Chapter 15

Artificial Smiles

 

“Here, your bag,” Eunji throws it over to me and I catch it.

“Why did you do that?” I ask.

“Do what?” Eunji asks innocently and begins walking out the school gate. I followed, thoughtful. I wanted to be mad at her, for telling Yuri we were friends like that, for shocking all of my friends like that. But it hadn’t even been her fault. I was the one who had kept secrets. I hadn’t told them about Taehyung and I’s bantering and my conversation with him at the park. I hadn’t told them about what happened in lunch, leaving them confused as to why Jungkook and I were suddenly so close. And finally, I hadn’t told them about how I had met Eunji on the first day, and how we always walk to the bus stop together since then. They have been so honest and open towards me, and I had kept all of this for myself. I hadn’t thought much of it, till now. Now, where it all got exposed. They must feel so hurt and betrayed by me. I trudge after Eunji, defeated. I had finally made real friends, and look at how I treat them.

“Head up, Lulu!” Eunji said, slowing down her walk to be beside me. “ I think that went pretty alright back there.” I am beyond baffled.

“You think that went alright?” I ask. How could anyone come to such a conclusion?

“Yeah, now Yuri knows we are friends. Maybe she will warm up a little towards me, because we have a mutual friends.” I take a look at Eunji. A real look. She seems satisfied, happy almost. Her eyes are sparkling with a bit of hope, and she has a little skip in her walk. It was adorable. Even though she had just put me in a terrible positon, causing a misunderstanding between me and my friends, I couldn’t be mad. She was just too adorable. And so naïve when it came to human contact! She thought being friends with me would make Yuri look at her more favourably? I mentally face palmed myself. Yuri warming up to her?

“Wait, when did this happen?” I ask Eunji. She glances over at me.

“What?” she asks, pretending not to understand.

“Since when do you want Yuri to ‘warm up’ towards you?” I press on. She seems a bit uncertain.

“Well, I.. I miss her. I really do. I know that she isn’t really at fault for what happened to my family-“ she breaks off, and looks over at me. “Do you already know what happened between our families?” I nod my head. No point in denying it.

“Well, I know how she moved away from him afterwards. But I was so pissed at her. And once I realized that she was the wrong one to be angry at, it was too late.” Eunji kicked a stone, letting it roll a few meters in front of us. “She had already stopped trying to contact me and closed herself off. I knew she had discarded me as a friend then.” I sigh. All of this torment between two best friends because of one big misunderstanding. Eunji brightens up again. “But now she is opening up again, and has friends. I am happy for that, so thank you,” she pouts a little, “though I am jealous that you are all so close and have so much fun together.” She grumbles a little, making me almost giggle. She was adorable. “But now I have you! And now she knows we have a mutual friend, and that you also like me, so maybe she will be my friend again and I can join your circle of fun!” she smiled, the first real smile I have seen coming from her. I wave good bye once we reach the corner, and make my way to the bus stop. So in the end, Eunji was just socially awkward. Who would have thought? See what I said? Never trust rumors, they are almost always lies. Ice Queen my . She was shyer than a wild rabbit.

The bus came and I got in. As it was about to close its doors, someone ran inside. It had started drizzling, and he shook the rain out of his hair. I admired the beauty.

“Like what you see?” Taehyung grins and seats himself beside me. I blush and look away. Oh God no. Why was he sitting beside me? Why was he so damn attractive? Why did he notice me staring? Why am I blushing? I really hate periods.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” I mumble, and look out of the window. Couldn’t he have just missed this bus? Taken the next one? Aish.

“Hey, you left some very startled friends behind in the classroom today,” Taehyung informs me. I sigh.

“What do you want?” I just want him to leave me alone. Better get this conversation over with as soon as possible.

“Why? Will you give me anything I want of you?” Taehyungs stare leaves me shuddering. I blush even more and look away. “Heesh, don’t think so erted. I was thinking of you helping me with math,” Taehyung laughs. I groan and press the stop sign.

“Will you let me out this time?” I ask him, sarcastically.

“No;” Taehyung replies, grinning. I just glare at him. “Just kidding, heesh. Don’t be such a grouch,” his grin becomes wider, showing his straight, white teeth.

“You are so funny,” I say, sarcasm dripping out of every syllable. Taehyung gets up so I can go through. The bus stops and I get out. Taehyung follows me. I turn around. “What are you doing?”

“Following you, you are going to tutor me, remember?” I just stareat him, flabbergasted.

“No,” I try to put as much force behind the word as possible. My father will be coming home soon. If he found me alone with such an attractive guy… Oh God no.

“You mean yes, right?” I notice that Taehyung, even though he is grinning, is being serious. What do I do?

I run. I sprint off, hoping he will lose me and I can get to my apartment and lock myself inside. I got a head start, because he at first just stares after me, startled. But then he sprints after in pursuit. I am already breathing heavily, but I press on. I get to my apartment compound and sprint through the gates, hopping up the steps to my house door. “Lucy, don’t you dare lock me out!” I hear from behind me. I scramble to get my keys and sloppily push them through the lock, opening the door. It had begun raining more heavily, so it was difficult to push it through, but I made it, quickly closing the door behind me. A few seconds after I hear a pounding on the door.

“Sorry Taehyung. But my family is coming soon and I need to clean up the apartment,” I yell through the door.

“YAH! Open the door, it is raining out here,” I hear him shout back. I grimace. Do I have a spare umbrella somewhere? I look around and see one, lying next to the bookshelf. I get it and open the window beside the house door.

“Here Taehyung,” I said, and threw it at him. He charges at the window, trying to get inside, but I shut it just in time.

“You aren’t being serious, are you?” he asks, flabbergasted. I smile apologetically.

“See it as revenge for you calling me an ugly hobo,” I say, and then close the curtains. I watch his shadow, as he waits for another minute, expecting me to open the door. When nothing happens he finally begrudgingly opens the umbrella and begins walking home. I feel a little bad, but what can I do? My family would be arriving in an hour or so and the apartment was a mess. I just hope he won’t get sick from being in the rain. I heard Koreans are very sensitive when it comes to catching colds and so forth. I quickly shake off all thoughts related to school. It was cleaning time.

 

*********************************************************************************************************

Hey Guys! I just wanted to thank everyone who is actually reading my story. It makes me really happy and keeps me motivated to keep writing! Oh, and I have a question. Who is your favorite character so far? Anyone that should be talking more often in the story? I am unsure when I will update again, probably in a week or so, cause I have Klausuren(big, scary important tests) next week and the week after. But I will try to find some time to continue writing. At least I didn't leave you on a cliffhanger...or? But please anticipate the next few chapters, they are going to be very frusterating and entertaining... I think\hope XD