discovered a new problem. How was I going to get out? I already saw the familiar street. I had to get out. Mustering all of my strength I reached across Taehyung’s chest to press on the stop button, hoping he would get the hint and move out of the way. No such luck, that bastard ignored me. I groaned, annoyed. I forcefully tapped him in the shoulder.

“I need to get out here, could you move?” I asked. He ignored me. “YA!” I said, slapping his shoulder. He blinked slowly and turned his head towards me.

“Did you just slap me?” he asked.

“Get out of my way! This is my stop,” I grumbled. He didn’t budge. I watched, helplessly as the doors opened and closed on my stop. And then the bus kept driving. I couldn’t believe it! He made me miss my stop, that jerk. I slouched down on my seat, beyond pissed.

“What did I ever do to you, that you would be so mean to me? I am going to have to walk this whole stop back home,” I complained.

“That is the thing with people as yourself,” Taehyung said, getting up. “Your worst problems consist of missing a bus stop.” I got out after him, and sent him a glare.

“You are quick to judge, Taehyung,” I said. The bus halted again and Taehyung got out, followed by me. I watched his retreating back with fury. A prince, huh? Well, manners weren’t in his etiquette.