Chapter 6

Artificial Smiles

I groaned and hit the life out of my alarm clock. I rolled out of bed and dragged myself to the bathroom. Was it worth showering today? I looked at my reflection and saw my messy bed hair. Yeah, I need a shower. I got into the shower stall and sighed when the hot water came in contact with my stiff shoulders. This is the life. I took longer in the shower than necessary, leading to a hurried breakfast. I took the tie in my hand and slipped on my shoes, running for the bus. So much to a relaxed morning. I got in, out of breath and swiped my card across the checking machine, allowing me to enter the bus. I looked around and came upon a rather unpleasant sight to top off my once relaxing morning. Taehyung was sitting by a window, looking outside. His perfect, sharp jawline was on display. I would have drooled over the sight, if I hadn’t known what a dumbo he really was. I walked past him and sat down a few rows behind him. Not taking any chances this time. I studied him, and came to the annoyed conclusion that he looked refreshed and relaxed, not stressed at all. I faced my reflection in the window and tried tying my tie, without much success. I had left the tie at home yesterday, but the school uniform only looked half as cute without it. Problem was, I had no idea how to put on a tie. After a gazillian Youtube tutorials later (actually it was only one) and a trillion tries (I tried twice) I was still unable to do it right. I groaned in frustration, looking down at the knot I ended up with. I got up from my seat and left the bus, Taehyung right behind me, not that I was conscious of Mr. Highness. I kept on struggling with the tie, till I arrived the school gates. Finally giving up, I stuffed the stupid piece of cloth in my school bag and let out a frustrated sigh. Add excellent tie tying skills to my resume. Not. Taehyung quickened his steps, till he passed me. I envied his long slim legs. Why must a jerk like him get them, and not an angel as myself? I grumbled to myself the whole way to my classroom. I opened the door and stepped inside right when the bell rang. Just in time. Next time I would have to walk faster. I slipped behind my desk and noticed the empty seat in front of me. She better not be ditching right now. I grumbled to myself.

“We will now begin with Math,” a familiar teacher came in, opening the lesson. I sighed, and settled myself deeper into my seat. I hoped Math would soon become more challenging. So far the only challenging subjects were History, Korean and Biology. Biology and Korean because my vocabulary wasn’t broad enough yet to fully understand everything. History just because it was history. Ignore the fact that my father majored in History please. The door opened, ten minutes into the lesson and Yuri came in.

“Miss Yuri, kind of you to join us,” the math teacher said, sarcasm dripping from every word. I giggled into my hand. Yuri bowed towards the teacher and weaved her way through the desks to the one in front of me.

“Hey,” I whispered, nudging her seat. She turned around to return the greeting, but got interrupted by the teacher.

“Sorry, it won’t happen again,” she mumbled. When the teacher turned his back she rolled her eyes. I laughed to myself. I watched Yuri’s back and saw her head drooping down. She finally let sleep win and rested her head on her arms. I sighed. What did she do last night to come so tired to class? The day dragged on, till lunch finally came. I had gotten a new locker and was to pick it up from the principal’s office. I left Yuri in the hands of Nara and Soyou, promising to find them in the cafeteria once I was done. I quickly went to the principal’s office and knocked.

“Come in!” I heard her voice from inside. I opened the door and found the principal sitting behind her desk, her lips pressed in a thin line and her forehead wrinkled, looking at the student sitting on the other side of her desk. I stepped inside and the student turned in his seat to look at me.

“What are you doing here?” Taehyung grumbled.

“Picking up my locker combination,” I replied. “Not that it is any of your business.”

“You two know each other?” the principal asked.

“No,” we answered in union. I glared at him, annoyed. The wrinkles on her forehead disappeared and a relieved smile came across her face.

“Well then, may I introduce you your new tutor, Taehyung. Lucy is a fabulous student in Math, Chemistry and English.” I stared, dumbfounded. No, no, no.

“No,” Taehyung said. I nodded my head in agreement behind him. Finally something we agreed on. “Her Korean isn’t even that good. How can she be a brilliant student? And she just came yesterday. I want someone else,” Taehyung said, in a voice that showed he always got what he wanted. The principal pursed her lips, annoyed.

“Taehyung, you are never satisfied with the tutors I give you,” she sighed. “Lucy will you do it? His father pays a lot.” Money was the last thing on my mind.

