Chapter 8

Artificial Smiles

“No,” I said, without skipping a beat. Taehyung took a step back as if he had taken a punch.

“No?” He repeated my answer, astonished. “Why not? I will pay double.” I sighed. Some people never learn.

“I do not want your money, Taehyung. Now if you would excuse me, I have better places to be,” I pushed passed his stunned stance. Was this the first time he got rejected or something? I felt a warm hand grasp my elbow. He seemed to really enjoy grabbing people and dragging them wherever.

“Please,” Taehyung said. I looked over my shoulder. His expression was bitter. He probably never had to say that word before. People born with a golden spoon in their mouth didn’t know what please even means.

“Why do you need a student to tutor you? Aren’t you rich enough to have a professional tutor?” I asked.

“My father can’t find out I am struggling. He would be disappointed and my brother would use it to embarrass me by exposing my grades to the press. So please, Luisa, help me,” he looked me straight in the eye, an earnest expression on his face. He would have made me waver and change my decision but…

“Maybe you should first find out what my name is, before you ask me for a favor,” I placed my hand over his and pulled it away from my elbow. “My answer stays the same. No.” Taehyung watches me walk away. I know this, because I can feel his gaze, burning through my back. I scurried into the classroom and let out a big sigh of relief. How dare he not even get my name right!

“What did he want?” Yuri turned around in her chair as I sat down. I ran a hand through my hair and tried to calm down.

“Nothing,” I answered. Yuri did not believe me, and waited for more. “He doesn’t even know my name!” I finally exclaimed, unable to dampen my temper. “How dare he ask for a favor when he doesn’t even make an effort to find out my name? What a spoiled, aggravating, little…”

“I believe you mean, what a hot, manly, irresistible gift from the heavens,” Yuri smirked at me. I wanted to object, but the teacher came in at that moment and Yuri spun around. The lessons dragged on, till the last bell dismissed us all for the day. I got up and began packing my bag. I gave Yuri a quick hug and left the classroom with Soyou.

“Why are you in such a rush to get home?” Soyou asked. I blushed, unsure of how to answer her innocent question. Oh, you know, just to walk down the street with this girl I don’t even know the name of.

“I don’t want to miss the bus,” I avoided Soyou’s eyes. I would tell them about the girl eventually. Just not yet. Soyou and I parted ways outside of the school gates, she had to walk the other direction. I turned my back on her and scanned the crowd, looking out for a certain, petite girl.

“Waiting for someone?” I turned around and came face to face with her. I smiled. Her voice reminded me of something.

“Were you the one who made those hyena girls run away?” I was unsure, for I hadn’t had a clear view of the girl back then. But the girl in front of me nodded. I was flabbergasted, to say the least. “So, you are Eunji.”

“I was wondering when you would find that out,” Eunji replied, smiling to herself. I, on the other hand, wasn’t amused in the slightest. Now I had even less of a clue what I should say to her. “I bet you already heard Yuri and I were once really close,” Eunji mused, and began walking, or rather gliding with grace. I followed after her.

“Yeah, she told me,” I avoided eye contact. I was talking to the Ice Queen? Maybe I had a chance to get her to talk to Yuri again! “She really wishes everything could be like before.” Eunji snorted. I blushed. The concrete street suddenly became immensely interesting.

“You should not trust someone like her. I am telling you this because you seem like a genuinely sweet girl. Do not trust Yuri with anything. She will backstab you.”Eunji had it all wrong! Yuri had not known her father was plotting such evil plans behind Eunji’s father’s back. I wanted to explain everything to Eunji and defend Yuri, but it wasn’t my story to tell. “I know, she probably is very interesting and entertaining. I don’t know what she told you about me, but let me tell you one thing,” Eunji stopped and looked directly at me. “I am not the villain. She is.” I gulp. This was not the situation I wanted to be in. Eunji kept walking. She didn’t say anything after that. She had said all that she wanted to say.

“She never said anything bad about you, Eunji,” I murmured. “She said that you were funny and even though you two were so different, you still accepted her and got along like sisters.” Eunji looked over at me, surprised. She wanted to say something, but got interrupted by a boy jumping up at us from behind.

