Chapter 13

Artificial Smiles

 

“I wonder why she is hanging out with Taehyung all of a sudden,” Nara opened her yogurt and polished her already shiny spoon with a napkin.

“And Jungkook followed them,” Soyou peeped in. The three turned their heads to the cafeteria entrance, all thinking of different possibilities. Yuri voiced hers first.

“I bet they are secretly step-siblings and Taehyung doesn’t want anyone to know,” she said. “And they secretly have a thing for each other but it could never work out because their parents are married so it is like forbidden love and so they meet in the library to study but actually they are making out behind the bookshelves and-“

“Okaaaay,” Nara raised her hand, signaling Yuri to stop her rambling. “I heard Taehyung has been slacking off in school and needs a tutor. So maybe she is just his tutor, helping him out.”

“Sweet Lulu, always helping others!” Soyou agreed with Nara’s theory. Yuri pouted.

“Okay, maybe tutors, But the forbidden love theory was way cooler.”

“Of course it was. So cool it should become a kdrama,” Nara sweetly patted Yuri’s hand, comfortingly.

“You think?” Yuri asked, excited.

“NO!” Nara quickly said. “You will not write that as your story for the English assignment. God no.” Soyou giggled, finding her unnies amusing to watch. Her eyes drifted over to the empty seat beside Yuri. The only thing missing to make this lunch fantastic was Lucy’s eye roll and laughter.

“I have to quickly use the bathroom,” Soyou murmured and got u. Her chair screeched somewhat on the tile floor, drawing some quick glances over to their table.

“Okay,” Nara said, waving her off. Soyou left the cafeteria, making her way down the end of the hall where the bathrooms were located. She skipped a little in her walk. She was sitting next to Jungkook, the guy of her dreams. He even greeted her, and she talked to him! HE was the boy of her dreams, the one and only. Ever since that first year in High School, where she had spilled her orange juice on his blazer by accident and he had only smiled it off, saying it was no big deal. She had known then. There would be no other boy for her. She was about to turn the corner when she heard two people in a rather heated discussion. She didn’t want to disturb them, so she hid behind the corner, waiting for them to pass.

“I don’t know why Taehyung said that,” a boy said. A boy who’s voice Soyou would recognize from a million miles away. She peeked around the corner, just to check. She found Lucy with her backpack slung hurriedly and sloppily over her shoulder, walking away from Jungkook who had the same appearance. “I was never saying anything like that,” Jungkook continued, “I was only teasing him, you see. I never see him spending time with a girl willingly.” Lucy stopped just a few meters away from the corner Soyou was hiding behind. Soyou thought she should not eavesdrop an longer and made a move to leave.

“Sorry what?” she heard Lucy say, baffled. “I am just helping him in math. Or I was, before he insulted my looks like that.” So Nara’s theory was correct. Soyou shook her head. Of course Nara would be correct. It would have been weird if she weren’t. But Taehyung had insulted Lulu? Soyou couldn’t understand this. How could anyone find something to insult Lulu with? She was just so cute! All of her friends, Lulu, Yuri, Nara, they were the most beautiful girls Soyou had ever had the honor of knowing. She decided to stay behind the corner, to be there for Lucy once Jungkook left, and to tell her she was perfect the way she is. She shouldn’t listen to Taehyunng. What does he know? Beauty isn’t always what you see. Perfection isn’t always how you look and dress. It goes deeper than that. Beauty comes from the heart. Soyou wanted to explain this to Taehyung, knock his head back on right.

“Oh, I thought you were going on a study date and I didn’t want to tag along awkwardly if so,” Jungkook said. Soyou rolled her eyes. Her lulu was too good for some jerk like Taehyung.  “But honestly, I have no idea why he said you look like a hobo today. Or why you would ever be insulted by that obvious lie,” Jungkook gave her one of those cheeky eye smiles. The same one he had given Soyou when she had spilled orange juice on his blazer. He smiled at her and the next words he said ripped Soyou’s little heart apart for a second.  “Don’t you know that you are beautiful?” Soyou supressed a sob. She had day dreamed of Jungkook giving her the same smile, saying those same words. And here she was, watching him be so sweet to another girl. She stayed for another moment, to see Lucy’s reaction. But the girl, her new friend, just stood there. Soyou turned around and left, quickly walking down the hall, back to the cafeteria. She remembered earlier that day, when Lucy had said she found everything annoying. She probably also wanted to sit beside Jungkook. Soyou was sad. And angry at herself. Of course Lucy would like Jungkook as well. Who wouldn’t? He was perfection. Lucy had every right to like the same guy. So why was she feeling betrayed? This wasn’t right. She was being selfish. Lucy had given her the seat beside Jungkook, even though she herself liked him. It was only right of Soyou to do the same. But why was the thought of Jungkook and Lucy together so painful? Like a hammer pounding repeatedly on her chest. She wanted to let out a sob, but held it back. If she let out one tear now, she knew it wouldn’t stop there. She would transform into a waterfall. She took a deep breath to gain her composure. Lucy liked Jungkook. Jungkook probably liked Lucy. She could live with that. This was her friend she was talking about.

“Hey Soyou, what happened in the bathroom? Did you fall into wonderland and meet Alice?” Yuri joked.

“You were gone for quite some time,” Nara nodded. She was already on her third yogurt. Soyou forced a smile and sat back down.

“Yeah, there was a line today,” she murmured. Yuri and Nara nodded, accepting her excuse. Yuri grabbed a spoon and quickly scooped up some of Nara’s yogurt.

“YAH!” Nara exclaimed, and pulled the yogurt closer to herself.

“You already had two!” Yuri replied. Soyou smiled at the two. They were like cat and mouse.

“Hey guys.”

“”Lucy!” Yuri smiled and took her bag off of the seat beside her. “Had enough making out for one day?” Lcy blushed and ignored the statement. She smiled over at Soyou.

“Hey,” she said. Soyou awkwardly smiled back at her. She had such pretty eyes. Soyou couldn’t look into them. She was jealous. She was sad. She was frustrated. Why couldn’t it be her that Jungkook said such sweet things to? And why must Lucy like him back?