“No thank you, I just came for my locker,” I said. Taehyung looked over at me, surprised. The principal sighed and handed me the combination with the locker number.

“Here you go,” she sighed. I turned to leave, overhearing the principal’s last words to Taehyung.

“If your grades do not improve soon, no money or family status can save you from failing. Grades speak for themselves.” I let the door glide shut behind me, but it opened right after again. Oh no, Taehyung was behind me. I quickened my steps, hoping to put distance behind us. He grabbed my arm though, and spun me around.

“You lied, saying you didn’t know me,” he said. He looked offended.

“So did you,” I reply and shook his hand off.

“You did not accept the offer of tutoring me, even though the pay is good,” he said.

“Money is not as valuable as the time I would be wasting trying to be kind to someone like you,” I snapped and spun around, stomping away. Does he think everything is about money? That he can buy everything with money? Everyone? I tossed my hair in frustration, something I seem to be doing a lot lately. I enter the cafeteria and find a horrifying scene in front of me. I run over to Nara and Soyou. “What happened?” I asked, looking around. Their lunch was spilled on the ground and Soyou’s skirt was full of the appetizer fish soup. I got ahold of some napkins and helped her get rid of the most damage.

“I don’t really know, these girls just came up to us and began insulting Yuri. I-I told them to shut their mouths because they shouldn’t judge people when they themselves are much worse,” Nara said quietly, watching me help Soyou.

“Yeah, and then they went berserk, and threw our lunch trays around. I got unlucky and the soup landed in my lap,” Soyou murmured.

“Where is Yuri now?” I asked.

“She went outside and the girls followed her,” Nara said. “I wanted to follow but she said we should just stay here.” I stood up and looked around. Everyone was staring. I saw Taehyung come in through the entrance and take in the sight. He blinked once and looked straight at me, as if wondering what I would do now. Then he turned his head and strolled over to his friends with is hands in his pockets.

“Nara, help Soyou, alright? I will go check on Yuri,” I said and got up.

“I don’t think that is really-“ Nara began, standing up, but I was already gone. I went outside and looked around. A slight breeze went through my hair, carrying voices to my ear. I followed them, till I could hear words.

“Do you really think you can befriend people? A loser like you?” I heard a high pitched voice. “What did you all bond over, the same buddy?” A couple of giggles were heard, they sounded so fake my ears might have started to bleed. I heard a slap and an intake of breath.

“How dare you,” someone said. I was near, just on the other side of this corner. I took in the sight on front of me. There was group of about five girls, all huddled together behind one plump, malicious looking one. Yuri was standing across from them, her back to a wall. She was looking at her own hand in shock. The plump girl raised her hand in a threatening manner.

“Yuri?” I called out. Everyone whipped their heads to the side.

“Oh, great timing, transfer student. Watch what happens to s like her and see if you really want to hang out with someone so dirty.”  I strode over and placed myself beside Yuri.

“What are you doing?” Yuri asked.

“I think you should take into consideration what Nara said before to you in the cafeteria. However horrible you portray Yuri in your minds, you are ten times worse,” I said. The girls gasped, before one by one they began laughing like hyenas. I winced at the sound.

“Did you hear her? Thinking she is all high and mighty,” the plump girl said in between breaths as she was laughing, clutching her round stomach. “I think she should be shown where her place is, am I right girls?” They all yelled yes. I gulped. “See what happens when you try to befriend people, Yuri?”

“Ya, stop right there!” Nara yelled, running over. Yuri’s eyes widened even more. Soyou followed, a little out of breath from the sprint. “Leave us alone, we didn’t do anything horrible towards you for you to act this way.” The girls looked at one another, a little uncomfortable. One was easy to bully. Two was doable. But four were too many. But the plump girl stood her ground.

“Peasants like yourselves need to know your place,“ she said, raising her hand again.

“What is going on here?” Everyone tensed. A petite girl came around the corner and took in the scene in front of her. “Why are you all causing such a disturbance? Scram.” The group of girls scurried away with their heads down, embarrassed. Then there was silence.

“Why did you help me?” Yuri asked. I tried peaking over her shoulder to see our savior.

“Help? You were so noisy I couldn’t hear my own thoughts,” the girl said. I heard retreating footsteps.

“Well, that was intense,” I said, letting out a breath.