“Eunji! What’s the rush? Did you forget I wanted to take you to that new café I discovered with Rapmonster last week?” the boy placed his hands on her shoulders and swayed her from side to side playfully. “Oh, isn’t this the new transfer student?” I nodded my head. The boy smiled and reached out a hand. “I am Jimin, nice to meet you. You have been the center of the gossip in our school these past few days.” I couldn’t help but smiling back. His smile was just so friendly and charming. I grasped his hand and gave it a timid shake.

“Hello, I am Lucy,” I began. “Sorry, but what do you mean with gossip?” I didn’t know people even knew I was here. I haven’t actually spoken to anyone here besides Yuri, Soyou, Nara and Eunji. Well, and now Jimin. Taehyung doesn’t count.

“Oh yes, so much. That you were a super model in Germany, but because of a big scandal you decided to move here and live a normal life again starting over. Or that you are being paid to pretend to be Yuri’s friend so that she doesn’t seem like such a loner anymore. Or-“

“Okay, that is enough,” Eunji interrupted the horrible ribbon of nonsense coming out if her boyfriend’s mouth. “The poor girl, Jimin. Have some heart, will you?” Jimin smiled cheekily and threw his arm around Eunji’s shoulders.

“I don’t have a heart, you took the only one I had.”

“Oh please, stop being so cheesy,” Eunji laughed and pushed him away. “It gives me goosebumps.” I watched, fascinated by the affection on display. Anyone could see they cared deeply for one another.

“See, transfer student? This is why she is called the Ice Queen,” Jimin teased. I nodded, pretending to take it all very serious.

“I completely understand the reasoning behind the title now,” I said. Eunji sighed, giving up.

“I like this girl,” Jimin said. “She got jams.” I laughed, having no clue what he meant with that.

“Well then why don’t you take her with you to try out the new café?” Eunji grumbled and came to a stop. We have reached the corner where we part ways.

“Oh, don’t be like that Eunji. You know I could never find a girl who appreciates cafes as much as you. I need your judgement on this one,” Jimin pouted, looking down at the petite girl with big eyes. She laughed and pushed him away.

“Alright, alright. But I first want to go home and drop off my school bag,” she smiled at him. “Bye Lucy, see you next time!”

“Bye transfer student!” Jimin waved at me. I shook my head, laughing silently. Talk about relationship goals. I suppose arranged marriages can end up well after all. And Jimin really was as charming as Nara had pointed out. I watched the two walk away. Jimin was bouncing around Eunji in a circle, full of energy and smiles. She just walked in a straight line, smiling back or shaking her head.

Someone bumped my shoulder rather hard, tearing my eyes away from the retreating couple. Taehyung was passing by. I knew he did it on purpose. I was about to yell after him to have some manners, but stopped myself. He wanted me to get annoyed and yell at him. Keeping my composure by ignoring it would be much better suited. It would irk him more. I ran one hand through my hair, and began walking the few stops it took to get to the bus stop. Taehyung was already facing me, ready for my rant with a smirk on his face. A smirk that slowly disappeared as I walked straight pass him, stopping a few steps away to await my bus. I couldn’t see his face, but I felt his confusion. Mission successful. The bus arrived and I followed Taehyung into the bus. He sat down, but I placed myself near the exit. I am a person who learns from my mistakes. The bus ride was uneventful, just as I had hoped. I did sneak a few peaks at Taehyung. It was difficult not to, when his side profile was so gentle and handsome. He had the looks of an angel. I was just leaving the bus when my cellphone rang. The display showed my father. I answered the call, a happy smile on my face.

“Hey, Papa!” I greeted him.

“Hey, Lulu. Just wanted to check on how you are doing. Alone in a whole new country, whata big girl you already are!” I could feel the father’s pride coming from him, even from so many kilometers away.

“I am fine. Everything is going great here. The house is really nice, with furniture and towels. And I found my way to school. It is really easy here, school in Berlin was more difficult,” I began, ready to tell him all about my first days here in Korea.

“Lulu, I only called to see if you were doing alright,” my father interrupts me. I stop. Of course. Only to check in, because it is his duty as a father.

“Everything is fine, Papa,” I answered.

“Okay, I am relieved to hear that. I am hanging up now. See you soon!” I listen to the empty beat for a long time after he hung up. He doesn’t care. A familiar, hollow feeling spreads through my chest. He doesn’t care.